Winter Fest

rollercoaster

I remember giong when I was little. I liked to watch the ice skaters skate on the fountain. And I have a memory of watching people walking the track of The Vortex, cleaning off the snow with brooms. I think they played christmas music over the loudspeakers. But to anser your question, they only did that when it was Kings Island, not Paramounts Kings Island.

Winterfest wil not be coming back.

The event was never a money maker, and in the latter years was very poorly attended. A little known fact was that when it was concieved, Winterfest was only slated to run for 10 seasons.... which it did.

After the final Winterfest, the decorations were given away/donated/sold to local organizations.

In recent years, PKI deemed Fearfest a much more lucrative event to hold. And it hs done gangbusters for them.

I attended Winterfest. Most notably in it's last year. What I recall is I nearly froze my @$$ off and there was not a lot to do. The Train, Carousel, Phantom Theatre (Enchanted Theatre) and Antique cars were the only rides that operated (I believe.) There were several shows, and lots of horse/carriage rides throughout the front of the park. If you were un-educated and walked past Scrooge's house, you were sure to become the brunt of really bad jokes. I recall Scrooge really delivering some zingers to innocent bystanders ala "Hey UGLY!..... " and "Did you mean to wear that? Or was it a bad trick you're Mom played?"

Shaggy

• 15 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2002 at 10:39 PM, Shaggy said:

Winterfest wil not be coming back.

The event was never a money maker, and in the latter years was very poorly attended. A little known fact was that when it was concieved, Winterfest was only slated to run for 10 seasons.... which it did.

After the final Winterfest, the decorations were given away/donated/sold to local organizations.

In recent years, PKI deemed Fearfest a much more lucrative event to hold. And it hs done gangbusters for them.

I attended Winterfest. Most notably in it's last year. What I recall is I nearly froze my @$$ off and there was not a lot to do. The Train, Carousel, Phantom Theatre (Enchanted Theatre) and Antique cars were the only rides that operated (I believe.) There were several shows, and lots of horse/carriage rides throughout the front of the park. If you were un-educated and walked past Scrooge's house, you were sure to become the brunt of really bad jokes. I recall Scrooge really delivering some zingers to innocent bystanders ala "Hey UGLY!..... " and "Did you mean to wear that? Or was it a bad trick you're Mom played?"

Shaggy

Oh how times have changed. LOL

• Haha 3

Geez, digging up a post from 16 years ago to contradict?  LOL

In all seriousness, that was an answer to a specific question posed by someone referring to the immediate season(s) that followed.  They didn't bring it back until 2005... and gossip revealed it was a big financial flop. (Cedar Fair took over in 2006, cancelled it saying they didn't have the ability to orchestrate it in time as the new owners.  However it's pretty obvious that had it made $$$, they would have continued it...)

This past year, however, to those of us outsiders, Winterfest seemed to be a tremendous success.  I think it's owed mostly to the fact that it was brand new all over again and rode a wave of nostalgia.  However, you cant solely base an events success off the first year.  The second, third and hopefully fourth is typically the true test of it's success.  I know they didnt plan for it to be a 1 and done... so it will be around for at least a few seasons... hopefully more.  

I love it.

• Like 6

Holy topic bump!

This is a good conversation to have, though.

Here are some insights:

Winterfest is not, was not, and will never be completely off the table. 

-Even members of the current administration of the park said that it would never come back. I predicted exactly what was going to happen. You bring in a new CEO and he says “jump” guess what you’re going to do.

-The board needs to make a continuous uptrend of attendance, revenue, and net income. Once you’ve tapped out all of your ideas for the season then guess what- the park is idle for 6 months. How can they utilize that time to generate more revenue? The answer has been apparent 3 different times now.

-Although I submit to the fact that WF wasn’t a big money maker (I’ve heard differently about the 2017 edition) it is included with Gold pass and it’s very difficult to take certain entitlements like that away without a mass exodus. (see also when they were going to charge for Haunt. How did that work out for them?)

