Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

It looks as though there are some new pictures up:

KI Diamondback Photo Gallery

Cool new pics!!

D-back looks so tranquil without the future masses and hellions! :lol:

I'm still baffled at the queue being within a Dwight Howard's arm-reach away from the lift motor...but I guess!! :blink: I wonder how loud this will be?

I doubt it will be very loud. We might not even notice its there. On Flight Deck, the motor is right above the front of the station, and I never would have known that it was there if I hadn't looked for it before. The only noise that might be problematic would be the anti-rollback device. I've never ridden a B&M Hyper, so I can't attest to how noisy they are.

Need I remind the younger posters on here about King Cobra`s line. You passed immediately under the lift and right next to the lift motor (which was separated from the line by a tall fence (ie like nine feet tall). So passing right by the lift motor is not something new to Kings Island. But since King Cobra last operated in 2001, it will be eight years since the ride ran at the park.

I really like the light fixtures that they have put up. They look modern, but yet also have a touch of nostalgia that reflects the old gas lamps that used to light the area. I wonder if the two little stubs on the lamp posts (seen in this picture) will be used to hang banners, similar to what can be found on light posts at Carowinds as seen in the picture below.

IMG_5213.jpg

Looks like it is a possibility those light poles could get banners, but there will have to be some kind of extension on the poles for the banners to work. If the poles are going to have banners it looks like one on each side. They also look like those could be part of the design as well. Should be interesting, but would look great with banners flying.

the webcam is showing the same angles it did during the first test runs. i wonder what's going on today?

They're showing us Vortex's new paint job.

Edit: And the new covers for the DB queue. Thanks Topgun.

but it's a Diamondback webcam. what is the point of a Diamondback WEBCAM if it doesn't show Diamondback? something is up. your just naive lol.

^^ Easy there cowboy. No need to discuss naiveties. After all the hoopla that arose when they stopped DB on the lift hill last time, why would they show it again, if this was the case. However, nothing has to be going on with DB. I think I like looking at the plaza under construction more than I do a dormant DB.

the webcam is showing the same angles it did during the first test runs. i wonder what's going on today?

They're showing us Vortex's new paint job.

Edit: And the new covers for the DB queue. Thanks Topgun.

but it's a Diamondback webcam. what is the point of a Diamondback WEBCAM if it doesn't show Diamondback? something is up. your just naive lol.

Maybe because we've seen Diamondback on the webcam all winter, and it would be nice to see other parts of the park to get hyped for?

Guest KINGSISLANDMASTER

Why Are They destroing The Middle Plaza Between The RT Junction And WildT Photo Area...

The new pictures look great!! I love the picture of the splashdown...that area really looks so nice. Just look at it compared to one of the first construction pics when it's a giant mudhole! I can't wait to see all of the new changes to the park on opening day. I probably won't even recognize it!

~Ash

The whole area looks so awesome. It's amazing how different the area is from just under a year ago. I can't wait to be on Diamondback on April 18th.

I just wanted to repost this video, to bring up just how different the area is, and how much has been done in just under a year.

Thanks for posting that video, kjkjkj! It seems like just a couple of days ago that we were all watching that video, anticipating opening day of last year! I can't believe it was that long ago already! It's crazy to look at the construction zone....look how far everything has come in such a short time. And I still LOL when she says..."is it a theater, a new restaurant?" Hahaha! I just remember how crazy we were all going at this time last year trying to figure out what Diamondback was going to be like, or what it would be named. And here we are, just a few weeks away from getting to ride it!

~Ash

^^I agree completely!! It so amazing how much speculation me and my friends were making! Down to the color and length of the "ride" lol. Where does time go??

I just had fun sitting back and reading everything that everyone had to say on here about it. It's funny to go back and read the originial rumour topics...people were always like "NO, there isn't enough space there, you're wrong..blahblahblah." So funny. I had fun when the teaser signs were posted on the fence and everyone was going crazy trying to decipher the clues.

I don't know where time goes! But it definitely goes a LOT faster the older you get. Except, of course, when you are waiting for a certain date in April to get here. :)

~Ash

No, there is something there. What is that buildng in pretty much the center of the picture, in the center of the path? The one with the new metal roof similar to the DB gift shop, and station.

DBwebcam2.jpg