Beast Getting Redisigned Entrance

FOFreak

Really? Seen the entrance plazas to Steel Force, Mamba or Wild Thing?

Cedar Fair is known for many things, but world class entrances to rides is NOT one of them. World class rides? Yes. Entrance plazas? In a word, no.

Maybe this will be the one that changes all that, but I sincerely doubt that will be the case. Given the current economy, the state of the industry, the Cedar Fair debt and the incredible investment that is Diamondback, I'd be happy with about anything they put up as a revamped entrance to Beast.

Not to mention that I'm not being pessimistic, but rather realistic. Times are hard, money is tight, and the average guest pays about as much attention to plazas and station buildings as they do to toilets...as long as they are functional and preferably clean, they don't even remember them. This is not a time, nor is Cedar Fair a company, to be splurging on such things, given the totality of circumstances.

I heard from someone who works in a construction company in Mason that they had taken bids to demo The Beast. The guy had said that poor maintenance during the Paramount years led to "bugs" not being contained in certain areas and the structure may have been unstable in years to come. The resulted in an overhaul of the entire structure being economically un-feasible. They were going to put it off until it absolutely had to- but when they decided to build Diamondback in that location it was a good time to "block" off the entrance and allow it to vanish and hope fully more people would be focused on DB opening than The Beast's demise.

OK- I can't keep a straight face anymore. That story is 1000% made up. I would like to know, though, how many blood pressure readings went up while reading the above... and who were putting together their "Liar" response before reading this paragraph. April fools.

I heard from someone who works in a construction company in Mason that they had taken bids to demo The Beast. The guy had said that poor maintenance during the Paramount years led to "bugs" not being contained in certain areas and the structure may have been unstable in years to come. The resulted in an overhaul of the entire structure being economically un-feasible. They were going to put it off until it absolutely had to- but when they decided to build Diamondback in that location it was a good time to "block" off the entrance and allow it to vanish and hope fully more people would be focused on DB opening than The Beast's demise.

OK- I can't keep a straight face anymore. That story is 1000% made up. I would like to know, though, how many blood pressure readings went up while reading the above... and who were putting together their "Liar" response before reading this paragraph. April fools.

i'll be the first to admit that i was getting ready to post a liar response.

You guys are criticizing the queue, when I was talking about entrances/what they look like from the midway. I think all those rides look great right at the entrance.

As for queues, unless you are at a park owned by Busch, Universal, Disney or Hershand if their hasn't been a good queue made in 20+ years unless you count redos of old queues (like Scooby Doo.) Some sort of shade covering and mister fans is all you got.

Firehawk?

Misting fans....check.

Some sort of queue covering? Well, it looks like one, but it doesn't function very well as one.

Millennium Force's queue is not substantially different....

Firehawk does have misting fans. It did not when it originally opened at Kings Island, however they are there now. They are the same ones found at Cedar Point in line for Skyhawk, TTD, MF, etc. Brings me back to a lesson about synergies that The Interpreter once told us about.

If you read Mr. Helbig's blog entry today he mentioned the stage in Rivertown was demolished today and soon the Red Beard's Revenge building (former old time photo) building will be destroyed as well. It will be interesting to see how they form a queue line for Diamondback. I wonder if Cedar Fair is trying to save money, and provide a better aesthetic look by only installing a limited amount of queue line so after the rides popularity dies down in a few years, there are not seas of queue lines everywhere as seen at CP or over by Son of Beast. Personally for The Beast I think this year they showed that their investing more money into landscaping. I'd be just as happy if they add some flowers and just tweak the queue a bit so it's not so congested, hot, and a little more spacious.

One would hope the many synergies that Mr. Kinzel said would materialize when the Paramount Parks were purchased would be more in evidence. Having just come from Cedar Point, I am much impressed by how differently it is run from the former Paramount Parks even today. Another example? How long has it been since the acquisition? And we STILL see websites at the former CBS parks based on the old CBS/Paramount backbones, and not on Cedar Fair's. Odd, that.

CF has owned the parks for what, 2ish years now?

They have changed a great deal and probably will continue to evolve into a true Cedar Fair park, but they won't make the transition that quickly.

As to saving Que Space, is Firehawk an Example? For the first couple of weeks I saw lines spilling out the ques into the midway and even back to The Racer, but there was definatly a lot more area to build more que. Maybe (And Probably) there were other factors, and if Cedar Point is any example then chances are they're not saving space.

There was a amazing thing called treated wood back in the day so "Bugs" could not get in so that whole story was made up :)