• Like 1

I loved Winterfest! I spent more $ during those four visits than I probably did in the past two seasons. Probably won't spend as much this year unless they have new long sleeve T-shirts and ornaments. But I will spend money on food and drink!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Holy topic bump!

This is a good conversation to have, though.

Here are some insights:

Winterfest is not, was not, and will never be completely off the table. 

-Even members of the current administration of the park said that it would never come back. I predicted exactly what was going to happen. You bring in a new CEO and he says “jump” guess what you’re going to do.

-The board needs to make a continuous uptrend of attendance, revenue, and net income. Once you’ve tapped out all of your ideas for the season then guess what- the park is idle for 6 months. How can they utilize that time to generate more revenue? The answer has been apparent 3 different times now.

-Although I submit to the fact that WF wasn’t a big money maker (I’ve heard differently about the 2017 edition) it is included with Gold pass and it’s very difficult to take certain entitlements like that away without a mass exodus. (see also when they were going to charge for Haunt. How did that work out for them?)

I spent more at Winterfest last year than I did the whole regular season. If I get free admission with a Gold pass, I'll gladly pay for the little add-ons here and there at Winterfest. 

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Geez, digging up a post from 16 years ago to contradict?  LOL

In all seriousness, that was an answer to a specific question posed by someone referring to the immediate season(s) that followed.  They didn't bring it back until 2005... and gossip revealed it was a big financial flop. (Cedar Fair took over in 2006, cancelled it saying they didn't have the ability to orchestrate it in time as the new owners.  However it's pretty obvious that had it made $$$, they would have continued it...)

This past year, however, to those of us outsiders, Winterfest seemed to be a tremendous success.  I think it's owed mostly to the fact that it was brand new all over again and rode a wave of nostalgia.  However, you cant solely base an events success off the first year.  The second, third and hopefully fourth is typically the true test of it's success.  I know they didnt plan for it to be a 1 and done... so it will be around for at least a few seasons... hopefully more.  

I love it.

Oh, I understand. I just saw that post from way back then and chuckled how everything changed.

I’m hearing from someone involved with winterfest that there “may “ be an opening pushed up a week. The Friday before thanksgiving is definitely jt off the table. Also, yes, there will be additional areas of the park open this year. It is pushing further into coney. With that, it’s pretty much the entire dry park. Who’d a thought? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brent said:

I’m hearing from someone involved with winterfest that there “may “ be an opening pushed up a week. The Friday before thanksgiving is definitely jt off the table. Also, yes, there will be additional areas of the park open this year. It is pushing further into coney. With that, it’s pretty much the entire dry park. Who’d a thought? 

EVERYBODY would have thought after seeing the crowds last year!:P

The WF schedule has not been released because of reasons like this. I’d say very little is off the table at this point.

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

EVERYBODY would have thought after seeing the crowds last year!:P

The WF schedule has not been released because of reasons like this. I’d say very little is off the table at this point.

But the WF schedule is available on the website, although it is subject to change...

Some rides' themes seem to mesh well with Halloween Haunt (Banshee, and to some extent Beast, Bat, Mystic Timbers), I think a winter-themed ride would be "cool"...something along the lines of Blizzard Beach at WDW.

Carowinds Winterfest 2018 schedule was just updated - Carowinds Winterfest starts the Sunday before Thanksgiving (Nov 18). Additionally, on all Saturdays will be open from 2-10pm instead of 4-10pm like last year.   Of special note, they just added New Year’s Eve hours Dec 31 of 5pm-1am.  I would imagine KI will follow a similar Winterfest schedule and open before Thanksgiving.  Will KI also have special New Year’s Eve hours like Carowinds? (Let’s hope so!)

