Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Has anyone else noticed from the posted pictures here and at kiDiamondback.com that there are several spots where the paint has already flaked off from the track? It doesn't look like your typical wear marks from the wheels either, they are big flakes like the paint didn't adhere properly. I can't seem to find the pictures where it shows detail of the flaking but the picture below above both supports shows what appears to be missing paint.

Diamondback%20022709%20066.jpg

Those are not where paint has "flaked off." It's the welds from where the track section were welded together and then smoothed down. The touch up paint hasn't been applied yet and most likely won't be until just before opening.

Has anyone else noticed from the posted pictures here and at kiDiamondback.com that there are several spots where the paint has already flaked off from the track? It doesn't look like your typical wear marks from the wheels either, they are big flakes like the paint didn't adhere properly. I can't seem to find the pictures where it shows detail of the flaking but the picture below above both supports shows what appears to be missing paint.

Those are not where paint has "flaked off." It's the welds from where the track section were welded together and then smoothed down. The touch up paint hasn't been applied yet and most likely won't be until just before opening.

Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought the only thing keeping the sections of track together were bolts.

so how long does paint generally last on steel coasters before ti starts looking bad?

The answer varies alot. For example, Chang at SFKK was originally painted yellow but it started flaking off the year it was installed. Soon after they painted it I believe purple and yellow but it faded after a year or two. 3 or 4 years ago they painted Chang yellow and blue and it is holding up very nice.

Edit:

I should add that I'm not implying the reason the blue and yellow paint job is holding up better is because of the color. In fact color probably doesn't have to do much with how well the paint holds up except you'll probably notice darker colors fading faster etc.

Thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought the only thing keeping the sections of track together were bolts.

Well the bolts are really what's doing the holding together. But the rails are welded and smoothed to make the ride even smoother. Mini gaps could potentially make the ride rougher, so they fill them in and smooth them out.

In my opinion, paint last 3 years or so before being noticeable faded (look at TTD), and 4 or 5 before it flakes (Millennium), and more time it starts looking bad IMO.

so how long does paint generally last on steel coasters before ti starts looking bad?

The answer varies alot. For example, Chang at SFKK was originally painted yellow but it started flaking off the year it was installed. Soon after they painted it I believe purple and yellow but it faded after a year or two. 3 or 4 years ago they painted Chang yellow and blue and it is holding up very nice.

Edit:

I should add that I'm not implying the reason the blue and yellow paint job is holding up better is because of the color. In fact color probably doesn't have to do much with how well the paint holds up except you'll probably notice darker colors fading faster etc.

I really like the yellow and blue. It was green and purple before and that was really ugly. I am sure it also has a lot to do with the quality of paint and the prep work. I would assume it cost quite a bit to paint a coaster. I would want to do it right so it last as long as possible.

The problem with Firehawk is that some of the red paint has indeed flaked off and you can see the brown primer that was used to cover up the original green paint. Some colors also fade faster than others. It also depends on the dyes that were used in the paint.

Those areas of missing paint on the rails, as others have said, is where the rails were grinded with a grinder to ensure a smooth connection between the two pieces to ensure the smoothest possible ride experience. Grinding, just like sanding wood, removes paint from the surface.

They need to Paint Flight Deck like no other!!! I would like to see Red track with Black Supports!!! that would be Sharp&Sleek looking :D

umm, no thanks, Firehawk is really similar to that as it is and we already have DB which is red, how bout a nice blue?

Drop Tower is fading but Flight Deck is by far the worst. I dont really care about the color of the track but i feel like Black or Dark Dark Gray supports would look amazing :) the track would look good in a blue of some sort, adding to the whole sky/flying effect. Cedar Fait does seem to be a fan of red lately too, look at DB, Firehawk, Maverick, Dragster, Fahrenheit... I like red but I'm just sayin.

Edit: WOOT WOOT 400pages!!!

Drop Tower is fading but Flight Deck is by far the worst. I dont really care about the color of the track but i feel like Black or Dark Dark Gray supports would look amazing smile.gif the track would look good in a blue of some sort, adding to the whole sky/flying effect. Cedar Fait does seem to be a fan of red lately too, look at DB, Firehawk, Maverick, Dragster, Fahrenheit... I like red but I'm just sayin.

Its true except Fahrenheit is not a Cedar Fair ride, that would be Hershey park.

Drop Tower is fading but Flight Deck is by far the worst. I dont really care about the color of the track but i feel like Black or Dark Dark Gray supports would look amazing smile.gif the track would look good in a blue of some sort, adding to the whole sky/flying effect. Cedar Fait does seem to be a fan of red lately too, look at DB, Firehawk, Maverick, Dragster, Fahrenheit... I like red but I'm just sayin.

Its true except Fahrenheit is not a Cedar Fair ride, that would be Hershey park.

Very True, sorry bout that was definitely not thinking straight but now excluding Fahrenheit and substituting in the Iron Dragon Track , you get my point about the red thing :huh:

(and again sorry i was just kinda on a roll and that popped into my mind)

Well I am thinking any day now testing will start hardcore! It has to have I think Don said couple thousand trips on the track for it to be ready. It will test from I would say afternoon to maybe even at night. Can't wait only 45 days away!

That looks like a cement pourer. Since it doesn't have a nickname like "Clifford" and "Casper" did, I'll call it "Smurfette".

And now, the annual stupid Tb question of the year:

How expensive would it be to have crome-plated supports on flight deck?

Yeah like you said TB thats a concrete pumper.

Chrome plating is not cheap. For example to have a standard light bar chrome plated that you would find on most off road pick up trucks, you are looking at somewhere between $275 - $525. Thats direct from a reputible plating company out of Nashville called Advanced Plating. Besides the initial cost you would then have polishing costs and chrome can look very nasty if not polished occasionaly. I just dont see it being very cost effective, but it would look amazing.

New Blog Update Diamondback Blog