Rollbacks?

chippewa&idora4ever

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've personally witnessed TTD rollbacks when I was there, and Ive heard of Kingda Ka doing it, but i didnt see it when i was at Six Flags Great Adventure. but my real question is.. Have any rollercoasters at Kings Island had rollbacks? Thankyou

No. I think TTD and KK are really the only ones that frequently rollback, sometimes rarely a coaster rolls back but I think it's because of wind and stuff.

Yes, Italian Stunt Job had rollbacks, though I have no idea if Backlot Stunt Coaster does or not (tee hee). I have had a rollback on the former, while in the front seat. I also have had rollbacks on both Flights of Fear and on Volcano: The Blast Coaster at Paramount's Kings Dominion...but not at Kings Dominion (I was in the backseat of Volcano, and the rollback was from the second launch....I really wish I could have been in the front for that one!). As many times as I have ridden Ka (and that's probably many, many more times than anyone else who posts here), I have never had a rollback on it, nor on Top Thrill Dragster.

Kingda Ka very rarely rolls back because they purposely over launch the ride at speed greater than what is required for the train to make it over the top. Kingda Ka actually has magnetic brake fins on the top of the hill to slow it down as it crests the hill.

i kind of think that the workers on TTD do it on purpose, i think it amuses them when they get bored, lol. probably not and hey! i've ridden Kingda ka and TTD both many times too

I wish the ride ops. could some how make there be a roll back, i would beg them to let it have a roll back almost everytime!

I wish the ride ops. could some how make there be a roll back, i would beg them to let it have a roll back almost everytime!

When roll backs occur, it is not good for the computer system. Unless a ride op has figured out a loophole in the system, they can't cause a rollback on purpose unless they somehow close the brakes through the launch area while the train is traveling through it. But 99.9% of the time, it is random.

Rolled back on TTD a few times. Like mentioned earlier, go early in the year and hit it first thing in the morning.

I remember when TTD first opened early in the seasson, my wife and I were sprinting from the Challenger Park entrance to take our first rides ever on TTD. We kept watching as it would launch and not make it over the crest and come back down while we waited in line. She was starting to panic and I was a little un easy,but they finally got it up and over with consistency so once we loaded in, front seat and all we were launch for our first time, made it to the top, stalled, and fell backwards. What a rush and my wife was almost done at that point, but she stuck it out for the relaunch. What an experience.

That was also the same day we got stuck at the top of MF while we waited for the lift car to reset.

Interesting day to say the least.

I worked with the CPPD one summer a few years ago and was fortunate enough to experience multiple rollbacks on TTD during the wee morning hours on test runs. Also, I was there the day the train had EXACTLY enough momentum to crest the hill and STOP right at the summit. It was quite entertaining!

I worked with the CPPD one summer a few years ago and was fortunate enough to experience multiple rollbacks on TTD during the wee morning hours on test runs. Also, I was there the day the train had EXACTLY enough momentum to crest the hill and STOP right at the summit. It was quite entertaining!

Now that was something to behold. How about the guy that had to take the elevator to the top and give em a shove over?

When roll backs occur, it is not good for the computer system. Unless a ride op has figured out a loophole in the system, they can't cause a rollback on purpose unless they somehow close the brakes through the launch area while the train is traveling through it. But 99.9% of the time, it is random.

You are wrong thier buddy. While I am not sure if the ride ops can tkae control of the ride from the operation pannel they certainly can and do controll the speed of the motor. When they replace the cable or when the hyrolic motor is 1st installed they do not launch it at full speed. They slowly break in the motor and or cable.

Yes, Italian Stunt Job had rollbacks, though I have no idea if Backlot Stunt Coaster does or not (tee hee). I have had a rollback on the former, while in the front seat. I also have had rollbacks on both Flights of Fear and on Volcano: The Blast Coaster at Paramount's Kings Dominion...but not at Kings Dominion (I was in the backseat of Volcano, and the rollback was from the second launch....I really wish I could have been in the front for that one!). As many times as I have ridden Ka (and that's probably many, many more times than anyone else who posts here), I have never had a rollback on it, nor on Top Thrill Dragster.

