KY: A County Owned Waterpark?

"By skipping the study, Stevens and other committee members said they think they can save both money and time — a feasibility study could tack three months onto the timeline. "

I see you read this this morning too, Terp? Since I live not far from where they are wanting to put this thing, I have been following it pretty close.

The article goes on to talk about what this group of people want. There is no mention of HOW they know this is what the public wants or what would be best for tourism.

Greenbo (the local state park) has revamped their campground and has a brand new amphitheater. There is a two month old campground not more than a (literal) stone's throw with trails, cabins, hook-ups and a pool.

AND they want to put it out near the the Boyd County Fairgrounds! Folks, for those who have not been out there- think barren wasteland. It's old strip mine with a big, steep hill to get to it and across the road from Kentucky Electric Steel- none of these, mind you, are pretty on the eyes. No restaurants or hotels handy. However, a plus is that it is less than three miles from Interstate 64.

I am not going to say what I think this money would be better used for. From the first time I heard of it, I thought it sounded like they were trying to push this project through when people weren't looking or something and I don't know where this money is going to come from. I wasn't aware Boyd County's coffers were overflowing that much. And, I don't know if I would want to count on grant money. The Amphitheater at Greenbo currently doesn't have seats because that grant money was taken away to shore up the surplus debt at the end of last fiscal year.

I could rant on about this some more, but I think I'll watch and see how far they try to push this thing....

Believe it or not, there are an increasing number of city owned water parks being developed or already operating. Currently, older municipally operated pools are loosing attendance due to the newer more extravagant private water parks that are being built. Municipally developed water parks are a way to attract visitors to the facility. While most of these facilities do not turn a profit (and those that do turn a profit usually reinvest the money into the facility), the cities invest in these facilities to provide amenities for residents and to provide an incentive for tourists to visit the city and spend money in the city, causing the city to gain revenues.

I should know a little bit about this subject. I am working on my thesis right now on entertainment architecture/ indoor water park resorts!

^^ I know there are more and more of these types of projects popping up all over.

BTW, your thesis sounds very interesting. I wrote mine on promiscuity in migratory birds. I like yours much better!

I do have a question though, this really can't be a city owned park and not be in the city limits can it? The area by the fairgrounds is located in Cannonsburg/Coalton. The city limits of Ashland are several miles the other direction. People attending this park would spend their money more in Grayon (north of Boyd County by way of the Interstate) or in Cannonsburg before they would spend it in Ashland proper as they are closer locales then Ashland is. However, if this were for the county, then this MAY be a boom (but I have my doubts).

I am going to have to put my thinking cap on too. Where they are thinking of putting this I don't think sits wholly in Boyd County or it sits on the fringe somewhat. The county lines for Greenup, Carter, and Boyd Counites zih-zag all through there. The KOA campground that was built is in Greenup County, but the way that the county lines are, you travel out the Industrial Park (Route 67) and go from Greenup County, to Boyd County, to Greenup County again. Most confusing for emergency responders!

I think we all need a city owned water park with ATV trails. That just screams relaxation to me...

That would be awesome! I have a city owned water park right next to my house. It has two big tube slides, a speed slide, a froggy kiddy slide. Volleyball courts and kids play area as well as a very large swimming pool.

If they add ATV trails, I may actually use it, Four-wheelers are awesome! throw in some buddies, some good beef jerky and banana chips, and some muddy holes, wow that is the definition of fun!

somersplash yes some said that would fail its thriving and its like 1hr 1/2 away from beechbend and about 2 from louisville give or take: Its clean fun and great time:

Somerset ky really not that big:;

I drive through Somerset once every year and never thought it would be a place for a waterpark. When did it open? How big is it?

My immediate impression of the Ashland/Boyd Co. situation is that someone is envious of the Hurricane (WV) Wave Pool, and thinks that since Breezeland closed in Boyd Co., there MUST be a market, and they do not wish to be confused with actual facts a feasibility study might reveal.

