Great Wolf may lose Ohio resort

Great Wolf Resorts Inc. of Madison could lose its two-year-old resort in Mason, Ohio, if it can’t renegotiate its mortgage by the end of this month.

A dried-up credit market seems to be the culprit. The $76.8 million mortgage on the indoor water park resort matures Nov. 30. Great Wolf said in its third-quarter report that through Sept. 30, the property had $6.3 million in adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) and made $4.8 million in debt payments.

“We are disappointed with the lack of progress in our discussions with the loan’s head lender toward obtaining an extension of the loan’s maturity date,” said James Calder, chief financial officer for Madison-based Great Wolf. “The Mason resort continues to provide more than sufficient cash to service the current loan balance.”

The Great Wolf Lodge in Mason opened adjacent to the Kings Island theme park in December 2006, with more than 400 suites, an arcade and themed restaurants, along with the water park.

Great Wolf Resorts (NASDAQ: WOLF) owns and/or manages 11 Great Wolf Lodges and the Blue Harbor Resort in Sheboygan. The company posted third-quarter net income of $2.2 million, or 7 cents per share, compared with $1.8 million, or 6 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.

Business Courier of Cincinnati is a sister publication of The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee.

Source:http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stori...10/daily38.html

• 3 weeks later...

^ you need a course or two in proper English, Spelling & Grammar!

Another Ohio water park bit the dust last week. There are too many of them to support the market. And face it, as long as you can still buy a Slip n Slide, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a water park's fees.

Well, as someone who has done a lot of research on indoor water park resorts (that`s part of my thesis topic), I can offer some insights. The Sandusky area has a LARGE amount of indoor water park resorts. They have Kalahari, the largest indoor water park resort in the country, the Great Wolf Lodge, Cedar Fair owned Castaway Bay, and the now bankrupt Maui Sands. Those four (now three) attractions definitely over saturated the Sandusky market. Keep in mind that the Sandusky area only has a population of nearly 60,000 people in the winter. Certainly not enough to sustain all those indoor water parks.

And keep in mind that the Kalahari Sandusky has over 170,000 square feet of indoor water park space. By comparison, Great Wolf Lodge at Kings Island has 78,000 square feet of indoor water park space and Coco key has 50,000 square feet.

And from the numbers that Great Wolf has released for the Mason property, it is certainly making money for the company. It`s just that GE Capital, the lender that owns the mortgage was not wanting to extend the time period, due to the current state of the economy. I would not say that Great Wolf is about to loose the lodge. Secondly, it would be even more unlikely for Cedar Fair to acquire the property, due to the large debt load that Cedar Fair has from the Paramount Parks purchase in 2006.

..not to mention the FACT that Cedar Fair was offered CBS's then interest in Great Wolf Lodge as a part of the Paramount Parks acquisition. Cedar Fair declined.

Separately, it's not just Great Wolf Lodge with mortgage problems. Now its lender, GE Capital, is tapping the FDIC backed bond program:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinanci...226892220081202

More on GE Capital...here characterized as "ailing." I'd think the strong scrutiny GE Capital is now under would make a deal at Great Wolf Lodge in Mason less likely....or at least make the terms more onerous:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/12/02/g...2markets36.html

In plain English, the mortgage was due on Great Wolf Lodge Mason on November 30. The company didn't pay it as it apparently didn't have the money and couldn't get refinanced. And GE Capital apparently doesn't want stuck with the property, as it must now be worth less than the balance due. This could get...interesting.

Did you not see my post above? I do not think that Cedar Fair would be in a position to acquire this property given their own debt load. Not to mention that Cedar Fair, as Interpreter noted, passed up the opportunity to own a minority stake in the property when they purchased Paramount Parks from CBS.

Heres a thought though. Cedar Fair cut the woodie for GA out of the budget this year. Could that be in part because they are planning on buying the Mason resort at a greatly discounted price? Yes I know that the mortgage is more than the total capital expenditures for Cedar Fair this year, but that all would not be due up front and they could possible get the property for less.

I know what others have said, but just being a little devils advocate, after all it is an interesting conversation.

Did you not see my post above? I do not think that Cedar Fair would be in a position to acquire this property given their own debt load. Not to mention that Cedar Fair, as Interpreter noted, passed up the opportunity to own a minority stake in the property when they purchased Paramount Parks from CBS.

Didn't Mr. Kinzel say they were interested at creating resort destinations at the former Paramount Properties? If the price is right for the business, never say never.

Didn't Mr. Kinzel say they were interested at creating resort destinations at the former Paramount Properties? If the price is right for the business, never say never.

Yes, he said that it was prime to develop such at Carrowinds, Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland.

If the price is right why not pick up a fully built resort on the cheap? As far as debt load goes if GE defaults the loan and they want to sell it for a quick 40-50mil. That would be a drop in the bucket for CF to pick it up. This could be a purchase that could pay for it self fairly quickly if the opportunity knocks. The place makes money but Great Wolf it self just can't afford to pay for the place all at once.

This move could make the shareholders very happy because the park would be picking up a profitable unit and can be made more profitable once you merge operations into the company itself.

To swing a deal for Great Wolf, CF would need to do so without incurring much (if any) additional debt. I'm not sure they've got that kind of cash on hand to spare right now...

It could be a great deal, though--and one they'd need to think long and hard about before walking away. Back a few years ago when the rumors were swirling about CF buying Paramount Parks I posted then (multiple times ;) ) that CF would be smarter to buy the entire GW chain instead of the Paramount Parks. At the time GW was having some major shareholder issues, and CF probably could have picked up the whole company for about 25% of what they paid for Paramount...that certainly would have made their debt situation a lot better off today, and would have given them more assets generating revenue year-round.

I think Cedar Fair is far more knowledgeable about opperating theme parks than they are lodging. Yes I know they have numerous choices at CP, but I still see their main skill set as leading to the efficient running of parks and not moving in to the lodging market so much. Maybe a cherry picked property here and there, but I just see CF staying away from a large lodging network.

Keep in mind that I believe they also own and operate a hotel at Knott`s. Why would Cedar Fair be interested in owning hotels adjacent to their parks? Because it gives them the chance to capture out of park revenue, while offering a service to resort guests. Translation, the hotels provide Cedar Fair with additional revenue that capitalizes on the success of the park which Cedar Fair owns.

I agree that CF is far from an expert hotelier, but if you add up the properties they currently own & operate (at CF, Knotts, WoF, etc.) they have a fair number of rooms. They hired a VP of resorts & accommodations a few years back that I believe came from the hotel industry, so it does seem like it's an area with a fair amount of interest for them.

And, of course, the margins in the hotel business are pretty good compared to the theme park business. (Of course, most of my career was spent in the hotel industry, so maybe I'm a little biased ;) )

I understand opperating a hotel on or next to your park, makes perfect sense. But do they really want hotels spread out all over the country? I mean there numerous Great Wolf's that are nowhere near a CF park, not to mention that they would shut one of the 2 down in Sandusky. Doesn't make sense to me. I think cherry picking properties to opperating makes much more sense. Like buying the Mason prop on the cheap.