Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

"Topping off the lift hill requires the use of a second crane, which arrived on property early this morning. Once the second crane is in place, the work that needs to be done in this area of the ride should happen rather quickly."

Don Helbig: www.kiDiamondback.com

So the hold up was they were waiting for the second crane to arrive. Cool.

All I know is NOW first drop degree angle should be legitimately confirmed!!! Again...not that I'm doubting it. :D

It also depends on how long it takes them to set up this additional crane. Keep in mind that it took them the better part of a day to set up the first large crawler crane "Clifford."

EDIT: It looks like they have the second crane in place. This second crane is a white crane.

ki_dback_1.jpg

Here's the deal.

The lift hill was intended to be topped off between 9am and noon today, however it was determined that the wind was just too great so they'll do it early tomorrow.

On that same token, if you guys thought I was lying about The Beast entrance changing forever... the prophecy is being fulfilled.

db10290814.JPG

Latest D'Back Construction Photos (10-29-08)

Casper is "the friendly ghost". This is a massive, menacing piece of machinery... it must be the mountainous marshmallow man![/alliteration] :P

As it relates to Diamondback's destruction of The Beast's entrance... I'm in complete agreement with those above. I really hope Kings Island does something special for the new Beast entrance. This is a world class coaster, and it'll be celebrating 30 years... it deserves an entrance sign/plaza/area that can match the awesomeness of the ride itself.

I just look for The Beast Entry plaza to be closer the station now and with the lower ques possibly shortened. I would either expect the same sign back or possibly one that reflects the 30th aniv. Something like this that they did for the 25th. The Beast has always been low key from apperance and I dont really anticipate that to change with a big flashy entrance.

31166362.100_3071.jpg

I find Casper quite fitting, seeing as like a ghost he snuck in to the park today...

But I digress.

I do not have great expectations that The Beast will have a showcase entrance next year. I expect it to be very modest but will leave us wanting nothing more for the entrance.

Now on to the matter at hand, the new pics on the Diamondback sight are great. Love the shots that show the first drop and the towering lift hill support. Just imagine opening day and the first train screaming down the hill.