Diamondback Now at Her Full Height, Last Weekend of Haunt, Season Passes & More!

In April of 2009, Kings Island will unveil its tallest and fastest roller coaster. Diamondback will stand 230', features 10 vertical drops, an incredible new open air train design and a both scenic and thrill splashdown effect! This new installment is a guaranteed winner among thrill seekers visiting Kings Island. Construction is already well underway and today the lift hill was topped off with the coaster standing at its full 230'! KICentral was the only fan site on hand to witness this momentous occasion. Visit the KICentral Photo Gallery for the latest Diamondback construction photos!

With only ONE WEEKEND LEFT, it's almost time to put the final nail in the coffin for both Halloween Haunt and the entire 2008 season! Kings Island is open October 31st through November 2nd before returning the demons to their graves and laying the park to rest until 2009! Make sure you get in one last visit before the 2008 season is officially over! While you're there, make sure you purchase your 2009 season pass! By purchasing a 2009 season pass you can visit Kings Island on any public operating day during the season, and with all of the exciting things happening at Kings Island in 2009, it will certainly be the place to be once again next year! Don't forget that 2009 season pass holders will be among the first to have the opportunity to ride Diamondback before it's open to the public! Purchase a Season Pass with a Gold Upgrade before November 2nd and enjoy FREE parking during the entire 2009 season - a $39.99 value!

Do you want the latest information sent directly to your cell phone? Sign up for KICentral's official mobile club and receive text alerts with the latest news and information about Kings Island! Signing up is fast and free! Click here for more information about KICentral's official mobile club!

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? It doesn't matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Regards,

Ryan

I'm 12, still learning about the sacred thing called patients.

Diamondback is going to be an amazing ride though and I can't wait to see this thing dominating KI's skyline come 2009.

I didn't know "patients" were sacred. I do know that patience is a virtue.

Yea I ment Patience

Diamondback a her?

Whoa, didn't see that one coming!

It's common. Boats, Plains, Some Automobiles, all fine gals.

And Diamondbacks one of the prettiest gals of all!

Even though Diamondback has no inversions I can see this sutting Vortex's already short line shorter and could place writing on the wall for a future removel/replacement in the next 5 year window.

Maybe not- but it wouldn't surprise me. It's hard to believe that Vortex is 22 years old. Kings Cobra went down because Togo was out of business and replacement parts were hard to come by, correct? Arrow isn't a company in the coaster business anymore are they?

^

^

Where to start on this one Elmer.

King Cobra was taken down because the steel was of poor quality and beggining to rot away. Shockwave at KD is still running just fine.

Vortex replacement parts are very easy to come by, seeing as S&S acquired Arrow and still manufactures and supports former Arrow rides. There is nothing wrong with Vortex and it is not going anywhere, well that is if they can keep the footers from sinking every year. That is really the only problem the ride faces, but the steel and parts are just fine.

^^The only point he has is that lines for most other coasters will be shorter...however, it's mostly the coasters with bad capacity and operations that will improve.

I see lines for Vortex, Flight Deck, Beast, Racer, and maybe FoF (all coasters that are mostly bad operations/bad capacity averse) as staying similar to your normal, not crazy busy days nowadays.

But Invertigo, Delirium, SOB, Firehawk, and BLSC all having shorter lines next year! (at least that was the trend I noticed at Canada's Wonderland).

[...]Vortex, Flight Deck, Beast, Racer, and maybe FoF (all coasters that are mostly bad operations/bad capacity averse)[...]

Note to The Vortex, Flight Deck, Beast, and Racer crews (FoF don't count cause he's right about the bad capacity)....tigellinus just called you guys out! :lol:

Believe me, all the ride foundations at Kings Island and for any building are generally designed by a licensed structural engineer. Before designing the foundations, they usually will do soil core testing. The soil core testing essentially involves a survey crew drilling and coring a sample of the soil on the site. This is then taken back to the lab and analyzed. A soils report is produced detailing the different types of soil in the area, its bearing capacity, depth to bedrock, what type of rock the bed rock is, how much load it can bear per square foot, etc. The structural engineers then use this information to properly design the foundations for the type of structure being built and the loads that it will have to endure.

On larger sites, they will do multiple soil core locations so that they get a better understanding of how the soil varies within the site so that all the foundations are adequately designed. Because of the amount of research and design that goes into designing foundations, most of the rumors about rides or buildings sinking, are just that. Rumors. granted, there may be some differential settlement, when areas of a building may settle slightly due to the loads of the building. This only poses a problem (in the forms of cracked drywall, and doors getting stuck because the frame is out of plum, etc.) when the settlement occurs at different rates over the length of the building.

