Kings Island Brews Up All-New Kids’ Halloween Event

Dane

Kings Island Brews Up All-New Kids' Halloween Event

Family-friendly HOWL-O-FEST will be the ultimate kids' Halloween party

You've probably heard that Kings Island has the best kids' area in the world – voted No. 1 by Amusement Today readers for eight years running. You've also probably heard that Kings Island has created the scariest and most immersive horror experience in the Midwest in Halloween Haunt.

Obviously, Kings Island knows kids and Halloween and has put the two together for an all-new brew this fall: the family-friendly HOWL-O-FEST event.

Presented by Meijer, HOWL-O-FEST will take the park's annual kids Halloween event to a much bigger, better and more interactive level. With all there is to see and do, this not-so-scary Halloween party is no trick – it's a real treat!

With 12 party days scheduled, HOWL-O-FEST will be the ultimate kids Halloween party that offers the best kid-friendly aspects of Halloween: costume contest, fun-scary mazes and pumpkins, mask painting, games and, of course, free candy and goodies galore.

HOWL-O-FEST will take place Saturdays and Sundays at Kings Island from noon to 5:00pm from September 27 through November 2.

HOWL-O-FEST highlights include:

Costume Parade. The event begins each day at noon with a costume parade. The first place winner for Best Costume will walk away with a fabulous prize!

Twisted Tales. An adult-size maze that is fun-scary, not scary-scary. Come see what happens when some of the most beloved fairy tales take on a different twist!

Five candy stops scattered throughout the HOWL-O-FEST area make for great trick-or-treating. Kids will walk the grounds gathering goodies, compliments of Meijer.

Pumpkin Patch. The pumpkins are ripe for the pickin in this kid-sized pumpkin pasture. Keep an eye out for the one that is just right for you.

Hay Bale Maze. The twists and turns of this gigantic maze will surely test the wit and memory of kids of all ages!

Dance Party. Kids will bust a groove inside this kids-only dance club. Disco balls, line dancing characters, a D.J. spinning monster mash tunes and kids scareoke.

Activities Area. Inside this covered shelter kids will find the Great Talking Pumpkin, a Story-Telling Witch in her two-story house, a giant foam pit, pumpkin coloring, mask making and much more!

Everyone's a Winner. Kids will load up on prizes in this area full of free games and fun where everyone's a winner. Featuring classic games like ring toss, duck pond, sucker pull, bean bag toss and ping-pong fish ball toss.

Backyard BOO-BQ. Bring your appetite for this all-you-can-eat buffet meal of fried chicken, burgers, dogs, baked beans, potato salad, unlimited soft drinks and an ice cream treat. Just $12.99 for adults and $6.99 for kids.

Ticket prices are $25.99 on Saturdays and Sundays when purchased in advance online at www.howlofest.visitkingsisland.com and valid for the entire day (11:00am to 1:00am Saturdays and 11:00am to 7:00pm Sundays).

HOWL-O-FEST is free to season pass holders.

I think the new HOWL-O-FEST sounds really fun for the kids. We have 3 kids who love the different things they have every year for the halloween event. They love riding the train and picking out there favorite pumpkin and getting candy from the different stations throughout nickelodeon universe. Last year where the Dora show is they had the dancing with the characters and I have tons of pictures with them dancing with spongebob and patrick and dora and diego. I really hope the park is not going to get rid of the nickelodeon characters. I know alot of us prefer to see HB characters come back or even snoppy come to the park, but the fact is kids nowadays do not know them. My youngest is 20 months old and whenever spongebob comes on tv he says his name and starts to dance. I know that the contract runs out in 2012(?) and that they can renew it or chose to go another way but I really hope Cedar Fair takes some time to think about there decision. I know the press release doesnt say anything about the nickelodeon characters, but that could be because its a given that they will be there and be part of all the festivites. Oh, and one more thing, about the pumpkin patch, i noticed it doesnt make a reference to riding the train back to pick one out. Will it be in the same place it has been or are they moving it to somewhere in nickelodeon?

I think the new HOWL-O-FEST sounds really fun for the kids. We have 3 kids who love the different things they have every year for the halloween event. They love riding the train and picking out there favorite pumpkin and getting candy from the different stations throughout nickelodeon universe. Last year where the Dora show is they had the dancing with the characters and I have tons of pictures with them dancing with spongebob and patrick and dora and diego. I really hope the park is not going to get rid of the nickelodeon characters. I know alot of us prefer to see HB characters come back or even snoppy come to the park, but the fact is kids nowadays do not know them. My youngest is 20 months old and whenever spongebob comes on tv he says his name and starts to dance. I know that the contract runs out in 2012(?) and that they can renew it or chose to go another way but I really hope Cedar Fair takes some time to think about there decision. I know the press release doesnt say anything about the nickelodeon characters, but that could be because its a given that they will be there and be part of all the festivites. Oh, and one more thing, about the pumpkin patch, i noticed it doesnt make a reference to riding the train back to pick one out. Will it be in the same place it has been or are they moving it to somewhere in nickelodeon?

