I would imagine we go during the fall to early winter in 2009. So gives us a year to plan and I will do most if not all the planning myself. I really enjoy that kind of thing. I just have to learn Disney. I am use to planning Universal, so there will be a learning curve and some research. That just makes it even more fun.

Auge.dog, with our large family trip to Orlando rather than staying at any of the parks resorts we rented a home for the week. AllStar Vacation Homes are amazing. Close to all the park, will accomodate as few or as many folks as needed. We had 12 in one house and were not crowded at all. We ended up spending about $100 per person for the week in lodging. Not bad at all.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RailRider – thanks for your very kind comments and yes Miss Rae is turning out to be even more budding than I first thought, but more on that later.

Yeah the audio in the video is from Lilo & Stitch. I use the free program for “Magix Movie Edit Pro 10” and just used the trial version. It does everything I need it to do. In a video I made a couple years ago I added audio of water, birds and crowd noises in the background in various parts of the video.

To be honest I thought you might of been the one to notice the homemade video. I am glad you liked it and commented about it.

The DVC question, we have looked into it and it would probably work well for us but for some reason that commitment is tough for me. Alot of people swear by it. Some rent points from DVC members who can not go and it is sometimes cheaper than the resorts, so if you interested you may look into that.

We have been friends on here for a long time and I want to give you some more insider tips but I can not do that as I have made a commitment not to share some information with non-members. But this is what I like to do if it is ok with you and since you have some time to research/learn I would like to sign you up to a certain site and pay for you a subscription that will last until 60 days after you get back from your Disney trip. If that is ok with you, it really is cheap (I do mean cheap) I would like to do that for you guys. If it is just PM me a username and a password you would like to use, you can change password later.

Touchdown – I have question for you if you don’t mind.

I think next year 2009 we are going to do Discovery Cove and add all the Busch parks for an extra $70.00, which gives us unlimited admissions to Busch Gardens Tampa, Sea World and Aquatica for 14 consecutive days (before, during or after DC). So I think we would like start our vacation and stay in the Tampa area for 2-3 days to do Busch Gardens and to enjoy the sunset on the Gulf.

My question to you (or anyone else who may know) is; do you know of or recommend any hotel/resort that is on the Gulf? We would love to spend a couple days watching the sunset. Thanks for any information you may be able to share.

Railrider – you are welcome and in truth I think I got the better deal, I mean your counter offer was very generous. I thought man I should offer every member a subscription.

Awesome beach cams Captain! Now I know we want to stay on the Gulf and if Tampa is not the best place for a family then if any one has any suggestions, we’ll fly in then stay 2 nights someplace then go to Busch Gardens then drive to Disney to check-in.

Avatar, staying around Tampa Bay can be a little tricky especially if looking to stay on the beach. My recomendation is to stay in Clearwater or St. Pete. You are about 30 minutes away from Busch Gardens if you stay in Clearwater. The beaches are amazing also in Clearwater. Heres a great site to help with planning, Floridas Beach. Also not knowing your price range, but you may want to consider the Legendary Don CeSar or its sister property The Beach House Suites. But there are plenty of great loding options at a more economical price as well.

I have heard good things about these 2 as well, Sheraton Sand Key and the Hilton Clearwater Resort. Much better pricing as well when comparing to the Don Cesar, especially if you book closer to your stay.

Did I mention Clearwater is gorgeous? The white beaches and being on the gulf are what make it for me and no better place to sit watching a sun set and siping a Bombbay...

I dont think many of the KIC members have discovered the Bombbay Saphire, so I would be careful who you offer your services too Avatar because the return may not be what your looking for. ;)

Cant really help you with beach recs. When we go to Tampa we try and stay at the Embassy Suites (which is right next to the park) or at the Hampton Inn a little further away (we have a Hilton Honors card.) When we do the whole Tampa/Orlando thing its only for the parks, if we are going to a Florida beach we're going down to Ft Meyers/Sanibel.

Thanks guys for the information and suggestions, it really helps and from the sound of everyone’s warning about staying in the area, I will take extra care in researching a hotel in the area. Clearwater sounds to be the best option so far.