Sorry but I don't believe you have ever had a rollback on Flight of Fear

The cobra roll would not cause you to roll back because if the train was not going fast enough the LIM motors would stop and the brakes at the end of the launch tunnel (before the cobra roll) will stop you. The only other stop would possibly be the hump over the block brakes but then you wouldn't have enough speed to roll back through the cobra roll and stall somewhere. Unless Kings Dominion operates differently....I assume it doesn't but you know what happens when you ass-u-me. So could you explain more...

On Flight of Fear there is a glitch and you can about the launch but other then that they do not have any access to close brakes when they please. Only to release them when a train is in the position. Example would be to bring a stopped train into the station. The control panels are very easy to operate and is foolprof in a sense.

Rollbacks are (or at least were at one time) possible on FoF. I experienced one in 1996, the year it first opened. This was before the ride opened to the public, during a commercial shoot. From the sound of it you currently or recently worked FoF. Between the time it opened and the time you started working there, they may have taken steps to prevent rollbacks. But from a person who's had one, it was possible.

Rolled back on TTD a few times. Like mentioned earlier, go early in the year and hit it first thing in the morning.

But how is this possible when, indeed, Maverick is the best ride at CP and hitting it in the morning is the best time?!?

Quite simple, 2 completely different launch mechanisms. Maverick is launched by LSM's which can be fired at full power from the start because they have no moving parts nor a need for a warming up process.

TTD on the other hand, with the Hydraulic Motor and the cable tow system needs to be warmed up. You need run numerous launches on the motor to get it fully opperational so the Hydraulic fluid is warmed up and also so the motor doesnt seiz first thing. Cold Hydraulic fluid is much harder to move than warm Hydralic

Also the cable is basically stretched out with the first few launches. The idea is that you warm the cable up so once you have a train ready to fully launch the cable doesn't sanp under the force and stress of that launch. The acheive the stretching out by continualy increasing the motor power and launch speed to get it warmed up.

So thats why if you ride in the morning at the begining of the seasson, the motor cools off quicker and it has also just warmed up and is still warming up for the day.

Oh yes...though it called valleying or saddling. And it doesn't come down the lifthill backwards (that is prevented by the anti-rollbacks). Instead, it doesn't have enough speed to make one of the hills (usually in the rose bowl). Here comes the part few ever believe. The remedy is to cut part the coaster apart and remove the train with a crane. It is far easier to do so than to otherwise get that baby back in the station. And it has happened far, far more times than most know.

Racer can also valley or saddle in the early season. In fact, that is the reason there are helper chains up the last hill on the out section on each side...which are normally only used in the early season, before the bearings have loosened up and the weather has warmed up.

Just to chime in on the TTD and KK issue. The hydraulic motors and fluid are warmed by electric warmers and cooled during use with a heat exchanger (better known as a radiator) to a pre determined temp. The two things that need to be worked in the mornings are wheel bearings and the cable. The cable does not have to be stretched, just warmed up so the individual strands in the cable bend on to the spool. And at speeds of 100+ the wheel bearings do not take long to warm up. The cable is the most important. At first TTD was storing the cable wrapped around the spool, the cable did not like that at all and did not warm up or wear properly. Last, the operator can not ask for less than the absolute minimum to propel the train over the crest, they can ask for more with a dial if they have one particular train that is having a bad wheel day. The minimum and maximum is preset by the engineers, and the operators are told to use the minimum unless a situation arises. A lot of the time when a train does not make it over, it is because the motor did not have enough energy stored to perform the task. That is caused by fast load and dispatch times, and the system did not have an adequate time to charge. This info is based on KK operations, and I am assuming that info I received about TTD is correct, so don't shoot me if I am a little off.