New Beast

teenageninja

Yes. I believe Ohio Codes were revised and then everything began a chang'n.

Is this a Great Adventure.

Terpy would be proud.

For some reason, even though I never got to try out the Bench style seats, I would prefer that.

I feel like it would be just a bigger train version of Fairly Odd Coaster (I have no idea what it's called now)

Woodstock Express

• Like 1

Actually, when Beast first opened, it didn't just have different seats/restraints...it had DIFFERENT TRAINS...here's the story on that, but first...

Here's a picture of the original trains:

Beast_Press_Open_8.jpg

The difference between these old trains and the "new" ones is quite obvious if you look at the last car. Besides having no headrests and buzz bars (those weren't on the current trains when they were first installed either, but were added later due to changes in Ohio code) notice that it has 4 rows of seats (the current Beast has 3 rows per car) and only 4 cars. Due to the ride's early popularity, I'm told a 5th car was even added at some point, which would make each train capable of holding 40 passengers (The current ride holds "only" 36, and an "average" wooden coaster, let's say Raven @ Holiday World, usually holds about 24)! However, even though these were good for capacity, they proved to simply be just too large and heavy and were damaging the ride (Like father like son?), so the current 6-car, 3-row trains were added. Unlike SOB (which also during its life had 2 sets of trains, with the first one ending up being too heavy), however, this switch actually worked and helped the ride (Would something like the 2006 SOB accident have possibly occured on Beast had they kept using the original trains? It's a scary thought...). The Beast was also originally designed to run 4 trains, but during testing, it proved to be worthless as one of the trains would keep being "blocked" and stuck on the 1st lift hill, so the 4th train was scrapped. The trains you see in that picture also have a red front car, but the color changes to yellow the further you go back on the train, the cars colors were changed to just red when the yellow proved too be a little too easy to spot in the woods.

And get ready for this: Trains aren't the only changes The Beast has had during its lifetime, here's a list of what I know about the ride:

-The ride used to have only 3 tunnels, and the final helix was originally not enclosed. The ride got its current set of tunnels in 1980, when 2 short tunnels in the middle of the ride were connected into 1 long tunnel, and the helix tunnels were added.

-As you may know, The Beast originally had skid brakes- old style wooden coaster brakes that can still be found on some old coasters in other parks. These remained on the ride until 2001, but on a fateful day in October, there was a minor accident where the brakes failed due to rain and 2 trains bumped in the station at a whopping...5mph. No one was seriously injured, but the park took notice and changed the braking system. When the ride re-opened in early 2002, not all of the trim brakes had been re-installed, which gave Beast riders some wild rides, but eventually before 2002 was over, the current brakes were all in place.

-The ride's final helix was re-tracked and re-banked in 2009, for "smoother rides". Some Beast fans have complained about this, claiming the final helix is no longer what it once was, and while I had never ridden Beast prior to 2009 I still personally find the helix forceful and intense enough, and it's a still an epic finale to a great ride in my opinion...though I do wonder what it was like before 2009...

-The ride itself is not all that has been changed. Originally, there was a pond surrounding The Beast's station and turnaround, that smelled nasty according to some. It was, according to KingsIslandPR, removed when Vortex was built, but this cannot be 100% confirmed. Also, there were once more switchbacks in the main q-line, but they were removed as the ride's massive popularity dropped from "insane" to just "popular".

-The Beast's entrance has even been moved! In 2001 (a photo I saw from that year showed its "old" location to me), the ride entrance was much further up the midway in Rivertown, not sure when it was put there. However, in 2009, Diamondback opened and the entrance was moved back to its original 1979 location.

-Thanks to LongLiveKingsCobra for this one: When in line for The Beast, you will see vending machines under a building labeled "Beast Canyon Cold Drinks". Well, believe it or not- that was once a place where you could buy food and drinks (basically, a restraunt in line for a ride)! This was probably due to the 3+ hour waits Beast was known to get in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

It's amazing just how much one coaster can change throughout the years...

• Like 5

^

Mmm...Funnel Cakes while in line for roller coaster...(gets on Coaster after 10 minute wait because it not that crowded)...yay! Whee!...oh I don't feel so good...BLAGH!!! (Throws up in helix tunnel so bad, the ride is closed for 2 weeks to be cleaned...) :wacko:

Perhaps it was a good idea when the ride got 3+ hour lines...maybe not so much today...