I am going to be doing some homemade video slide shows in the next couple weeks, so when i get them done i will post them here, for those interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, our tentative itinerary will go something like this -

Leave CVG sometime in the morning - arrive Saturday afternoon. Spend the day at Downtown Disney or somewhere similar. I'm not sure where we are staying the first night, but I know it has bunk beds and the kids are excited about that.

Sunday - Magic Kingdom. It has extended evening hours and it is already open to 11 p.m. We'll see how long the kids want to stay. The good news is, we will be spending the rest of the time at Shades of Green, so it is easy enough for us to travel back and forth. If one kid poops out, one of us can take him/her back and the other can stay with the other kid.

Monday - family goes to some Ice Sculpture event - daddy plays golf at the Magnolia course.

Tuesday - Hollywood Studios

Wednesday - Epcot

Thursday - Universal Studios with Thanksgiving Dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Friday - Animal Kingdom

RailRider, when we went 3 years ago, most of us actually stayed at a house, while my wife's parents stayed at Shades of Green. This year, my one sister-in-law and her child actually live in Orlando now, so we probably do not need a house. We have 2 rooms at Shades of Green for my family (4), my wife's parents and my other sister-in-law, who is single and childless.

They actually had planned on Seaworld for Friday, but I told them that would be $60 extra per person, while going from a 3-day to a 4-day Disney pass only cost about an additional $7/person. Also, I told them I did not think 3 days was really enough to see and do most of what the kids would want to do at all the Disney parks. I think they actually listened to me, and are looking to change the plans to be more like the above.

Since my one sister-in-law now lives there, I do not think we will not have the opportunity to visit Sea World on a future visit. Besides, by that time Mantra will be built and my kids may be tall enough to ride it.

Auge.dog your trip is right around the corner and looks like you guys are in for a great time. One request, please bring back some warmer weather.

I can not remember the ages of your children, if they can make it the second Spectro Magic parade after wishes is a lot less crowded. Plus after the wishes fireworks ¾ of the park leaves, so we usually stay for the second night parade while everybody else is waiting for buses.

I love Animal Kingdom, I just wished it stayed open longer. I assume Friday is you last day, are you doing anything special that night (restaurant, show, ect)?

Well if I don’t hear from you, I hope you guys have a safe fun filled family vacation.

Edit to add – Let us know what you thought about the ICE show at Gaylord Palms.

My daughter is 7, son is 5. She'll probably want to stay until the park closes, so we will likey make the later Spectra parade. My son may call it quits sometime before then. He barely makes it to 48", so I think they both can ride everything at Disney, and he can ride all but 3 rides at Universal. My daughter is about 53" with shoes, so she can ride all but 2 rides at Universal. This will be the first venture for any of us to Universal.

I do not believe we have anything special planned for Friday night, but who knows. We may cut out of Animal Kingdom late afternoon, and head back over to Magic Kingdom. We are not leaving Orlando until Saturday afternoon, so the kids can sleep in a bit.

I've printed out your trip report minus the pictures to save on ink and paper. It will be good reading material for me on the flight there.

The only current planned meals we have that I know about are the Thanksgiving meal at the Hard Rock, and dinner at Germany on Wednesday while we are at Epcot. My son absolutely loves all things motorized, especially race cars, so he is going to love Test Track and the Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show.

Avatar, the ICE show at Gaylord Palms is a similar version of the one that started at Gaylord Opryland in Nashville. I have been to the ICE show in Opryland twice and it is amazing. Last year was Dr. Seuss themed which was completely amazing and the scale of the work is insane.

Side note.

I recomend anyone looking for a truly magical Christmas experience take a weekend to Nashville and stay at the Opryland Hotel. Amazing the flowers, lights and gardens. Many activities to take in as well, but I highly recomend the Radio City Rockettes Christmas Show, ICE, strolling the gardens. Really an amazing trip and a great holiday event.

aug.dog – your children are the perfect ages for Disney, you guys are going to have some great memories to bring home.

Your itinerary looks good and as far as your park selection for each day as far as crowd size goes you picked the right park for the right day. I usually recommend that on your last night that you should include a show or night firework show. I was going to suggest a few things that you could do after Animal kingdom, but noticed it closes later on Friday night at 8PM. I did not know if you had dinner reservations on Tuesday at the studios but if I was to recommend anything at all, I would switch Tuesday studios visit to be Animal Kingdom and then do Hollywood Studious on Friday. That way you would be able to see the spectacular Fantasmic show at Hollywood Studios on your last night. I think you’re ok either way especially now I see Animal Kingdom is open later.

