Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Enought of the testing pictures of the train sitting on the lift. Hosenstly how many more do we need? I want to see a picture of the splash down!

Beings that there is a spash down on the ride I wonder if it will close in the rain?

I highly doubt rain would cause this ride to cease operation. What effect are you thinking it would have on the ride? overflow?

Well, alot of Cedar Fair rides close in the rain. Maverick, Magnum XL-200, Firehawk to just name a few. But since this ride has a spash down which I am sure will get the track wet and the in turn get the under carragie of the ride wet if it would stay open in light rain. I doubt the spash down pond will overflwo in a normal rain as there are lots of drainage areas to prevent that.

Maverick has a good rep for staying open in the rain. I head there anytime raing comes and I'm at the point. Higer rides often colse in poor weather so that may be the case with DB but it wouldn't effect the splashdown. everything is already wet.

Enought of the testing pictures of the train sitting on the lift. Hosenstly how many more do we need? I want to see a picture of the splash down!

Patience, young grasshopper. The pictures that were posted were not those of the train sitting on the lift. The train was actually moving up the lift. At the time, we were hoping to capture that splashdown picture for all to see, since the train was on the move. But as of yet, the webcam has not shown a picture of the splashdown. Believe me, I've been watching since 2:00. In that time, they've shown the splashdown pool with no train in it, as well as the standard lift hill and station/storage shed shots. And the webcam's refresh period has been very slow this afternoon. Someone will get it eventually...

WOOHOO! 800th post!

On the maverick in the rain issue IDK but I've ridden it in the rain and watched it run in rain that was heavy enough I thought it was weird that they still had it running.

As far as the DB splashdown, I hope they do make it look more natural. I'd love to see stone arond the border and maybe they could paint the bottom so you don't see the concrete. Really though it is all just extra toppings. I would be just as excited about DB wothout the splashdown.

But there are ripples in the pool if i am seeing it right. Although it is quite windy out... We'll see soon enough.

Three people were standing to the left of the splash pond when I saw the ripples, maybe we will get a new photo update today of a splash down.

Also I believe Cp coasters close down because of the wind, and the rain hitting riders in the face, at high speed rain hurts. Since Db runs around 80mph I think it will close in the rain some times, but not in a light shower. It has nothing to do with the track being wet, it has to do with rain, wind, and the rides speed.

As for a splash zone, I think standing along the fence under the final drop into the splash you will get misted on a windy day. They did not put all of that gravel and rocks there just for looks. I think there will be lots of water thrown up that way, and it was put there to allow water to run back down to a drain instead of killing the grass and turning it to mud.

The blue is not just dye. It's Copper Sulfate and also serves to keep down living organisms like Algae. I weorked for the Parks Dept in Fort Wayne and we used it in all man made ponds.

There is a dye based product out there called Aquashade. It filters certain wavelengths of light to help control aquatic plant growth and produces a dark blue color. It would be ideal for a application like the DB pool. It would not be a good control of algae if that becomes an issue though because the Aquashade is not really effective unless the water is about 3' deep or more.