10/19/08 Trip to KI with 6 year old son!

weluvki

I am a long time lurker...first time poster to this board!

First I must say my "just turned" 6 year old son is quite the Kings Island connoisseur! The first time we went at the beginning of the season he asked for a map and from that day on he SCOURS the map every night and knows EVERY coaster and attraction by name! Maybe he will run an amusement park some day......dare to dream!

So we got to the KI parking lot at around 11:00 and found very few cars. I was pleasantly surprised, but still warned him that it may get crowded and that he had to be patient. (The poor guy does not do well when faced with a long line...but then again I don't either!) We enter the gates and there is hardly anyone there. My son got some good interaction time with the people dressed in costume (giraffe, princess, etc). He had to be convinced by several of the characters and other employees that nothing scary would jump out at him! (No Haunt that night!)

As soon as we walk in he insists on going to the Eiffel Tower to see how the Diamondback construction is coming along. He is just mesmerized by the progress of the construction! (As much as I am!) I was impressed with the progress since we have last been there! Pictures don't do it justice! I cannot wait to ride it next year!

The rest of our day was so much fun! The lines were nearly non existent and it was not so crowded that you constantly bumped into people. We rode the usual suspects (Runaway Reptar, Avatar, FOC, Shake Rattle and Roll, the train (again for the Diamondback progress), Plankton's Plunge, Blue Skidoo, Danny Phantom Flyers, etc) plus he had his first ride on The Monster! He LOVED it! Plus we went to the Nick or Treat area back in the picnic grove and had a blast! (Thumbs up to KI for the free games, prizes, popcorn and candy!)

I felt so bad for him at one point. We walked past the BLSC and he says "Mommy, I want to ride the Backlot Stunt Coaster because I am big now...I'm 6 so I can ride now!" He really believed that now that he was 6 (just turned 6 October 3rd) he was now a big guy and he could ride. So I had to explain that one. He was disappointed, but such is life!

It is so much fun experiencing Kings Island with my son! He is a blossoming KI fanatic! It will be exciting as he gets older (and taller!) riding all the coasters for the first time with him! Maybe he will hit a growth spurt this winter and be able to ride Diamondback with me! A mom can dream can't she???

Hopefully our "mother and son" trip report did not put anyone to sleep!

Glad you guys had fun. I was at the park and here are some photos!

I visited the park today and this ride is amazing looking. I cant even begin to tell you how it looks in person and how many people in the park are talking about Diamondback! It just is great to see this kind of buzz around Kings Isalnd again. Anyway with out further ado here are the pictures I took of Diamondback today.

The park was great today and every ride was a walk-on! The longest we waited was for Firehawk and that is because we had to wait for them to test a few times after a breakdown.

Spooky entrance.

I visited the park today and this ride is amazing looking. I cant even begin to tell you how it looks in person and how many people in the park are talking about Diamondback! It just is great to see this kind of buzz around Kings Isalnd again. Anyway with out further ado here are the pictures I took of Diamondback today.

The park was great today and every ride was a walk-on! The longest we waited was for Firehawk and that is because we had to wait for them to test a few times after a breakdown.

Spooky entrance.

Spooky entrance.

Spooky entrance.

DSC02045.jpg

This area will never be the same!

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

Almost there!

DSC02049.jpg

Too only think thats only about 28%-30% of the drop.

DSC02053.jpg

Bottom of the 1st drop.

DSC02057.jpg

First Drop!

DSC02057.jpg

Great use of the terrian!

DSC02060.jpg

Lots of work still to be done.

DSC02061.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

Lots of track peices and an empty parking lot.

DSC02065.jpg

Ovierview.

DSC02069.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02047-1.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

I loved your TR. You are about 2 years behind me, my sons are 8 and 9.... Once he hits that 48 inch mark, it will be very special. Mine both did last year, but I had to buy my youngest bigger shoes to push him over that last quarter of an inch. Watching them experience the rides for the frist time was just very, very special.... Now they are both fearless (except my oldest won't do Drop Tower). Your TR reminds me a lot of mine. I wish you and your son a lifetime of happiness at KI, other parks, and elsewhere.

Thanks, Its kind of hard to get good pics without an LCD on my digital camera. The Vortex smashed it!

That can be a pain, especially since most consumer digital cameras no longer come with an optical viewfinder. Yes, the bigger digital LCD screens are attractive, but it's nice to have an optical backup, plus it can help save on batteries.