Just one more thing you probably know already but just in case; which ever day you go to Hollywood Studios make sure the first thing you do is get Fast Pass for Toy Story Mania. If you get there right when they open go ahead and ride it after you get your Fast Pass (the line should be short and that way you get too ride it twice in the same day. Also remember your Fast Passes do not expire after the last time stamped on the ticket. Even if you ticket return time is by11AM you can use that ticket all day until they close.

Have fun we want to hear about your trip when you get back.

RailRider – thanks for the info, we have went to Opryland on time for a hockey tournament my son played in. It is a spectacular hotel and I bet you are right it would be a great place to spend a weekend during the holidays.thanks

Thanks for the tips, Jesse. We are thinking about leaving Animal Kingdom after the Parade on Friday and going to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios for the night shows. They both begin their holiday activities on Friday, 28 Nov. We're also flexible, so nothing is set in stone.

Aug.dog - Unless you have the Park Hopper option (which runs an extra $50.00 per person) you will not be able to use two park admissions on the same day on a Magic your way ticket. You could still go to another Disney park but would haft to buy a separate one day admission, which would make it cheaper to just get the park hopper option. I do not want to sound like a know it all, but I don’t want you to get to your last day to find out the info above and then have limited options.

I hope you guys have a great time I look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Avatar, you did not sound like a know-it-all. We did in fact already have the park hopper option, which is one thing I already knew about. Our trip was excellent, and when I have some time, I'll post a trip report. Many of your tips went to good use - and I'll surely include such in my report.

Auge.dog – It sounds like you guys had a good time. I thought several times about you guys being there last week and was hoping everything was going well for you guys.

I am glad to help in a very small way and as I know you will help others too in the future when giving tips about others plans. I look forward to your report and know it is hard to come back and get back in the grove of dailey life so take your time posting your report. I have went back a few times to read mine to help me remember some of the events, I am glad I got so detailed now.

Jesse,

I'm sorry that I haven't replied to your amazing trip report before now...but to be honest I didn't know where to begin with my comments! You completely overwhelmed me with everything!

Your TR was so much fun to read...I do feel like you took us all along with you. The bonus of your report was not only was it fun to read, but helpful...you can't get tips like this from anyone but someone like you who has so much experience with Disney...thankyou for taking the time and trouble to do this!

See ya,

J.D.

P.S. I thought it was great that you included a little of the family "problems"...it makes it seem real...and that everyone has them.

J.D. thanks for your kind words, it was a joy doing albeit very time consuming though. I have gone back through to read the report and that really takes a lot of time when including the videos with it. The thing about reading it now is I will tell myself I wish I elaborated more on a certain subject and included some others that I left out.

Families’ love-em or hate-em they are yours through the good and bad times. I was glad to share Disney with my brother and his family before their daughter gets to old. We have a vacation rule with my immediate family, “If someone of the family makes you upset or gets on your nerves it’s OK to tell them, but after 10 minutes it’s time to move on and put it behind you”. Vacations are way to short and you don’t get do overs, so less time spent being upset the better and more chances for a positive memorable opportunity. I have learned this the hard way over the years.

Example;

I used to get upset when family would take to long getting ready to go to the boat for the weekend, then when we got there everyone was upset with each other and grumpy with no place to go. So I learned I had a much better weekend when we got there a bit late but everyone was happy.

Thanks again J.D. for letting me know about your thoughts on the report.

P.S. Just so you know I did not do a trip report of the family for a reason when I brought them to Bring a Friend day at Kings Island.

You are a very wise man, Mr. Avatar, and a great father. But your family already knows that...and to the extent they may not from time to time, they will later.

Terpy, who feels that someone like Avatar who is willing to share so openly the details of his family life is entitled to public comment about how great he is....

RailRider, who knows the pains of large family vacations is impressed with how well Avatar still made sure everyone had a great time and could experience the most of what Disney has to offer. Excelent job going above and beyond the call of dutty. Your compasion and genoristy are truley evident...