Press Release: 2008 Halloween Haunt Info!

BoddaH1994

I did, back in 2005 when they remodeled it to Fear Street Nights and actually made the lighting, sound and scenic appeal worse than when it was the House of Darkness, one of my favorite mazes from 04 (second only to Sleepy Hollow Horror). They made almost everything way too bright and took out almost every bit of creepiness/scariness the house originally had, in favor of a more up kept appearance to help add to the house's story of it being for sale (fat lot of good that did) and also trying to tell the story of Emily at the same time (also fat lot of good that did).

I was referring to this year.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have attended since the begining, I have noticed the changes through the years and the non changes. Yes some of the haunts have stayed the same a new name here or there and some have completely changed or are new. I think the overall experience is what people come to HH for. I know going in that the haunts will not be the best around, but they are still good. The Fearzones are always a nice break and the roamers are great. The best part is the fog that overtakes the park, the chill in the air, and ridding some of the best coasters around. The parks best atmosphere is during HH...

Now I could go spend about the same amount of money for a better maze like Darkness in St. Louis or Deadwood Acres in Pataskala, but I dont get the same atmoshpere or bang for my buck as I do at KI. Thats why I visit HH every year and occasionaly will visit one of the larger independent haunts around the midwest... I think thats also why the bigger haunts like Darkness, Deadwood Acres, The Headless Horseman will do an attendance of 30,000 to 40,000 people during their seasson and HH can do the same over a weekend.

haloweenstates-1.jpg

Politics & religion have nothing on Halloween Haunt on this site. It never ceases to amaze me how discussing this event can become so heated… it’s always a good read.

Whenever this time rolls around I think of what Linus says in The Great Pumpkin…”There are 3 things in life I have learned never to discuss, Religion, politics & The Great Pumpkin”…Linus was a wise boy.

What I enjoy about the HH topics is the passion in which people debate…myself included. Halloween Haunt is the one time of the year where I feel at least equal with most of the people on this board…the majority of the posters here know the park and the rides 10 times better than I do…but Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and I think I know Halloween just as well as anyone here…or at least what I believe Halloween should be.

Another thing I enjoy about the HH topics is that they manage to even drag most of the Moderators into them to give their opinion…not something that happens with most other subjects.

Here’s to a VERY lively Halloween Season!

I know going in that the haunts will not be the best around, but they are still good. The Fearzones are always a nice break and the roamers are great. The best part is the fog that overtakes the park, the chill in the air, and ridding some of the best coasters around. The parks best atmosphere is during HH...

You summed up my thoughts exactly.

Guest TombraiderTy

New CornSTALKERS in Action Zone, hmm? Well that sucks...

Not saying that it'll suck, but the theme fit great with Rivertown. Oh well, not much reason to complain about that. But I would like a NEW scare-zone, not an old one made bigger. A new theme to work with even. Like "Zombie Zone" between International Street and the entrance to Coney Mall. Add cheap walls around the Airbrush shop structure, make it look like a barn. Add an overturned tractor, dead cow, ect., make it like a good farm for a zombie horror movie. Then bring in the living dead :D

I couldn't agree more Standbyme, HH and Halloween bring up some of the most heated debates on these boards. The only thing that I remember bringing up more was when WinterFest was brought back.

I think anytime you mix a specific Holiday with any religious ties with a public company you will always have a debate. It really is like trying to put out a fire with gas...

I figured I would post this to get a different view of Halloween Haunt.

This post is on a Halloween Horror Nights Fansite. It from a woman that lives in Florida and has never been to Kings Islands Halloween Haunt/Fearfest before. Look at how her views are different than some people on here that go every year.

http://forum.hhnvault.com/index.php?showto...ost&p=58040

When she was describing that tunnel in Trail of Terror, was it there for FearFest 06? Because I didn't get a chance to go on ToT last year, and I was wandering if they just added it last year...

I definatley need to try and get to HH on a Friday! I've always gone on a saturday, and we normally wait for 45 minutes per house, and only get on maybe 2 or 3. And the park is PACKED! I was wandering if you guys think it's better on Fridays. Due to the houses being less crowded, do the scareactors do a better job of "getting" people than on Saturdays?

Will the Wasteland Idea be returning to Action Zone? That was just demented and I loved it. Last year the overall atmosphere was amazing but I thought a couple mazes were a little disappointing (mainly because of line backup inside the maze) and the lines were outrageous. Hopefully they find a way to make capacity better this year.

But don't get me wrong Halloween Haunt is my favorite time of the year for KI. I live for those cool foggy nights. I'm getting extremely anxious!

Urgent Scare is a perfect idea. Hopefully that capacity is good because that line will likely be several hours long. I'm expecting that they will go all out on this one, making each room more horrifying than the last. I'm mean, it's not gonna be their biggest Haunt investment for nothing!

Guest TombraiderTy

That Florida local's HH TR was a pleasure to read! While I think she underrated Massacre Manor, she did a good job of portraying many things and even remembered stuff better than I did after several trips through the attraction.

On the topic of Halloween Haunt... Who thinks that the insult house will return this year? If it's anything like it was in 2007, I'd be all against it. But 2006's "Heckle and Howl" was a great addition and fun. The three I best remember, both from Howl, were:

"There's this great new ride just over there [pointing towards park entrance]. It's called I-75. You just walk into the middle of this large thing of pavement and stand there. There'll be a truck coming at you, but don't worry, it's all part of the fun"

"[Pointing at a girl wearing bunny-ears and myself, wearing a Santa hat] Are you both retarded? It's Halloween! You must be Holiday rejects..."

"My mother's dead. She was hit by a car. I was the one driving it."