In that area, it's not been that long since Southside Pool in Ashland closed, Olympic Pool in Huntington closed, and Dreamland Pool in Kenova seems to always be operating on the brink of financial problems.

Believe it or not, there are an increasing number of city owned water parks being developed or already operating. Currently, older municipally operated pools are loosing attendance due to the newer more extravagant private water parks that are being built. Municipally developed water parks are a way to attract visitors to the facility. While most of these facilities do not turn a profit (and those that do turn a profit usually reinvest the money into the facility), the cities invest in these facilities to provide amenities for residents and to provide an incentive for tourists to visit the city and spend money in the city, causing the city to gain revenues.

I should know a little bit about this subject. I am working on my thesis right now on entertainment architecture/ indoor water park resorts!

Good luck on your thesis!

Also, there's one municipally owned water park, Splash! Moraine near Dayton, that is open to the general public, not just Moraine residents, though residents and business employees get discounts. It's got a wave pool, lazy river, two water slides, and a kids area. There's also a traditional natatorium (swimming pool with diving boards and lap lanes). Of course, I'm wondering how the GM plant closing nearby will affect Splash! - although the pain of the tax income loss could be lessened with the park being open to non-residents. I also have to think how economic conditions have caused families to seek closer alternatives - likely helping Splash! Moraine.

On the lighter side, not bad how locker rentals are only 25¢, and wave pool tube rentals are only $1.50 (tubes for the slide and lazy river are free). Parking is free, and you can get there on an RTA bus. Day admission also $6-$9 isn't bad, either, though the attractions are less than let's say The Beach or Boomerang Bay.

I live in Charleston SC. We have a great county park system, parks both large and small with lots of amenties. The 4 large county parks have water parks. They are not mega parks but I would call them medium parks. Good slides, some thrills and kiddie areas. I have lived here 10 years and these parks have been open the whole time and are operated by the county recreation commission. They draw good crowds and of course add both season pass holders and daily visitors to the parks. They figured out how to make this work and work well. About the Boyd County location, it's not an ideal location but it might spur development in the area which might be the reason for the selection of that site but I confess I am speculating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

But what that article failed to mention is that Sandusky already has what some might consider a critical mass of indoor water park resorts. While that may be successful in a touristy area like the Wisconsin Dells, how many people are going to want to visit Sandusky in the dead of winter with the threat of lake effect snow?

Sandusky is already home to Cedar Fair owned and operated Castaway Bay. In addition, there is a first generation Great Wolf Lodge, and the Kalahari Resort. The Kalahari (after its addition opened last January) is now the largest indoor water park in America with over 170,000 square feet of space all under roof! For a city the size of Sandusky to have that many water parks was impressive. Granted, the population of Sanduky balloons in the summer months, but in the winter months, the population is only near 60,000. The Maui Sands might have been more successful if it was in a market that wasn`t so over exposed. Additionally, I it would have helped if all the construction work had been completed before the resort tried to open.

In summation, there are many reasons why the Maui Sands development failed. Is it risky for municipalities to develop their own water parks? Yes, it is. But, there are several municipalities that have developed their own water parks to replace municipal swimming pools. In almost all cases, the municipally run water parks not only attracted more visitors than the older pools, but also attracted visitors from surrounding communities. There are some municipal water parks that one would be hard pressed to tell are not privately funded.

Very true. Almost all of the municipally run water parks are developed with the notion that they will receive some subsidy from the government. But the reason why they appeal to municipalities and park districts, is that they can offer an amenity to the community which is not currently being offered. And depending on the success of the water park (some have been tremendously successful and attracted more visitors than expected), it can be a way for the city to earn some additional revenue, as opposed to trying to scrape enough money together to open the old and dilapidated city swimming pool.

I bet the attitude would be totally different if the municipality or county decided to offer an amenity not currently being offered in the form of a ride park! In fact, the only government run amusement park in the US of which I am aware, Rye Playland in New York, is run by Westchester County and seems plagued with continual financial difficulties and, dare I say it, safety issues....