Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

The better question is why they would want to.

Supports for many coasters are in areas accessible to the public, most of whom know to leave them alone! :)

Hopefully no one will vandalize them too badly... The only thing i will do, and have done to supports are look, & hug them! :D

True. But I wasn`t even thinking of the supports that are currently accessible to the public on Diamondback.

Rugrats Runaway Reptar has several supports that are in the middle of the entrance midway. And The Vortex has one lone support that lands right along the brick bench on the Backlot Stunt Coaster midway.

With the miniature version of the ride being put in place at the front of the park, I have a question--now that I've actually seen it run. I will first start by saying I'm not anywhere close to being an expert on ride construction. I've learned all I know from RCT. Translation: I really know absolutely nothing about this topic, so that is why I am searching for answers. Please keep those statements in mind as you read my question/conern!

From the looks of the model, it looks like you're in the station and then you are immediately going up the chain lift. Wouldn't the ride need some momentum to make it up the chain lift? Isn't that why all of the other coasters, with the exception of the inverted ones, have a little bit of actual track before the big chain lift? This is just concerning me and I know someone has the answer.

By the way, I'm sorry if this has already been brought up.

Most traditional coasters have a station that is sloped to allow the train to roll down and engage the lift. Flight Deck is a perfect example of this.

However, some coasters utilize nearly flat stations. The late King Cobra had a similar set up. In those cases (which I believe will be the case for Diamondback) the ride employs what are called kicker wheels. These wheels propel the train forward, providing it with the necessary speed to be able to engage the lift chain.

Millennium Force's has a slightly different setup than i believe will be used on this coaster. MF's cable lift has a catch-car which slides under the train while it's inside the station and drags the train up the hill. If you watch at the beginning of the POV video, you can see the friction wheels spinning and propelling the train forward to latch onto the chain lift. In order for the train to exit the station, the track in the station will also be equipped with friction wheels.

Hope that clarifies a few things. However, I can in no way verify the validity of this. I am just going on the review of previous coasters and some of the info provided about this coaster. (they did say that only the lift hill supports would be yellow though so...)

EDIT: Wow lots of posts in a short time! :) wasn't ready for that. Sorry for repeating you RZ.

After staring at the webcam shots all week it's like moving to Hi-Def television! Thanks for the nice photo.

lol thats exactly what i said almost word for word out loud!

Oh man! That was my favorite thread! It's not closed, its acually missing!

So not cool! What was wrong with it?! were too many ppl actually taking it seriously?!

R.I.P "Camping Out and Waiting For Diamondback" you will be missed...

RIP :(

With the miniature version of the ride being put in place at the front of the park, I have a question--now that I've actually seen it run. I will first start by saying I'm not anywhere close to being an expert on ride construction. I've learned all I know from RCT. Translation: I really know absolutely nothing about this topic, so that is why I am searching for answers. Please keep those statements in mind as you read my question/conern!

From the looks of the model, it looks like you're in the station and then you are immediately going up the chain lift. Wouldn't the ride need some momentum to make it up the chain lift? Isn't that why all of the other coasters, with the exception of the inverted ones, have a little bit of actual track before the big chain lift? This is just concerning me and I know someone has the answer.

By the way, I'm sorry if this has already been brought up.

If you look at Vortex, the last car is just barely out of the station when the front chain hits the lift. It is possible :)