Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Well those new pix show off the addition of the chain link fence in the splashdown. I'm not sure what was ever decided what it was for, but my guess is to keep stray ducks and geese away from the moving trains, if one was bold enough to hang out on the splashdown!

The fence is just another deterent to keep wandering park guests off the track. Hopefully if someone does wander out that way, the multiple fences give the ride opps enough time to notice a park guest and to shut the ride down.

Well, at such a tiny height, that fence isn't deterring anyone! :P

Well those new pix show off the addition of the chain link fence in the splashdown. I'm not sure what was ever decided what it was for, but my guess is to keep stray ducks and geese away from the moving trains, if one was bold enough to hang out on the splashdown!

The fence is just another deterent to keep wandering park guests off the track. Hopefully if someone does wander out that way, the multiple fences give the ride opps enough time to notice a park guest and to shut the ride down.

Well, at such a tiny height, that fence isn't deterring anyone! :P

Funny, but I would imagine the fence is somewhere between 4-5 foot tall. Try climbing that in submerged water, very dificult.

Funny, but I would imagine the fence is somewhere between 4-5 foot tall. Try climbing that in submerged water, very dificult.

I'm not quite sure I'm buying those dimensions that you're selling, but alright...assuming we are talking about the same fence here, and acknowledging that RR is a learned individual when it comes to coasters.

I just looked back at some of the photos and it appears th efence goes about 3-6 inches above the water, and it you look at the height of the small wall in the splashdown pictures, it can't be any hight than two feet. So actually, you're only looking at a maximum of 2.5 feet, if that high. I would say 1.5 or 2 feet high.

Yeah looking back at some pictures, I would agree my initial estimate was a little generous. I would say the wall is between 2 to 2.5 feet and the fence probably hoovers around 2.5 to 3ft tall. The wire fence around the pond is more like 4-5 feet tall. My estimating is off today, sinus infection and no protractor to use.

Are we sure that the fence is directly up against the track? Because I imagine having that fence between the splashdown zone (ie where the scoopers go through) and the rest of the pond would deter floating things (like ducks, basketballs, etc.) from getting near the scoopers and damaging them (or worse the train and the track too.)

The fence is in fact a few feet away from the track, allowing for the train to fly by inside the fence. I still maintain the fence is more to deter birds and other objects from getting in the way. I think the water and all the other fences should be plenty to deter people. If someone does happen to jump in to the lake, I think the ops will have plenty of time for shut down before the person gets in the way, since they have to swim some.

Ummm, don't be so sure. If people really want to do something stupid in the splashdown, they most likely would succeed. Also, you wouldn't have to swim. The splashdown starts out about six inches deep and doesn't get too deep to where you have to swim. As to shutting down the ride, after the MCBR there are no brakes, there is no way to stop the train. Let's just hope people won't attempt anything stupid or go somewhere they shouldn't be.

** posted from my iPod Touch!! B)

The photos in the gallery pretty much prove that they did in fact do something to turn the water a blueish color. I also am convinced that we'll have a stream running through those rocks in the backround. If you look closely, you can see a canvas cover that the rocks sit on -- typically used to retain water for waterfall and pond effects.

Yep -- that's not going to stop a duck if it REALLY wants to meet its maker. It's more like the random tree branch or basketball that could potentially end up in the water. Not only could it damage the scoops, but imagine what could happen if an object were picked up and thrown onto the midway.

The photos in the gallery pretty much prove that they did in fact do something to turn the water a blueish color. I also am convinced that we'll have a stream running through those rocks in the backround. If you look closely, you can see a canvas cover that the rocks sit on -- typically used to retain water for waterfall and pond effects.

I would imagine that Copper Sulfate has been added to the water to control algae, thats why there is a blue color. As for the stream in the background, I have not heard anyone that wasn't convinced it would be flowing with water. Im just waiting for them to turn it on.

I would imagine that Copper Sulfate has been added to the water to control algae, thats why there is a blue color. As for the stream in the background, I have not heard anyone that wasn't convinced it would be flowing with water. Im just waiting for them to turn it on.

I'm not saying anyone wasn't convinced. I'm just saying that we have hard evidence now.

^^You sure, a duck needs a landing area in order to hit the water (and of course take off again) if the area between the fence and the end of the pool is narrow enough a duck is going to have a hard time landing in such an area.

Really? A Canadian Goose didn't have much trouble landing on an Apollo's Chariot train front, glancing off it and on to Fabio's nose during media day.

Terpy, who knows these things, he tells not how (in this case)...

When a goose hits your eye like a big pizza pie

That's Apollo!