Uhhhh, it's more than that.

The release goes to the effort to mention "the best kid's area." When have you ever seen the park mention it's kids area without mentioning Hanna Barbera or Nickelodeon?

I would go as far as to say in the several decades I've followed the park that I've never seen it referred to as just "the kid's area."

Well next may be another first. I'm sure they figure with all the hype of Diamondback no one will really notice that NU has left. I think it's safe to assume NU is gone after this season. The big question is will anything replace it, or will it become "Kids Works." (Or maybe Kids Universe) Given how Cedar Fair has renamed rides.

Well next may be another first. I'm sure they figure with all the hype of Diamondback no one will really notice that NU has left. I think it's safe to assume NU is gone after this season. The big question is will anything replace it, or will it become "Kids Works." (Or maybe Kids Universe) Given how Cedar Fair has renamed rides.

Cedar Fair Replaced the Warner Bros. Charecters at GL With Snoopy, along with MA at some point, why wouldn't they do the same at KI?

Those aren't too bad for names.

Cedar Fair Replaced the Warner Bros. Charecters at GL With Snoopy, along with MA at some point, why wouldn't they do the same at KI?

Cedar Fair had NO choice at Geauga Lake but to replace the Warner Brothers characters, which are licensed exclusively in the theme park business to a company that numbers its flags (the latter company used to be owned in part by Time Warner, the licensor of the Time Warner characters, including, nowadays, HB).

Just to kill the rumor before it gets out of hand and we take the focus off of what we should be talking about -- the amazing new kids' event -- I was asked to assure you that the characters from the Nickelodeon franchise will be in Nickelodeon Universe and will make their amazing return in 2009. There will be kid-friendly Halloween props around Kings Island's award winning kids' area but HOWL-O-WEEN will primarily be located in the picnic grove.

Just to kill the rumor before it gets out of hand and we take the focus off of what we should be talking about -- the amazing new kids' event -- I was asked to assure you that the characters from the Nickelodeon franchise will be in Nickelodeon Universe and will make their amazing return in 2009. There will be kid-friendly Halloween props around Kings Island's award winning kids' area but HOWL-O-WEEN will primarily be located in the picnic grove.

Yeah, I would have to say that it's no longer a rumor with that press release.

It's obvious that the park is placing less emphasis on Nickelodeon. Boddah, can you tell us what's going to be replacing NU and when it will be leaving?

I was asked to assure you that the characters from the Nickelodeon franchise will be in Nickelodeon Universe and will make their amazing return in 2009.

That's pretty much a give-in being that there was a $22,000,000 investment made in Rivertown, and the license does not expire for another few years.

I do see NU leaving sooner rather then later, but it all hangs in the balance of Viacom and how much a renewal license is.

I will admit that when I first heard this name, I was personally concerned that they had chosen to replace the name Nick or Treat. After reading this, I am even more concerned. Just concerned. I refuse to simply believe a rumor or overreact to a simple doubt. But I do believe that it would be a sad day to see all of the theming go away.

I would like to make a comment about the Nickelodeon shirt. If you pick up a park brochure at Kings Island's neighboring McDonalds, everything in the add is up to date. However, the picture of Delerium still has the paramount logos visible on the ride.

That's pretty much a give-in being that there was a $22,000,000 investment made in Rivertown, and the license does not expire for another few years.

I do see NU leaving sooner rather then later, but it all hangs in the balance of Viacom and how much a renewal license is.

Few? The Cedar Fair acquisition was effective June 30, 2006. At the time, it was said there were four years left on the Nick license. More than two years have elapsed since that time. So, I suppose it all depends on how one defines "few."

As for a $22,000,000 investment in Rivertown, what, if anything, that has to do with renewal or non-renewal of the Nick franchise is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked one of the park's high ranking official at Media Night (last night) and he told me that Nickelodeon Universe would be back next year.

Since I lack a crystal ball, I don't know how whether or not the Nickelodeon license will be renewed. But I can tell you that I don't really think it woudl influence park attendance at KI one way or another. My 4-year old son says that he wants to ride the helicopter, not Lazytown Sportcopters; the green roller coaster, not the Fairly Odd Coaster; the choo choo train, not La Adventura de Azul; etc.

Does Nickelodeon generate excitment for some kids? Yes. Would kids say, "No Mommy, don't take me to Kings Island because there is no Nickelodeon?" HECK No!

Best regards,

Italian Chef

I was asked to assure you that the characters from the Nickelodeon franchise will be in Nickelodeon Universe and will make their amazing return in 2009.