3 questions about things I noticed yesterday

IBEW_Sparky

OK, for those of you who are employess of the park, or industry insiders who may know this information, I came up with three questions about 2 rides while at the park yesterday. First of all, while in the rear car of the red Racer train, I noticed 2 seatbelt receptacles attached to the back of the car in front of me. What purpose do those serve? the only thing I could come up with was that they are extra parts... but then I wondered why they would be kept there as opposed to under the operators control console for instance. My second question has to do with The Beast's lift hill chain on the first lift. Is there any particular reason it goes incredibly slow, then picks up speed for 6 feet, then slows down again before the release at the top other than the "impending doom" factor? My third question has to do with the trims. Would The Beast feasibly run safely and be able to handle the stresses of operating without the trims on the first drop and the next subsequent drop? I found myself saying to myself "Man Id Love to ride this without those two trims!!" every single time I got on yesterday. Now I know in today's World of every Business owner in America being terrified by and cowering to Insurance companies and Law Firms it will never happen.... but as I said my question is simply could it run safely?

OK, for those of you who are employess of the park, or industry insiders who may know this information, I came up with three questions about 2 rides while at the park yesterday. First of all, while in the rear car of the red Racer train, I noticed 2 seatbelt receptacles attached to the back of the car in front of me. What purpose do those serve? the only thing I could come up with was that they are extra parts... but then I wondered why they would be kept there as opposed to under the operators control console for instance.

Those seat belt connectors serve as connections for a special type of restraint that is used for guests that lack both arms and both legs, the same restraint can be fitted to The Beast trains as well. A special restraint fits over the head of the guest and connects to those two seat belt ends and an end under the seat too.

My second question has to do with The Beast's lift hill chain on the first lift. Is there any particular reason it goes incredibly slow, then picks up speed for 6 feet, then slows down again before the release at the top other than the "impending doom" factor?

Roller coasters are designed with "block" systems, the purpose of these block systems is to separate areas of the coaster track into different blocks or sections, allowing only one train in a section at a time. On The Beast the train ahead of it must clear the 2nd lift hill before the train on the first lift hill can go over, this is why it runs slow, then as soon as the train ahead of it clears the 2nd lift it picks up. As for slowing down again, this is due to the need of more energy and power used to pull the train over the apex of the hill.

My third question has to do with the trims. Would The Beast feasibly run safely and be able to handle the stresses of operating without the trims on the first drop and the next subsequent drop? I found myself saying to myself "Man Id Love to ride this without those two trims!!" every single time I got on yesterday. Now I know in today's World of every Business owner in America being terrified by and cowering to Insurance companies and Law Firms it will never happen.... but as I said my question is simply could it run safely?

The park always has the safety of its guests put first. Trim brakes have always been on both drops to cut down on wear and tear of the trains and track due to the high speeds and forces created.

OK, for those of you who are employess of the park, or industry insiders who may know this information, I came up with three questions about 2 rides while at the park yesterday. First of all, while in the rear car of the red Racer train, I noticed 2 seatbelt receptacles attached to the back of the car in front of me. What purpose do those serve? the only thing I could come up with was that they are extra parts... but then I wondered why they would be kept there as opposed to under the operators control console for instance.

Those seat belt connectors serve as connections for a special type of restraint that is used for guests that lack both arms and both legs, the same restraint can be fitted to The Beast trains as well. A special restraint fits over the head of the guest and connects to those two seat belt ends and an end under the seat too.

I had no idea that's what those were for, but it makes sense.

Both no arms and no legs??? That sounds pretty scary!! I actually saw a video of a guy like that in the late 80's when I was like 8 years-old...it's an image I'll never forget nor want to see again!!

(And yet, my Boxing Helena DVD sits a foot away from me...but what can I say? I'm a Twin Peaks fan and it's still sealed in plastic! ;) )

I don't think Cedar Fair uses these anymore. They have a much stricter policy on handicapped/disabled guest riding rides. If you can't hold on and sit up on your own they will NOT let you ride!

My third question has to do with the trims. Would The Beast feasibly run safely and be able to handle the stresses of operating without the trims on the first drop and the next subsequent drop? I found myself saying to myself "Man Id Love to ride this without those two trims!!" every single time I got on yesterday. Now I know in today's World of every Business owner in America being terrified by and cowering to Insurance companies and Law Firms it will never happen.... but as I said my question is simply could it run safely?

If they would not use the tim brakes The Beast would fall apart and you would probably be knocked out.

I don't think Cedar Fair uses these anymore. They have a much stricter policy on handicapped/disabled guest riding rides. If you can't hold on and sit up on your own they will NOT let you ride!

I'm pretty sure they will still use it if the need arises. When I worked at The Beast in 2007 we were still training people how to use it. I have never seen it used in a situation where it was necessary but I have put it together in testing and heard stories of its use.

Also if gordon bombay says that they still have them there for use, then they will still be used should the need arise.

If they would not use the tim brakes The Beast would fall apart and you would probably be knocked out.

And you know this how exactly?

Well, one day back in 1985 or 1986 I rode The Beast and there were no brakes. At that time the turns were not banked as they are today. Let me just say that was one hell of a ride. I was a little scared going into the helix. It was much smoother then but it did not hurt us at all. In fact we ran around to ride it again but by the time we got on the problem was corrected.

Fixed "breaks"

And you know this how exactly?

Ok next time you go to Kings Island ride The Beast sit in the last seat in the train in the back and see how you feel. I would rather have the ride slower so it is more enjoyable.

So when did they bank the turns? Hmm thought they were from day one

I'm not sure but the first right turn after the main drop, turns near the tunnel where the tires used to be and in the helix were all flatter than they are now. I have been searching for a date but so far I can't find one. But I have visited the park at least once each year since 1985 so it was sometime after that.

OK... wow, thats all I can say is wow.... I was truly hoping my statement about Park Employee or industry insider would have made it clearly obvious I was looking for reliable answers based on true fact.... like the ones Gordon graciously gave in the first reply. Please, would a Mod lock this?