Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I just noticed all of the lights hanging off of the station and some heading down the exit ramp. The ares is starting to get its feel! I can't wait to start seeing the queue start to take shape too.

I have a question though because I'm not really sure what the line will look like. You see how there are 2 little parts of concrete sticking out of the big massive slab of concrete? Is the one on the right right next to the end of the exit going to be the entrance and the little part of concrete sticking out on the left going to continue under the lift the up the stairs into the station?

EDIT: Bright!

It is going to be cool to ride DB at night don't you think? They have the station and splashdown lit up nicely. I was thinking the same thing goofy on the queue area, but I have been wrong before.. <_<

Um...my sister just called me and said she saw Drop Tower testing. Could this be true? :blink:

Well seeing as that the park opens in just a bit more than a month, I can bet on it that they're testing ALL of their rides. Not all the attention goes to the new coaster lol.

DB Blog confirms all of these posts...

It's that time of year!

March 14, 2009

While test runs on Diamondback continue, other rides in the park are awakening from a long winter's nap.

The trains have been placed on the tracks of several of the park's coasters and initial testing has begun on rides such as Drop Tower.

We hope you're as excited as we are to get the 2009 season started! - Don Helbig

Wow goofy, You totally confused me......

:lol: I try to explain things and end up confusing everyone. I almost put a note before it to warn people before reading it.

Also on the DB blog:

We hope you're as excited as we are to get the 2009 season started!

- Don Helbig

I don't think he is talking to those of us who check the blog everyday and are on KICentral everyday. :D

New Blog Update

Diamondback stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet and an incredible 74-degree angle, reaching a speed of 80 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds! Riders on Diamondback will experience more than 30 seconds of airtime as they snake their way around 5,282 feet of track.

- Don Helbig

Heres the big takeaway, more than 30 seconds of airtime! Voyage is 24.2 seconds of airtime so Diamondback is 6 more seconds of airtime, that is insane.

New Blog Update

Diamondback stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet and an incredible 74-degree angle, reaching a speed of 80 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds! Riders on Diamondback will experience more than 30 seconds of airtime as they snake their way around 5,282 feet of track.

- Don Helbig

Heres the big takeaway, more than 30 seconds of airtime! Voyage is 24.2 seconds of airtime so Diamondback is 6 more seconds of airtime, that is insane.

Ya I know!! I alredy went off about it in the posts that got erased :(

I agree, 30 seconds is insane. Also if you take the ride being 3 minutes long and take out roughly 30 seconds for the lift hill and brake run times, you will be out of your seat for 20% of the ride with airtime. That is massive airtime!

I agree, 30 seconds is insane. Also if you take the ride being 3 minutes long and take out roughly 30 seconds for the lift hill and brake run times, you will be out of your seat for 20% of the ride with airtime. That is massive airtime!

This seems similar to Behemoth, but could potentially be more!!

I know every drop on Behemoth I got great air, including the hammerhead, which I've never really gotten air from the hammerhead on any other B&M hyper before...so that will be the first big D-back test!! (gee, I wish someone could attest to this already??...nevermind, move along people!! :lol:)

In all seriousness, I count 8 drops/air opportunities on Behemoth (incld hammerhead), while D-back has 9, with two drops being much taller/better...so the outlook looks good!!

All that said, I'd still take the quick air kill-shots on S:ROS and El Toro over a B&M any day, but I like things a little rough!! :D

I was thinking the same thing so for 2minutes and 70seconds you will be flat on your butt and for over 30 seconds mabey more (if sitting in back) you are out of your seat!

^^ and ^ B&M hypers have generally been "if you want any air you'll have to ride in the back to get it" coasters, but they really got it right with Behemoth. The air in the front of Behemoth is outstanding, and in the back it's just as good. The hammerhead on Behemoth, particularly in the back, whips you down the hill and really gets your attention!

Diamondback may very well be an interesting coaster in that the first half of the ride, particularly the first drop, may very well be better in the back and the second half may be better in the front, particularly on those bunny hills and that drop just after you exit the second helix heading down into the splashdown.

if anyone cares, db is testing right now and you can see it on the webcam...i have been watching it for about 10 min now

Yeah, looks like 2 trains. The sun is making it hard to see inside the storage area, but I definitely see 2 on the track.

I just cant get over the 30 secs of airtime. I was thinking about the second drop, it might only be 22' shorter than the first but it drops way into a ravine so the peak is much lower than the lift hill. I think we'll be flying over it. Looked quick in the testing vids. I really think DB has a great shot at being my overall fav coaster.

EDIT: ^ I think that's a great question. Don't know the answer either.

Just a dumb question. While they are testing are they actually training the employees that will be running the ride? Since it is a new ride and all.

Great question at this point I highly doubt they have started training on Diamondback outside of the management staff. However they will most likely start training very soon as the park draws closer to opening.