Would you like to see shows that aren't musicals?

raptor

Maybe it's because I despise the choice of music at KI 80's, country, diva, I rather hear classic rock and roll, but it's not just that, when I was a kid amusement parks use to have things like magic shows, comedy acts, carnival acts. I would love to see this kind of stuff at KI instead of everything being a musical. Do you agree or not?

Well, they tried the carnival style sideshow last year at Halloween Haunt. It was not renewed for this year, make of that what you will.

Paramount had magic shows during their tenure as park operator, but hey why not, that would be a great use for the *Enchanted* Theatre. (Assuming that CarnEvil is not setup in their year round) Has there been a show in that venue since Scooby Doo moved in next door?

Unfortunately - I think theme park entertainment has gotten to the point where it is associated with "song and dance" revue.

That said, I'm all for variety, if the can mount a successful non-music based show, more power to them.

I just got back from Cedar Point and their "darkness" show was FANTASTIC. I don't know why Kings Island doesn't do a show like this. It's a live band and they do classic rock with some newer stuff thrown in. It is a very entegetic show. They would PACK the international showplace if they did something like this there. The talent is excellent all around (the drummer was form Cinci) and they had the Red Garter saloon rocking inside and OUTSIDE because noone else could fit in the place.

The premise is simple. They get together and work out what songs to do in the show. They did evernesence (sp?) and it sounded FANTASTIC. The cast was mostly that from the Monsters of Rock the year before. This is something I'm already looking forward to next season when I go to the point. If you get a chance you can catch it on you tube. (the keyboard player really pulls of foreplay/longtime well from Boston). With the success of rock band and guitar hero 80's rock will work. You really need to experience the show to know how good it is. That's what makes it so special, it's an experiece. Everyone understands the music and mood of each song and it shows in their performances.

Todd

I remember when I was a kid and went to Magic World in Pigeon Forge they had a magic show and I also remember a high diving act with a mix of comedy where there was a heckler in the crowd giving the diver a hard time, and the diver eventually said "You think you can do it" as it turns out the heckler was part of the show and he was the one who made the dive - for the longest time you thought the heckler was a punk and at the end you realized he was part of the show - very entertaining.

• Like 1

My family likes the shows they did this year and last years, dad was more into the 60's show over the 80's; I think the 60's was put together much better. What we wish and maybe someone has the answer is: Why doesn't KI use the nice big stage near drop zone? We walked by it going to see Robbie Knievel and have never seen it used. what a waste. One thing on the shows is they run the times too close to each other and a few of them are at the same time; Choice's choice's, which show to see? Peanut likes them ALL. There are other buildings at KI that are from outward appearances empty or not being used, put them to use....

Great ideas all around. If I were to try to come up with alternatives, I'd think of those artists who paint huge portraits of famous people in under three minutes, or chainsaw wood carvers who can carve a wildlife scene out of a few stumps. Sure, they usually play music during these, but they would be a neat complement to the already outstanding entertainment offered at the park.

I just got back from Cedar Point and their "darkness" show was FANTASTIC. I don't know why Kings Island doesn't do a show like this. It's a live band and they do classic rock with some newer stuff thrown in. It is a very entegetic show. They would PACK the international showplace if they did something like this there. The talent is excellent all around (the drummer was form Cinci) and they had the Red Garter saloon rocking inside and OUTSIDE because noone else could fit in the place.

The premise is simple. They get together and work out what songs to do in the show. They did evernesence (sp?) and it sounded FANTASTIC. The cast was mostly that from the Monsters of Rock the year before. This is something I'm already looking forward to next season when I go to the point. If you get a chance you can catch it on you tube. (the keyboard player really pulls of foreplay/longtime well from Boston). With the success of rock band and guitar hero 80's rock will work. You really need to experience the show to know how good it is. That's what makes it so special, it's an experiece. Everyone understands the music and mood of each song and it shows in their performances.

Todd

Kings Island did have a live band the last year of Fearfest (before converting to Haunt). It didn't draw a crowd and didn't come back. What works at one park doesn't necessarily work at another.

School of Rock was a very sucessful Rock Show at KI, err PKI. I wouldn't mind seeing a show like that come back.

Dont foreget though KI had Endless Summer on Ice this year, definately not your average singing show.

I wouldn't mind a new show along the lines of Cirque, with moderation. A stunt show would be a neat attraction and since RiverTown is a Wester Town now ;) they could do a Cowboy stunt show...

I'm very glad Cedar Fair has not adopted Dan Snyder's "Just show them DVD's, they just want to sit down anyway" mentality. Then again, who knows who may be running that company by next season.

They want to put on good shows that aren't just musical revues, a trip to Busch to do some scoping may be in order...and I totally agree with the Cirque idea....which, oddly enough, Six Flags has done in Texas. Go figure.

Todd

Kings Island did have a live band the last year of Fearfest (before converting to Haunt). It didn't draw a crowd and didn't come back. What works at one park doesn't necessarily work at another.

Yeah, unfortunately Cincinnati is no longer a rock n roll town, the Cleveland area that's a different story

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a comedy show. Or an action show. Or a stunt show. Or an action stunt comedy show.

Look at the Ohio Renaissance Festival and all of the non-musical acts they have there. They are great year in and year out. Get the Swordsmen or the Mud Show to KI, or something in that area. Good stuff.

• 3 years later...

^^Since when were zombies associated with Dec 21? Seems a little chilly.

I didn't mean that. I meant that a lot of people are into the dec 21 2012 and zombies stuff. I would like to see a house/show around one or the other or both for 2012 haunt.

For the summer season a stunt show would be really cool! Use the water tower over in Action Zone.