You Can't Keep a Good Rider Down

Beast1979

Hola you offseason bitten coaster freaks!

So about a month ago I was looking through Ace online and found an event at Dollywood. I was curious, so mapquested to see how far it was. "Holly Crap, it's only 4 and half hours away!"

So I wanted to let you know that in 2 weeks I'll be headed over to Dollywood for "Smokey Mountain Coasterfest", there'll be Cabins and mountains and Coasters, and National Parks and familly fun and Coasters!

Just wanted to give you a warning, the offseason is 3 weeks shorter for me!

-Jackson

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it down there. My Grandmother lives in Dandridge which is about 10 miles from the exit on 40 to go to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. I go down to visit her and the mountains at least once a year. I thought about incorporating the area in my survival story but couldn't find a good reason to.

Haven't been to Dollywood in about 10 years and almost went this year if not for my short stay down there. Maybe next season. Can't get off work for the Coasterfest.

Have fun.

Funny you mention this since I was gonna make a post to Gigacoaster about going to Dolly for her offseason coaster fix!!

For myself, last November I went to LA and hit up KBF and SFMM to ride X before it became X2 (which as many have stated, last Nov. X ran great and was the smoothest it had ever been for me!?!)

But I digress...sadly, there will be no offseason trips for me this year since I need to save my nickels for 09 as my KI trips next year alone will triple, and I'm adding Orlando next summer for Manta and Rip Rockit, but have fun at D-wood, and we better get a PTR!! ;)

Funny you mention this since I was gonna make a post to Gigacoaster about going to Dolly for her offseason coaster fix!!

I used all of my vacation days this year. Sadly, I'm not going to be able to make it to Dollywood next month.

I was looking forward to spending time with people, I can only spend limited amounts of time with them while they are working (most of my friends up north are CP employees).. ah well, maybe next year.. :(

I have a feeling that being 62* I won't want to get wet that day. :lol:

You don't get wet on Daredevil falls but maybe a slight mist. If its open make sure you don't miss this attraction (you get less wet in the back) We rode this ride nearly 10 times and still were dry.

Mmmm K then, I'll make sure to check.

Have fun Jackson. I went to that event last year. It's a lot of fun. Pack warm clothes though. That forecast for 62 can change before then. I wish I was going this year, but other things are preventing me from making it. Be sure to see the Christmas shows as well.

Lines for the shows are pretty long. The ride lines weren't that long from what I remember last year. They actually have several different shows, including the Polar Express 4D. I'm sure mom will enjoy all the Christmas decorations. Also, be sure to take the train ride. It's a must do at Dollywood.

Mmm, for $10 for me and $5 for Trooper mom we get to go to alternate, shorter lines? Nice.

Yep, but that gets you ONE device..you must go together...or any two people with that device. Mom can watch while you and a friend ride, then you can watch while she takes an old friend on another ride, and later the two of you can go to a show together (with priority seating before the public).

Qbots rock! I discovered their greatness on day 2 at SFOG a couple years back. Managed to hit Georgia Scorcher, Goliath and Batman in an hour. And did I mention this was the year Goliath opened?

I'd like to make it to Dollywood sometime. Haven't been to the Smokies since hubby and I got married in Cherokee NC in 06. We opted for SFOG instead of Dollywood during our honeymoon.

Mmm, for $10 for me and $5 for Trooper mom we get to go to alternate, shorter lines? Nice.

Yep, but that gets you ONE device..you must go together...or any two people with that device. Mom can watch while you and a friend ride, then you can watch while she takes an old friend on another ride, and later the two of you can go to a show together (with priority seating before the public).

Well my mom is only going to watch a Christmas show, most likely no rides what so ever

"A" Christmas Show? She better do more than one or she will be VERY disappointed when she finds out what she missed! Dollywood's shows are far, far more intricate than anything you have ever seen at Kings Island....the budgets are phenomenal, and the money is spent well...Kings Island has some great talents working their shows, as does Dollywood...it's in production that the huge difference readily shows.

So reading through the Q2Q page I think I got how it works.

You get a Q-Bot, and saying you want to ride Thunderhead next, you scroll on your Q-Bot and reserve a seat on it. Then you go to Thunderhead and enter the Q2Q line, and there's a seat waiting for you?

I can't promise how Dollywood's work, but here's basically what the one at SFOG did. I walked up to the "Flash Pass" box at the entrance of the queue and touched the pass to a spot on the box. It saved that ride in it's memory and started it's internal timer based off whatever the current wait time was. Because we paid for the gold pass (which cut like 75% of the time off) we only waited a max of 15 minutes before it started beeping at us. Then the screen said "Goliath:Ride Time approx 5 minutes" so that you had time to run over to the line real quick. Then you showed the ride op at the flash pass entrance your pass so they knew it was your time. Then, depending on the ride, you either went up the exit and had your first pick of a seat, or you got in line where it was cut off before splitting out into the individual seat lines, so you had to wait 1 or 2 trains for your preferred seat.

You might not need it though. Looking at the event agenda, you're going to get ERT on the coasters, and VIP seating for the big show. During the day the lines for the rides will be minimal so it's up to you whether you'd want to spend the money for the Q-Bot. If you do decide to get one, make sure you get it early. Last year, they let us get to the QBot booth right after morning ERT, and before the park opened. They sell out quickly.