Now the 2007 version... terrible terrible terrible. People want to laugh at funny and clever insults, not hear something like "You probably make your mom regret not getting an abortion." That lacks any humor. I don't know what the park was thinking when they turned the insults into true insults instead of things people could laugh at.

The WasteLand's gonna get even MORE demented now that a collection of scarecrows have made their abode within the confines of Ol' Shantytown (TimberWolf pathway). I think that will be my old home this year again.

And the insult house is not returning this year. At least, not in the form of it was last year. It's now like 2006's Heckle and Howl, but more kid-oriented, for the upcoming Howl-O-Fest, and it's set up in the Picnic Grove.

Again, I didn't get to take pictures of it, but I will swear up and down that it's there, fully set up and everything.

Guest TombraiderTy

^If you could explain just where CornSTALKERS exactly is, that'd be great. And any new features of it this year.

Also, why did they fail to acknowledge the Wasteland in the Press Release?

....And the insult house is not returning this year. At least, not in the form of it was last year. It's now like 2006's Heckle and Howl, but more kid-oriented, for the upcoming Howl-O-Fest, and it's set up in the Picnic Grove. ....

My garsh, they DO listen.

This is a major and much needed improvement. Halloween can be fun...but making fun of peoples' mental abilities, sexuality, etc., was indeed playing with fire, for no reason. It is good to see this major change has been made.

I hope all who enjoy Halloween festivities have a fantastic time at Halloween Haunt!

Enjoy!

Guest TombraiderTy

^Surprising they actually did something that guests wanted, huh? :)

I am glad to hear it won't be returning as the insult house. Too bad Heckle and Howl seems sorta dead though... but I'm kinda wondering, how do yo insult little kids? Cause they often can't tell when you're joking...

But 2006's "Heckle and Howl" was a great addition and fun. The three I best remember, both from Howl, were:

"There's this great new ride just over there [pointing towards park entrance]. It's called I-75. You just walk into the middle of this large thing of pavement and stand there. There'll be a truck coming at you, but don't worry, it's all part of the fun"

"[Pointing at a girl wearing bunny-ears and myself, wearing a Santa hat] Are you both retarded? It's Halloween! You must be Holiday rejects..."

"My mother's dead. She was hit by a car. I was the one driving it."

Now the 2007 version... terrible terrible terrible. People want to laugh at funny and clever insults, not hear something like "You probably make your mom regret not getting an abortion." That lacks any humor. I don't know what the park was thinking when they turned the insults into true insults instead of things people could laugh at.

2006's Howl was a total baller.

^If you could explain just where CornSTALKERS exactly is, that'd be great. And any new features of it this year.

Also, why did they fail to acknowledge the Wasteland in the Press Release?

They don't normally acknowledge the zones that encompass themed areas of the park (Action Zone, Coney Mall, Rivertown), only the fear zones are said for some reason (worksite, cornstalkers, cemetary drive, etc). Of course, 2005 marked the debut of the official 2nd scare zone alongside Coney Maul, The Curse of Sleepy Hollow in Rivertown.

Oh, and that walkway that goes right behind Congo Falls and beside Drop Zone's queue line is where CornStalkers will be. It's the same path that is used for outside vendors to sell concert merchandise during TimberWolf.

....so up until last year, had every one of the mazes been designed by a higher power (i.e.: Paramount Design) and not the individual Entertainment Department themselves? And this and last year mark mazes made by our own Ent. teams (ClubBlood and UrgentScare)?

....And the insult house is not returning this year. At least, not in the form of it was last year. It's now like 2006's Heckle and Howl, but more kid-oriented, for the upcoming Howl-O-Fest, and it's set up in the Picnic Grove. ....

My garsh, they DO listen.

This is a major and much needed improvement. Halloween can be fun...but making fun of peoples' mental abilities, sexuality, etc., was indeed playing with fire, for no reason. It is good to see this major change has been made.

I hope all who enjoy Halloween festivities have a fantastic time at Halloween Haunt!

Enjoy!

Someone had passed that information on to me a couple months ago.

It's very good to hear that the park was receptive to their guests and made this move.

What ever will Tassels Do?

^ You know, you mention that and it makes me wonder? I would have LOVED to see Cornstalkers really put into and developed in Rivertown, like starting around the entrance of ST and ending around Tombstone Terror-tory. Just, the whole area... one massive fearzone! I would have liked to see wasteland developed more in AZ... I think the theme of it really just sits nicer in AZ, think about... Crushed cars (some stacked), 55 gallon barrels everywhere, camo netting, beacon lights and strobes, sirens, crazy demented club that has fallen to hell.... it just all fits; or at least a nicer than Cornstalkers will!

Also, when will fearzones at KI be treated as such, and NOT have lines? Ugh... -Hauntguy

Yeah but I just think for this year, Corstalkers in Rivertown would be pushing it. I have a feeling with the construction and the attractions in that area already for HH it will be very very crowded. Plust the line for TombStone Territory can have gigantic lines as can RedBeards Revenge. I just think this is a one year move to help eliviate some of the congestion in an aread that will not be able to handle its normal capacity.

So rather than just shut CornStalkers down for the year it has been moved, I for one wont complain.

Also, when will fear zones at KI be treated as such, and NOT have lines? Ugh... -Hauntguy

They used to not be "lined" scarezones. Speaking specifically about CornStalkers, it used to be ALOT smaller and was ridiculous to walk through, as guests would walk through over and over, stand around, and mess with the scareactors.

Guest TombraiderTy

I hate hate hate hate hate how there are lines for scare-zones. CornSTALKERS is now so large, clogging would be less of a problem. Even still, employees could remind guests to keep moving, while staying in character of course.