Top Gun/arrow Dynamics Status

fyrfyter

Ok, got all this figured out........firstly, something is up with the boards, so that you cannot post a hyperlink that directs you to a JPEG. For me, IE won't load it on any of my various windows computers. Secondly, both Dank and myself are right. Dank was referencing a temporary folder which is a change for just Fright Fest at Astroworld, while I was referencing the normal XLR8 page. So we are both right. The train does look intersting, but considering PKI does not currently have any spare trains for TG, and that It would be a real pain in the rear, to take down 3 or four cars completely off the track, flip them around 180 degrees and remount them, I doubt PKI would do it. It would require add'l engineering work to check the metal stresses this change would have on the ride, as well as checking, what changes it would have to the riders, and the functioning of the ride, since the train would loose some of it aerodynamics, since the cars would be traveling backwards.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's two sections to the site. You gotta get to the pic from the news page. I wasn't sure if turning the cars around would require major modifications to such things as the brake fins on the cars, since they would not be in the same place as compared to if the train were all forward, and I do think that some engineering work would need to be done, as TG does not travel at a measly 34 m.p.h., I think it does what about 60-65 m.p.h., which is going to make everything different. I also think, that they would have to check the stresses put on the train and the cars themselves, as I think most have seen the 8 shocks attached to each car, and how the cars are attached to their carriages. This change would also require testing, of course they should remove any things like cranes before testing it.

Its not the mass you ahve to worry about, losing of aerodynamics, and moving things around like where the supports for the cars are now, and where they will be when flipping half the train around, also, have to think about the underside of the car, and that wheel thing, that always lines up in the groove when bringing the train into the station. It seems pretty simple, but I think its more complicated than most people think.

I didn't take the time to read the whole thread, but I assume you're talking about retrofitting with Vekoma trains... And so the wheel thing would be irrelevant I believe, because I dont think you can do a suspended floorless, so it would become just an invert. and so it would line up every time because the shocks wouldnt be a factor. If this has already been discussed, i apologize.

No Apology needed. Actually we had discussed installing Vekoma floorless trains, but have moved on to discusiing the ins and outs of taking the last four cars, off Top Gun, and turning them around so they face backwards. Much as the XLR-8 coaster at six flags astro world is doing for Fright Fest '02. Click the link, if you want to see what everyone is talking about

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/news.html

Me neither. We were discussing the ins and outs of doing something. I was thinking that a change like that would probably require some engineering work, to make sure everything will still work correctly, after the changes and loos of aerodynamics, shifting of weight around, etc.

I'll be ****ed if they get rid of it. There aren't a lot of suspended coasters in existence that Arrow has made, and since it seems they are on the verge of disappearing. However, they could replace it with an inverted coaster and still retain the name Top Gun, like the Top Gun @ Carowinds, which is really sweet!

Guest TombRaidersthebest

I wont I mean dued its nothing its so boring you go down a hill the end why would you want to ride it when you could ride somthing much better. I want it gone, Its nothing like I said before I'd rather have a better coaster in its place.

The lack of suspended coasters, and the point that it is a moderate coaster, not a killer like SOB, Beast, or Vortex, are all great reasons for keeping it. If it didn't mean anything, and was a horrilbe ride, then why is it that people are always in line for it? Just a thought. I would rather they try to find a functional train for it, or new trains for the ride, and keep it, as it is still a neat coaster, even with all the new stuff thats out there.

yeah, I think if they find a train, or change to new trains, we will definitely see that ride stick aorund for a while. In terms of coasters and their age, it is still quite new. I'd say if there isn't another train on it by next season or new trains on it, then its probably destined for removal.