Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

One other thing though and I think it will suck but I know Maverick has the water bombs and the water goes up and then comes back down and hits the track. Now it does it over and over and by the end of the season the track looks dirty because of the water and everything going onto it. I am sure this might happen because it looks like it will hit the track when it goes down back into the pool. It will look dirty a bit but it should be fine smile.gif

Well whats interesting is that KI's first "splashdown" on BLSC was stopped because it was to hard on the track as far as wear and tear, so my worry is will the same thing happen to D-back. Well just have to wait and see I suppose.

One other thing though and I think it will suck but I know Maverick has the water bombs and the water goes up and then comes back down and hits the track. Now it does it over and over and by the end of the season the track looks dirty because of the water and everything going onto it. I am sure this might happen because it looks like it will hit the track when it goes down back into the pool. It will look dirty a bit but it should be fine smile.gif

Well whats interesting is that KI's first "splashdown" on BLSC was stopped because it was to hard on the track as far as wear and tear, so my worry is will the same thing happen to D-back. Well just have to wait and see I suppose.

You sure it's hard on the track? My guess is that it's over-engineered and ridiculous to maintain.

Just thinking alittle bit about the splashdown. I am wondering how loud that will be in the back of the train also being in that area. I wonder if it will vibrate the train at all as well. Sooooo many questions I need to ride it :)

I usually do not post that often, but I would just like to say that if Diamondback's splashdown is anything like Sheikra at BGA, it's hardly noticeable, unless riding in the back where you may get lucky and feel some mist. In my opinion, it's more of an aesthetic feature than one for thrills, especially compared to the dive machines where the majority of the rows are hanging over the pool. The rooster tails really are mystifying in perosn though as I could watch Sheikra cycle all day, and that will most likely have to do until this summer :(

Well, the splash down at Backlot was not created by the trains themselves. Rather, it was created by a series of pumps that sprayed every time the train went by. Those were only removed for this past season, and they didn`t operate the last couple of weeks in 2007. On Diamondback, the splashdown is created by scoops in the actual trains, and not by pumps that have moving parts.

Just thinking alittle bit about the splashdown. I am wondering how loud that will be in the back of the train also being in that area. I wonder if it will vibrate the train at all as well. Sooooo many questions I need to ride it :)

I usually do not post that often, but I would just like to say that if Diamondback's splashdown is anything like Sheikra at BGA, it's hardly noticeable, unless riding in the back where you may get lucky and feel some mist. In my opinion, it's more of an aesthetic feature than one for thrills, especially compared to the dive machines where the majority of the rows are hanging over the pool. The rooster tails really are mystifying in perosn though as I could watch Sheikra cycle all day, and that will most likely have to do until this summer :(

You hit the nail right on the head. Diamondback's splashdown has nothing to do with getting wet, it's all about how it looks from the outside.

You hit the nail right on the head. Diamondback's splashdown has nothing to do with getting wet, it's all about how it looks from the outside.

So does that make it safe to judge this book by it's cover since it is about how it looks from the outside?

Wow, it's late and I'm tired. I'm sorry for the above post. Ignore me.

What if there was a really strong wind blowing in the same direction the train was going. Do you think that it could get you wet then?

Yes. I rode Sheikra back in 06' and I got a small amount of mist on my in the Splashdown.

^ Really? In the past I always see Maverick is the 1st one to close next to Dragster and Magnum. The Gemeni closes in a mist. A mist really? Come on!

the first time i rode maverick in '07 when i was in line it was spitting rain and they closed it and then the next year i rode it in a steady rain :blink: , it really didn't make much sense to me.

But in addition to it also serving as a breaking mechanism, correct??

With the weight and speed of the trains moving through that area, the water scoops are going to have minmal affect on slowing down the trains. When you are riding it, you will probably never any notice it. That one section will last one to two seconds and then you will be into the brake run so.

With the weight and speed of the trains moving through that area, the water scoops are going to have minmal affect on slowing down the trains. When you are riding it, you will probably never any notice it. That one section will last one to two seconds and then you will be into the brake run so.

I don't care about not knowing when I ride it, I was more interested in the operational functionality.

(emphasis added)

I certainly hope not. B & M does not normally engineer into their rides breaking mechanisms. Quite the opposite, actually. Though there was the matter of the cable mechanism originally built into Nitro restraints, then quickly and quietly removed.

Well, alot of Cedar Fair rides close in the rain. Maverick, Magnum XL-200, Firehawk to just name a few. But since this ride has a spash down which I am sure will get the track wet and the in turn get the under carragie of the ride wet if it would stay open in light rain. I doubt the spash down pond will overflwo in a normal rain as there are lots of drainage areas to prevent that.

I noticed that when it rains at KI, they only shut down a few rides. I would hope DB would close for light rain.. having ridden MF in light rain, I can assure you that raindrops feel more like thumbtacks at 93 mph.

On my first trip ever to CP, they had Skyhawk, Maxair, and Power Tower running in a downpour. Everything else was closed though. For some reason I thought the sopping wet ride on Maxair in the pouring rain was fun.. yes, I am crazy. ;)

^ Really? In the past I always see Maverick is the 1st one to close next to Dragster and Magnum. The Gemeni closes in a mist. A mist really? Come on!

the first time i rode maverick in '07 when i was in line it was spitting rain and they closed it and then the next year i rode it in a steady rain :blink: , it really didn't make much sense to me.

Don't want to steer the conversation off-topic too much, but did want to point out that in '07, Cedar Point had a knee-jerk reaction to the 'Magnum incident' and started a policy of closing basically all coasters in a very light rain. (Including Wicked Twister, with its magnetic brakes and one train). In 2008, the policy was basically reverted back to its old form.