https://www.carowinds.com/explore/calendar-and-hours

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Carowinds has now removed their Winterfest 2018 calendar which originally showed starting 3 days prior to Thanksgiving, extended weekend hours opening at 2pm on Saturday, and special Dec 31 hours open to 1am.  Wonder if this is a sign of the budget cuts across Cedar Fair due to low summer attendance figures?   Chad Showalter in his interview at the end of June indicated same Winterfest hours for KI as last year but perhaps more lights, and no mention of being open Dec 31.  Let’s just hope the plans for having Shake,Rattle,Roll and FOF open for Winterfest this year are still on table and have’t been cut from the budget.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Carowinds has now removed their Winterfest 2018 calendar which originally showed starting 3 days prior to Thanksgiving, extended weekend hours opening at 2pm on Saturday, and special Dec 31 hours open to 1am.  Wonder if this is a sign of the budget cuts across Cedar Fair due to low summer attendance figures?   Chad Showalter in his interview at the end of June indicated same Winterfest hours for KI as last year but perhaps more lights, and no mention of being open Dec 31.  Let’s just hope the plans for having Shake,Rattle,Roll and FOF open for Winterfest this year are still on table and have’t been cut from the budget.

Yes, they removed the Winterfest 2018 calendar last week.  They had a lot more days and an earlier opening time of 2pm on Saturdays.  A few weeks prior to that they had started removing operating days off their calendar, including weekends between Haunt and Winterfest.  No doubt they are taking a serious look at what days to open and hours.  Is it a result of the poor quarter or simply coincidental?

The question will be will we see KI Winterfest calendar removed as the revise it or will it stay as is.  What about other parks having Winterfest new this year - will they already cut back on what they planned?  Kings Dominion has not released their calendar yet.  And of course as you mentioned, will anything be cut from KI Winterfest...

Keep in mind CF operating calendars always have the "Dates and hours subject to change" disclaimer, but it is probably good from a communication standpoint to remove the calendar until they are sure it is good.  Imagine people making plans to go to Carowinds Winterfest on December 31st and not come back and look at the calendar and find they eliminated it (if that is what they do)...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Yes, they removed the Winterfest 2018 calendar last week.  They had a lot more days and an earlier opening time of 2pm on Saturdays.  A few weeks prior to that they had started removing operating days off their calendar, including weekends between Haunt and Winterfest.  No doubt they are taking a serious look at what days to open and hours.  Is it a result of the poor quarter or simply coincidental?

The question will be will we see KI Winterfest calendar removed as the revise it or will it stay as is.  What about other parks having Winterfest new this year - will they already cut back on what they planned?  Kings Dominion has not released their calendar yet.  And of course as you mentioned, will anything be cut from KI Winterfest...

Keep in mind CF operating calendars always have the "Dates and hours subject to change" disclaimer, but it is probably good from a communication standpoint to remove the calendar until they are sure it is good.  Imagine people making plans to go to Carowinds Winterfest on December 31st and not come back and look at the calendar and find they eliminated it (if that is what they do)...

I’m their defense, at least they’re doing it early. 

I think KI’s Winterfest schedule as it stands now is very minimal. I don’t see them cutting more. That would almost be foolish from an investment standpoint.

We don’t know what their plans are, but I don’t disagree that this wouldn’t be a good year to take any kind of chance on opening early.

18 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And since my post about Kings Dominion Winterfest 14 hours ago lol, today they added their Winterfest schedule to their website.  They show a December 31st opening as Carowinds did before they removed their calendar...

Interesting. Also has a 1am close.

I’d be there if KI did this.

3 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

Am I the only one that was slightly let down entering the park this spring after having visited Winterfest?

Totally. I was hoping the bar would be raised a bit to the level they set seeing that they can actually theme areas, have quantity of entertainment at a variety of scales and good variety of food and retail options. Small step though, small steps. 

19 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

It will be interesting to see if this year`s WinterFest maintains the same quality as last year`s WinterFest.

From accounts I have heard,the CAGA WinterFest was bigger and better in its second season; I see no reason why CF would cut back on KI's second WinterFest.

• Like 1