Camera

flightoffear1996

Due to the recent Vortex inncident with my camera. It basiclly got smashed in between my leg and the harness tht pretty much killed my camera. I was thinking about getting a nice new Digital SLR but I would almost afraid to take it to the park. What do you guys do with the cameras when you are at the park?

I carry it with me most of the time. Sometimes I purchase a locker if I don't feel like carrying it around. I take it on most rides and bundle it up in its case and put it on the floor board of the train. I haven't had a problem doing that so far. The only ride in which I almost always leave it in the station is The Vortex.

^ Aren't you worried about someone steeling it. It would be very easy for someone to walk off with the camera. Ever since when I was growing up I worked all summer to get a mini disk player and I had it one week and someone stole it I don't trust to leave anything of value open anymore. Do you think if I got a hard case for it and straped it to a restraint or something it would be ok?

^ Aren't you worried about someone steeling it. It would be very easy for someone to walk off with the camera. Ever since when I was growing up I worked all summer to get a mini disk player and I had it one week and someone stole it I don't trust to leave anything of value open anymore. Do you think if I got a hard case for it and straped it to a restraint or something it would be ok?

You are responsible for anything you leave in the station, not the park, so my best suggestion would be to get a locker or carry it with you. I carry my DSLR and lenses with me on The Beast and Racers with no problems and keep them in a padded slingshot bag.

If you do carry it on rides in your pocket instead of a padded case... Be careful!

I've had two cameras busted up while riding in a cargo pocket, though both were my fault because I wasn't careful enough. Once from forgetting to turn it off before pocketing it, so the lens was extended and it got FUBAR'd. Second was on a camera with a flip screen, I forgot to flip the screen around to protect it before I pocketed it, and the screen got smashed.

Disadvantage to cargo pockets is that on lap bar rides, the contents can be crushed between the lap bar and the side of the train.

I personally have a Sony Cybershot H3. It takes great photos, and is not quite compact but isn't a brick like those Large DSLR's either. I usually have it in one of those Cybershot padded carrying cases that you can string your belt through. Works great for me, always stays right off to the side, underneath and away from the restraint and on rides like The Beast, it doesnt go against the wall it actually goes right against the opening of the wall. So the camera is attached to me, not in a position to get broken, and I have been able to take quality photos with it. I have yet to bring my extra zoom lenses or sun shield (lens hood) to a park with the camera, so I haven't figured that one out yet. But hey the standard zoom does what I need it too!

That'd be a question for a ride op to answer.

As was mentioned, the park is not responsible for items left while riding. I can tell you that in 6 years working in the rides department that I can count on one hand the number of times someone claimed that their items were taken.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a DSLR. We take a ton of pictures and its time we had a better camera. We have been through 2 Cannons and currently have a Nikon, good cameras, but we want better.

Ive been looking at a D40, but Im just not sure. Im wanting something that has great quality, fast response to taking pictures in succession, and isnt going to be so huge I never want to carry it. Any help would be apprciated.

I have a D40 and I think it fits all your criteria. If you're looking for NFL level speed out of a camera, the D40 just won't give it to you. However, the D40 is a great camera and cheap too. You may also consider the D60 as a good step up for just a few more nickels. About 200$. I love my D40 and I have pretty much all I'll ever need for it. Kit lens 18-55, Zoom lens 55-200 with VR, remote shutter control, external flash. I say go for it.

I have only taken it to KI once and that was for the Diamondback announcement. After I was done taking pictures, I took it out to my car. I'm just not that into taking pictures at parks.

When you talk speed, Im looking for something that once I take a picture it is pretty much ready immediately. Basically I dont want much or any delay between pictures. No I dont need it to be so fast I can catch every step of a wide receiver catching a pass, but fast enough to catch emotions and movement before the subject is completely gone.

Thanks for the help

When you talk speed, Im looking for something that once I take a picture it is pretty much ready immediately. Basically I dont want much or any delay between pictures. No I dont need it to be so fast I can catch every step of a wide receiver catching a pass, but fast enough to catch emotions and movement before the subject is completely gone.

Thanks for the help

No, he's talking about the frames per second. Almost every SLR has a buffer now that allows you to take several shots in succession before it locks up while putting the photos onto the memory card. I think with the D40 it's about 12. As far as FPS go, the D40 does between 2.5 and 3fps, depending on who you ask, the Canons (more expensive) do about 3.5fps and if you want to cross into the $1000+ range, you start getting into the 5fps or more range.

I see, thanks for clarifying. I really dont want to go in to $1000 range. I just want a good camera that will take pictures in succesion like you mentioned BoddaH with great quality and wont kill my wallet. I think somewhere around 12 is awesome, compared to now there is 0 ability for pictures in succesion. I assume from what I have read that Cannon and Nikon are my 2 best choices in DSLRs. Thanks for the help again.

Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like you'll be the next lucky owner of a D40, my friend. If you're not trying to get crazy with things, it'll suit you fine. Canon vs Nikon is a personal thing, and when I chose my D40 I picked my side in that battle. Both are fine choices. Happy hunting.