Working at KI?

CedarPointer

I would certainly think so, but since that seems to be well more than a year away in your case, who knows what the policies or even law relating to the hiring of minors will be by then? Patience, young grasshopper, patience!

I'm not a grasshopper, and I hate patience! Ohh well.

It's only 2 offseasons away, Jackson. You CAN do it!

Job fairs start in February.. so soon already :lol:

It's funny cuz I was really intent on a job with rides but was only 15 so ended up with that dreaded food industry. Annnd I could never be happier!!

I highly disagree with the comment about age. I feel I have been extremely successful at my age and have not once been discriminated for it. Your work history definitely travels with you. If you are motivated and take (I hate the repeated use of this word) initiative... then raises and recognition are available for you! My few years at the park have went with me everywhere. At winter jobs I find myself comparing (and eventually hating that employer). Always returning...

You may find you wont want to change departments after all. And if you do just keep in mind you have to receive approval to leave by your full time supervisor. Should not be to painful as I know people who have switched departments yearly. Just have to show extreme interest which shouldnt be to hard for anyone here :P

Also while I'm thinking about it, please don't bring your loving parents to your interview... Not that it effects your outcome, but slightly akward lol

--

Good luck !!!

I have a friend who worked with me that was 14 when he applied (during pre-season) and didn't start until mid-June after he turned 15. Same for me, I applied in May when I was 15 and started working after I turned 16 in June. And being that I'm now 23 ... I feel old.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of applying for a job at Kings Island next season. Is it easy to get a job there? Is it the same as WoF where admission to all the CF parks is included? Thanks! (any other advice would be very appreciated)

You should try it out, i don't think that its too hard to get a job their because they always need people. And yes the admission to all CF parks is included.

Job fairs start in February.. so soon already :lol:

It's funny cuz I was really intent on a job with rides but was only 15 so ended up with that dreaded food industry. Annnd I could never be happier!!

It has been the exact seem experience for me :D

I've been in food since I was 15 and I still enjoy it to this day. If you are 15, I'd highly recommend food if you wish to move towards higher positions in the park.

They are always looking for possible supervisors so if you're a hard worker and want to go for it, I say go for it! If you don't like it, you can always switch :)

I personally recommend the games department if you are a new hire. KI was my very first job (began at the park the day I turned 16 - May 1995) and had the most fun in that department. After working there for 4 seasons I took a job closer to home at Americana and began working their games department (1999). I then transfered to Coney Island as an area supervisor where I helped rebuild their games department during the 2000 and 2001 seasons. Americana reopened (renamed Lesourdsville Lake) and helped run their food warehouse (2002) until the payroll checks ceased cashing. After graduating from college (2004) I returned to KI working as a seasonal marketing rep and once more this season in their food distribution warehouse. I can't seem to get away from this place and keep returning season after season - I love it! I have a full-time job elsewhere, but make time each season to come out and work at the park. Of all the areas I've worked I would definitely recommend games above all others - very little cleanup and you interact with loads of guests (and girls, lots of them). Diane and Nicole are great and will surely get you started. You will have a blast as well! Just my opinion.

~Josh

You can't submit an application until you are 15. I tried it last year at the job fair because even though I was 14, my birthday was before the park opened for the season, when i went to turn in my aplication and get in line for an interveiw they told me that I would have to wait until I turned 15. And by the time I was able to apply all of the 15 year old positions were filled. Although I will say that Kaman's art shoppes, the keyhole photo, facepainting, and other art stuff people, will hire 15 year olds, and I believe some 14 year olds. I'm not as sure about the 14 year olds because everyone that I worked with this year was at least 15, but I do know that the year before last they did hire 14 year olds. But the only thing is that they don't hire through the park, they for the most part only hire people who have been reffered to work their by present employees, but I'm sure if you came into the park, and went to any of the photo or facepainting type stands they would give you an application, and maybe an on the spot interveiw, or reshcedule an interveiw time.

You can't submit an application until you are 15. I tried it last year at the job fair because even though I was 14, my birthday was before the park opened for the season, when i went to turn in my aplication and get in line for an interveiw they told me that I would have to wait until I turned 15. And by the time I was able to apply all of the 15 year old positions were filled. Although I will say that Kaman's art shoppes, the keyhole photo, facepainting, and other art stuff people, will hire 15 year olds, and I believe some 14 year olds. I'm not as sure about the 14 year olds because everyone that I worked with this year was at least 15, but I do know that the year before last they did hire 14 year olds. But the only thing is that they don't hire through the park, they for the most part only hire people who have been reffered to work their by present employees, but I'm sure if you came into the park, and went to any of the photo or facepainting type stands they would give you an application, and maybe an on the spot interveiw, or reshcedule an interveiw time.

So wait a minute...all these art related booths, kiosks, and services like the keyhole photo, the facepainting, the caricatures, etc. are all 3rd-party endeavors contracted out by CF?!? Wow!?! Why not just contract out the games too! Is the 3-point shoot-out an actual CF operation or not??

Tiggy, learnin' more and more about the industry day by day, even though it does make perfect sense...

Cedar Fair operates its own games. Do we dare tell you about Panda Express? LaRosa's? Skyline? Chick-Fil-A? Subway? The answers are not exactly what you suspect, and vary wildly. Or, on the other hand, Papa John's at Six Flags? The lockers at Six Flags parks from park to park?

The rides at state fairs?

Suffice it to say arrangements vary all over the map.

Cedar Fair operates its own games. Do we dare tell you about Panda Express?

Haha! For some reason that just made me laugh. But I do believe that Larosa's and Subway actually are operated by KI. You can tell who is and who isn't by the uniforms they wear, if they are park foodservice, then they are operated by the park, if not, otherwise is probabaly true, unless that was part of the agreement between KI and that company, that they would allow the selling of their products, under their name, if the employees that worked at that particular establishment wore that companies uniform.

But I do believe that Larosa's and Subway actually are operated by KI.

This is true. Larosa's used to be an outside vendor, but is now operated by KI.

You can tell who is and who isn't by the uniforms they wear, if they are park foodservice, then they are operated by the park, if not, otherwise is probabaly true, unless that was part of the agreement between KI and that company, that they would allow the selling of their products, under their name, if the employees that worked at that particular establishment wore that companies uniform.

This is sometimes true. Even though I worked in distribution it wasn't always easy to determine which vendors were operated by KI through a subcontract deal and which ones were not. For instance, we serviced nearly every vendor with the exception of Panda and Chick-fil-a (we only called them when their orders arrived). However, some of the vendors that we serviced were still subcontracted, such as Greaters, Cinnabon and Starbucks. The cart refreshments with the plaid shirts are KI, but the ones with the striped shirts are an outside vendor - go figure.

My question is who pays whom? Do Skyline, Starbucks, Cinnabon et al pay for the privilege of operating in the park, or does the park pay for the right to use their names?

And I know that Terpy will say "Yes"..... LOL!!!!

I have always found the Nick license thing to be completely backwards. If I ran CF (Like that will ever happen...LOL!!!), I would charge them for the right to advertize their product in front of thousands of park guests, rather than paying them for the "right" to use their name. Which is probably why I don't work in the park industry.....

• Like 1