• Like 4

-The ride's final helix was re-tracked and re-banked in 2009, for "smoother rides". Some Beast fans have complained about this, claiming the final helix is no longer what it once was, and while I had never ridden Beast prior to 2009 I still personally find the helix forceful and intense enough, and it's a still an epic finale to a great ride in my opinion...though I do wonder what it was like before 2009...

-The Beast's entrance has even been moved! In 2001 (a photo I saw from that year showed its "old" location to me), the ride entrance was much further up the midway in Rivertown, not sure when it was put there. However, in 2009, Diamondback opened and the entrance was moved back to its original 1979 location.

The first one: The double helix, in my opinion, was a little better in 2008 and before, but there wasn't a drastic change. The old banking provided more laterals (though not up to par with The Legend's helix laterals, but closer), and the condition of the track because of them lended itself to the helix seeming more intense. When the change was made in 2009, the banking was modified so the laterals were somewhat converted to positive G's (pushing you down into your seat), and I think the brand-new track tricked people (including myself) into thinking the ride had been somewhat tamed. What once was this violent, lateral-filled, and loud finale of the ride was this much smoother element with forces different from what we'd known for a while. However, once the new track wore, I think the effect of the modifications dimished almost entirely--Beast's helix is still one of the best coaster endings ever, in my opinion.

The second one: Prior to Diamondback, there was a small elliptical mound of trees, dirt, and mulch located approximately under where Diamondback's final helix is. The sign for the ride was mounted on poles on the side of the mound nearest the midway, and you could walk either way around it to get to the ride. It very much hid the ride itself and its entrance, but I liked it. It seemed like it added to the ride's notion of being hidden in the woods. At least during Haunt 2008, it was a popular location for fog machines.

Notice the color of the last car? That pic is prior to opening day 1979.

Why did they change the color of the cars? I kind of like the gradient effect myself.

I like the color of the trains in the picture ^^ Up there. I like the red and yellow train and I think they should be colored like that now.

You can also tell by looking at the station, that it was built for a 4 rows-per-car configuration. You have 4 gates, then a support beam, 4 more then another support beam, etc. This also likely accounts for why some of the gates don't quite line up with their respective row (and why the yellow arrows on the ground pointing to the correct seats are necessary in some spots).

As is mentioned somewhere else on this forum, the pond at The Beast was actually removed when the exit was reworked to make it ADA compliant/handicapped accessible. The old exit is now (at least partly) the Fast Lane entrance and was an emergency exit for years prior to that. I don't know where it originally let out, but I'm sure others here can give info on that.

• Like 1

^If you look close walking up the ramp to the station, you can see the ramp & former exit. I believe the "outhouse moon" is still on a door near the exit opening. The exit let out onto the (current) gated pathway just South of Beast that is now for authorized personnel only.

In this pic, instead of making a right down the exit, it went to the left.

Beast3_ryanshrout.JPG

In this pic (it's hard to see) on the bottom left, you can see the "outhouse" with the moon. The exit went next to that onto the pathway.

beast-station-roller-coaster-kings-island.jpg

• Like 1

I do love that they kept the old mill theme with The Beast.

I do recall getting an order of fries to eat while waiting in line. Late teens, early twenties, and plenty inconsiderate, we would eat in line because that was the only time we sat still. It's funny that even with a pass at that age, one attacks the park like it's suddenly going to disappear. I don't know if was my younger attention span, or that the park has changed, but lines in the park used to be ungodly long.

When I see people in line eating, I recall that I, myself was oblivious to the people around me, so I cut them some slack. Smoking, however, no.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

For those who have not seen it, check out the end of this video to see empty test runs early on.  It is cool to see the train run through the helix without tunnels from the ground.

<

This is a great video of what some of the park looked like back in '81, lots of old rides.  At around the 1:15 mark you will see that The Beast did indeed have 5 car 4 bench trains equaling 40 riders.  Also notice the pond, switchtrack, open tires, and that there is no trim on the first drop.

This video also shows a lot of the original Bat.  It is clear to see that the swinging motion is unique to the banking of the remaining Arrow Suspended coasters still operating today.  One can see why it tore itself apart.  But that is a different story. I like the song too.

• Like 8

Just out of curiosity--when did KI add the "observation decks" on the first and second lift hillls?  I remember as a youngster that they were there and had employees watching from each one, (and keeping us calm when we were "stuck" on the second lift hill when I was in 8th grade).  And, too, when did the stop using employees on these observation areas?

• Like 2