coney island 2009

Coney Islander

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, if that were true. Wiki has known somethings, like the August 6th release date for Diamondback, but I think this is a huge swing and miss.

Just ask CoastersRZ, he will tell you this is totally false.

It could be true...Carowinds is removing it!! Hey, did Coney see that Six Flags America's version of Intvertigo is for sale?! Why not get that!?!

Btw, am I remembering this right?? When I lived in Cincy, was Coney's catch phrase "Coney's Got It!"??

Ah, if that were true. Wiki has known somethings, like the August 6th release date for Diamondback, but I think this is a huge swing and miss.

It could be true...Carowinds is removing it!! Hey, did Coney see that Six Flags America's version of Intvertigo is for sale?! Why not get that!?!

Btw, am I remembering this right?? When I lived in Cincy, was Coney's catch phrase "Coney's Got It!"??

Carowinds is removing it, and I don't think I ever saw it for sale...

And about 2 Face, that is very expensive and in my opinion, to flashy and tacky for Coney.

Why not get SFA's Two-Face? Well there is an exact clone of it just about 25 miles north of Coney Island called Invertigo at a place called Kings Island.

Tigellenius, Coney`s current marketing campaign is "Coney Has It." It is featured on our uniforms, as well as Coney`s website. Heck, there is even a song that to go along with it, which is played when Sunlite pool opens for the day, as well as after every live show. You can also hear it on the commercials for Coney. A couple of the lines from the song are: "We got rides slide a gigantic pool. The Scream Machine and the Bumper Cars. So much to see and do, you gotta go, yeah, yeah yeah. Coney has it!"

I can guarantee that no new rides will be opening on the dry side of the park in 2009. After all, the dry side saw the addition of two new rides this year (River Runner and Turtle Parade) as well as the addition of the Eurobungy Dome. Last year saw the addition of the Rock-O-Planes from now closed Americana/LeSourdsville Lake. And if you have paid attention to some of my previous posts on Coney Island, you would know that the Zoom Flume slide in the Sunlite pool areas is currently being removed from the Sunlite Pool area. The Zoom Flume opened in 1977, and was fairly old by most water park slide standards (KI`s water park didn`t open until 1989!). Look for something new and exciting to replace the Zoom Flume in 2009! You`ll just have to be patient and see exactly what Coney has in store for 2009.

And yet, Coney continues to do well without a wooden coaster. So why bother to putting in a capital intensive ride, when the park has grown tremendously since it "closed" in 1971 without such an attraction? If smaller flat ride additions are able to bring in people, especially the group sales business, then why sink money into such an expensive ride when cheaper attractions will suffice?

As a coaster enthusiast, I agree, a wooden coaster at Coney would be wonderful. But from a business point of view, why add an expensive attraction when a smaller cheaper attraction could generate the same amount of revenues with a higher return on investment?

Guest TombraiderTy

^I'm not saying they need one. Kings Island lacks an inverted roller coaster (Invertigo or Runaway Reptar do not count), but I'm not saying that they need one or should even get one.

But you have to admit, a newer Shooting Star (not same location, obviously) would be amazing.

By definition, Invertigo and Runaway Reptar are in fact inverted coasters. So what, they are not B&M coasters (and yes Vekoma calls them SLC and family suspended coasters), but they still feature inverted trains.

And Coney can not rebuild the Shooting Star in its original location, or elsewhere. Between the existing picnic grove shelters and the two Riverbend Pavilions, there is not enough room for the out and back portion of the Shooting Star. Granted, I think a ride the size of the Tornado at Stricker`s Grove could fit in behind Golf and the slide and would be an immense hit at Coney, while not costing an arm and a leg. (Seriously, if Stricker`s can afford to build the Tornado and they are only open to the public a couple of days a year, I`d imagine that Coney could certainly afford it.) Although getting insurance on said ride at Coney would be more difficult due to Coney`s inherent nature for annual flooding.

A steel coaster is a commitment by a park, but a wood coaster is much more like a marriage. Wood coasters require extensive, continual maintenance to be comfortably rideable..and when they do not get it, it's pretty obvious. See: Cheetah at Wild Adventures under the old ownership or the Myrtle Beach Hurricane in its last years or even Wolverine Wildcat at Michigan's Adventure.

You know, remember this my opinion but Coney has really gotta shape up and make a "Commitment" or "Marriage" like you said Terpy.

I really, really think that even though those nice little cheap flat rides do nice at the park like you said, RZ,

Someone's gotta suck it up, pull out their wallet, and make a serious capital investment. Not like adding a few small flats like they have been for the last few years, but really they've got enough freaking flats. Grow some balls and add a roller coaster. There is a point when people are gonna not care when Coney adds a flat and no one is gonna care, that may be years from now but they have to realize that some people are gonna grow out of "Bumper Boats".

Really, What is there Signature attraction? Sunlite Pool and the Pepsi Python don't count.

CoastersRZ and other Coney fanboys don't pounce me for this, but really IMO they need a nice, big, shiny new coaster.

Parks are in business as a business....not as RCT. What satisfies park enthusiasts is often not the same thing as what satisfies the more vast park going public. If Coney is making a tidy profit doing what it is doing, why would it take on additional risk and expense for very little, if any, return? Also, remember these are tough economic times. Borrowing just became far more difficult, and many either already don't have or soon will at least think they don't have the discretionary income to spend on such relative trifles as going to parks.

Coney depends on its group business and its pool. The dry rides are almost, but not quite, at most a sideline.