Nice TR.Last year me the wife and the youngest boy went to KI he was 2.I was shocked at how many rides he could ride.We did the flume ride,sdathc,the plunge and 3 other rides he had a blast.We also stayed at GWL and he loved it.This year me and my 7 year old went to KI.We did all the kiddie rides.He was able to ride The Racer he was half inch shy when at home got him some new shoes and he passed.He loved The Racer but i didnt want to push him onto anuthing else but that maybe next year we will ride The Beast together.It was a blast with my son just laughing it up all day.Hope the best for you and your familys here.

Welcome.

What a great TR. Seems like you and your boy had a great day together.

Cherish these years. While I am glad to see my boy be able to ride the "big stuff" I almost hate to see him graduate beyond the "kiddie stuff" for it can mean only one thing, that he is growing up. (Could it be the "empty kiddie ride" syndrome?) TG for digital cameras. Plenty of pictures we got!

I'm lucky as my 5-year old just hits the 48" mark. We went 2x this summer, the first time, some times he made it and some times he did not. It depended on the ride and where he stood - he was that close. The second time, we went to the wristband place where you enter the park, and he was not tall enough. So I tore it off, and he made Flight Deck, Adventure Express, The Blue Racer, but not the Red Racer. So we went to Nickelodeon, where he was measeured and made the 48" cutoff - so we were set the rest of the day. He rode all the rollercoasters he could except for Vortex (his choice) and Son of Beast (my choice). He enjoyed The Beast, but did not want to go again as I think he got banged around a little.

He's up for it next year though.

My daughter was 52 1/2 inches, so perhaps next year she will be able to ride all the coasters, and I will be able to ride Firehawk, FOF Invertigo, and even Diamondback for the first time. She rode Son of Beast in 2007 and she wanted none of it this year. She did get up the courage to ride Vortex though, and eventually rode it 3x.

I'm lucky as my 5-year old just hits the 48" mark. We went 2x this summer, the first time, some times he made it and some times he did not. It depended on the ride and where he stood - he was that close. The second time, we went to the wristband place where you enter the park, and he was not tall enough. So I tore it off, and he made Flight Deck, Adventure Express, The Blue Racer, but not the Red Racer. So we went to Nickelodeon, where he was measeured and made the 48" cutoff - so we were set the rest of the day. He rode all the rollercoasters he could except for Vortex (his choice) and Son of Beast (my choice). He enjoyed The Beast, but did not want to go again as I think he got banged around a little.

He's up for it next year though.

My daughter was 52 1/2 inches, so perhaps next year she will be able to ride all the coasters, and I will be able to ride Firehawk, FOF Invertigo, and even Diamondback for the first time. She rode Son of Beast in 2007 and she wanted none of it this year. She did get up the courage to ride Vortex though, and eventually rode it 3x.

[/quot

I let my kids ride SoB when it reopened on July 4, 2007 when they were barely 48 inches.... We were on the sixth train after the reopening according to the ride op.... When we got off, there were several people in blue shirts and ties who asked the kids what they thought of the ride..... They said they wanted to go again!! Then, I don't know his name, but I know he is the top guy at KI and bald (Not Mr. Helbig) talked to them nd asked them several questions about the park and the ride they had just been on. I said "If you guys can handle that, you can handle just about any roller coaster on the planet" and he nodded and said, and I quote, "yep....."

So, do not doubt your kids, coasters are as safe for them as they are for adults, as much as our instincts as parents tell us differently!!

--Beatle, who almost had a heart attack when they raised their hands for MF's first drop the first time they ever rode it, and never put them down :)

BavarianBeetle, it's just that last year SOB scared my daughter so much, that it took all of this year to help her regain her confidence. She went from a rollercoaster enthusiast to someone who did not want to ride any coasters. Now, after regaining her confidence, she is an enthusiast once again. I did not want to go through that with my son this year. If they are willing, I will not hesitate to take them on it next year. I just want them to have plenty of confidence before they choose to ride it. Hopefully, what I am writing makes some sense.

BavarianBeetle, it's just that last year SOB scared my daughter so much, that it took all of this year to help her regain her confidence. She went from a rollercoaster enthusiast to someone who did not want to ride any coasters. Now, after regaining her confidence, she is an enthusiast once again. I did not want to go through that with my son this year. If they are willing, I will not hesitate to take them on it next year. I just want them to have plenty of confidence before they choose to ride it. Hopefully, what I am writing makes some sense.

Yes. you are right. Kids have to do thrill rides at their own pace. If I've learned anything while raising kids, it is that they always resent being forced to do anything. (But, of course, they must be forced to do those things that are for their own good). And I have never forced mine to ride anything that they are afraid of, and I never would. My point is that you make perfect sense and I understand the feelings that you are conveying, having experienced them myself many times.