how cold is to cold to enjoy ki?

Mr. Coastermania

Id' voted "i like the cold" even though i don't. I could enjoy KI no matter how cold it was, even if the rides aren't open. The coldest it has ever been at KI while i was there is about 22ºf during Fearfest 2005. Surprisingly all the major rides were open except SOB.

Hmmm, having ridden many wooden coasters in sleet, snow and extreme cold (including The Beast), and having attended Festival of Lights at the Cinci Zoo in -20 temperatures one night many years ago...I guess I will say if the park's open and the spirit moves me, I'll be there. At least for a while. Then again, many of my park visits these days may last only a short while.

Terpy, who once drove to Six Flags St Louis, rode the Screamin' Eagle, and left! And that was years before they added a boss wood coaster.

Yep, I was the one that voted 50s. Granted, it got below that on the night of Oct 4th while we were there, but for my first Beast night ride I didnt care a bit. The only time I will voluntarily step foot in a park when its below 50 is POSSIBLY for the Third Coming simply for winter photo ops. I was there on Opening Day this year and as soon as it started raining semi-steadily and the temps started to drop hard, I was gone.... I think I left about 530-ish.

It might be ok to visit when it is cold, but try working in it. I remember working at tolls in 2006 on the last day and I froze my buns off! :wacko:

When I was in High School, I worked selling Christmas trees outside for two seasons. Talk about COLD!!!! I still have my beat up, out of style, puffy, down filled coat from those days though... which has served me well many times.

Almost every coaster has a required temperature to OPEN. However at Kings Island even if the temperature drops; once the ride opens the ride will maintain open. The temperature would have to drop DRASTICALLY to make the ride close.

For example: When I worked at Son of Beast and Top Gun, Top Gun required ~50-55 degrees to open in the morning and Son of Beast required ~45 degrees to open in the morning. However, once the rides opened and everything was heated up; the rides would opperate through the end of the night even if the temperature dropped below 50 or 45 degrees (and believe me, in post season it would). This held true when I worked at Vortex, IJ, and The Beast as well. Tomb Raider on the other hand did not require temperature problems to go down. ;)

I REALLY enjoyed the park in 2005- say around the December 10th window at a little festival called WinterFest. It was C O L D (with a capital K) that night.... maybe in the teens. KI is good for all temps.

I do remember going there in 1985 on a school trip.... I think it was single digits that day. Then of course in HS- I remember going to Winterfest in shorts (and a sweatshirt of course) with 65 degree temps.

As stupid as this might sound i could enjoy KI as long as it dont rain or snow in the cold.Cant be much worse then waiting for the xbox 360 a few years ago.Here in indy where i was it was 23degrees and with the wind chill it was 3degrees.I also waited for 26 hours here but i also got 4 360s so not bad.I did the first 10 hours with no heater or anything just my coveralls.But after 10 hour si had the wiffe go buy a propane heater that was like 200bux.But it came free as i sold 3 360s and keep 1 so all in all i got a free 360 and a heaters and 200 bux.

It is highly dependent on a few factors:

-How late is the park open (ie if its a high of only 40 on a Friday in October, well thats too cold because it will be in the teens by 1 am)

-What is the weather like? (rain, again 40 is the threshold, cloudy/night 30 which is what I voted, or sunny and not open after dark 20)

-How windy is it? What is the windchill. I will layers to a certain point but if it gets to the point where I need to where a parka, fleece, sweatshirt, and under armor to be warm then we have a problem. I can do that and go to a football game but to try and walk around and ride (Im a big guy so all those layers will limit what I can ride on) its just not fun. If I can walk around without the parka, then Im good to go.