Holiday World Again Tops 1 Million Visitors

Guest TombraiderTy

They close for the season this Sunday? Two of their themed areas represent holidays in the fall, I'm surprised they don't have some fall event... not necessarily a scary one, but one for the family with a hay-maze and pumpkin patch.

As was said earlier, there isn't much of a population within an hour of the park. That's one of the reasons staffing is so hard there, and why you see so many very, very young people working there. If they had to depend on just the locals for an event, it'd probably end similarly to the way Winterfest ended last go round at Paramount: Walking In An Empty (in this case) Autumnland.

Guest TombraiderTy
As was said earlier, there isn't much of a population within an hour of the park. That's one of the reasons staffing is so hard there, and why you see so many very, very young people working there. If they had to depend on just the locals for an event, it'd probably end similarly to the way Winterfest ended last go round at Paramount: Walking In An Empty (in this case) Autumnland.

Ah, I wasn't aware the population around the park was that low. Scratch that idea for now :lol:

Guest rcfreak339

Well we shouldn't be suprised they do it year after year, Holiday World does everything right. Free Sodas, Parking, sunscreen, good food at low prices, family atmosphere, ect...

^^Aren't both Evansville and Bloomington within 50 miles?? Not to mention Terre Haute!?

Evansville is 60 miles, but some of its bedroom communities are probably within 50 of Santa Claus...the 2000 population figure cited by FOFreak is probably too low.

Bloomington is over 100 miles and more than two hours away.

Terre Haute is even further and nearly 150 miles and two and a half hours away.

Further, there are geographic distances and there are cultural distances. To people in Evansville, Holiday World is the local, often seen as small, amusement park, and Six Flags St Louis is the big thing. Believe it or not, much of Holiday World's business comes from Nashville. Yes, Nashville. Tennessee...not Indiana, either. Has ever since Opryland closed (surely one of the most boneheaded moves ever to take place in the amusement business...hows that Shopryland going, Gaylord?)

Holiday world is really at a disadvantage for the fall festivities due to location.

Evansville is best bet in terms of population (but I would assume much of those folks are bored with it, or like you said would drive to 6 flags)

Owensburro KY , or even Bowling Green KY (where Beach Bend is located, and Western KY Univ) might be able to support but unlikely)

I think HW gets most of the business form the "free drinks" and waterpark than the regular park.

but still love it. my first visit was 6-20-2008!

Believe it or not, much of Holiday World's business comes from Nashville. Yes, Nashville. Tennessee...not Indiana, either. Has ever since Opryland closed (surely one of the most boneheaded moves ever to take place in the amusement business...hows that Shopryland going, Gaylord?)

Terpy, you have sent me in to a rage, just bringing up the memories of my beloved Opryland... :angry:

To this day I cannot understand what the folks at Gaylord where thinking. They quoted loosing guests to Dolly and SilverDollar as the main reasson. Still cannot understand that logic when like you said so many of the residens of Nashville head to Holiday World. Biggest reasson is because it reminds them of Opryland. Oh for a spin on Chaos, still one of my all time favorite coasters. I used to visit Nashville and Opryland every summer, stay at the Opryland Hotel, cruise the General Jackson and go to the Grand Ol Opry. We would then make the return trip for the legendary Christmas in the park and the hotel. Now that the park has closed I have been back twice, both for Christmas time. The mall is a joke and is doing as well as Cincy Mills.

Thank you Terpy for twisting that knife just a little for me...

I miss Opryland, I still have two collectible ERTL die cast mint cars that I bought about 11 years ago from Opryland. They sit proudly atop my headboard in my room.

www.thrillhunter.com has a great site dedicated to Libertyland and Opryland.

I miss the Grizzly River Rampage. It was one of the best raft rides out there, easily on par with, if not better than Kali River Rapids at WDW'sAK