Is that enough of a lesson on Halloween on foundation design?

[...]Vortex, Flight Deck, Beast, Racer, and maybe FoF (all coasters that are mostly bad operations/bad capacity averse)[...]

Note to The Vortex, Flight Deck, Beast, and Racer crews (FoF don't count cause he's right about the bad capacity)....tigellinus just called you guys out! :lol:

On the contrary!! I said *averse* meaning it's almost not possible to have bad operations due to the capacity and ride operation design.

SoB just has bad capacity, Firehawk is Firehawk, but Invertigo, Delirium, BLSC (and even Crypt while I'm at it) sometimes have operations that are less than desired.

^

^

[...]well that is if they can keep the footers from sinking every year. That is really the only problem the ride faces, but the steel and parts are just fine.

I certainly hope you don't believe that. How many times has that been rebutted on here in the past?

I certainly hope you can detect sarcasm.

It has been rebutted more times than I can shake a stick at, therefor I great the mention of Vortex removal with sarcasm.

But Magnum XL is really sinking, just ask CoastersRZ ;)

Because of the amount of research and design that goes into designing foundations, most of the rumors about rides or buildings sinking, are just that. Rumors. granted, there may be some differential settlement, when areas of a building may settle slightly due to the loads of the building. This only poses a problem (in the forms of cracked drywall, and doors getting stuck because the frame is out of plum, etc.) when the settlement occurs at different rates over the length of the building.

Torre%20di%20Pisa%20(8)_jpg.jpg

It was actually designed this way!!! :lol:

brevity050307.jpg

^^The only point he has is that lines for most other coasters will be shorter...however, it's mostly the coasters with bad capacity and operations that will improve.

I see lines for Vortex, Flight Deck, Beast, Racer, and maybe FoF (all coasters that are mostly bad operations/bad capacity averse) as staying similar to your normal, not crazy busy days nowadays.

But Invertigo, Delirium, SOB, Firehawk, and BLSC all having shorter lines next year! (at least that was the trend I noticed at Canada's Wonderland).

Tig, an attractions line does in no way determine its popularity. The length of a line can be attributed to so many factors. Is SOB any more popular today than it was when it had the loop? There may be ways to know that but just because it has a longer line these days does not mean it's any more popular, it could just be that since it's capacity was shortened from 36 riders per train to 30, then 24 after the loop was removed that is why it has the bigger line. Point is: judging a ride's popularity by it's line length is a useless argument. Where exactly do you get off criticizing the "operation" of a ride and it's crew. I'd be interested in hearing exactly what observations you've made and exactly how often you make them to determine that they are so bad. Vortex and Flight Deck always have short lines. Does this mean they are unpopular or poorly operated by the park? No. If you think about it; these rides, like many Arrow coasters, are capacity machines. Both Flight Deck and Vortex pull A LOT of riders through in an hour, keeping their lines shorter than lower capacity rides. Flight of Fear . . . always seemed to have shorter lines on weekdays yet after Firehawk was built it always seems to have a pretty steady, longer line due to the amount of crowds it's new neighbor attracts. Racer typically has a short line. Is it because it's unpopular? No. There are basically 4 trains running similar cycles, it's a people eater. As far as criticizing rides for "bad operations" maybe you should see Nemo's "Best Year Ever" thread: ( http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...c=15367&hl= ). The Beast crew, on your list of:

(all coasters that are mostly bad operations/bad capacity averse)

...seems to be everyones favorite.

The Racer and Beast Crews were some of the best this year.

^

Gordon Im right there with you, I dont know how you can judge a coasters popularity by its line size.

Simple question, which ride at Cedar Point had a bigger line for the 2007 seasson?

A. Maverick

B. Iron Dragon

C. Disaster Transport

D. Corkscrew

Simple answer, Maverick had insane lines. So rightly by your judgement it would have the higher riddership than the other rides and it was the most popular out of the 4 I mentioned.

Here are the facts.

Iron Dragon had the highest ridership of the 4 with 1,434,393 riders in 2007

Corkscrew with 937,816

Maverick with 916,414

Disaster Transport with 844,707.

Now I would expect you to make the arguement that Mavericks capcity was hurt because it was a brand new coaster so there were some bugs to work out. Still its only a drop in the bucket for this kind of number difference. We are talking a difference of over 500,000 riders between Maverick and Iron Dragon. Oh and if you want substitute Mavericks numbers with those of Top Thrill Dragster for 2007, its ridership was 1,082,218.