Walt Disney World Lets You Bring Food In

The best-priced food I've seen is at Water World in Denver. It's really good, and the prices are quite competitive with outside establishments. A lot of people bring in food anyway... especially at CP. It's hard at KI because of the metal detectors, which CP lacks.

(btw, CP does allow outside food at the picnic shelters)

Not at Disney...you see, their food quality is far in excess of what most people could/would bring in, and the pricing is a relative bargain, compared to seasonal operators like Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Uhhh, the only Disney Parks that I think food is palatable are EPCOT in the various pavilions and Plastic Animal Land. <G>

Not at Disney...you see, their food quality is far in excess of what most people could/would bring in, and the pricing is a relative bargain, compared to seasonal operators like Cedar Fair and Six Flags.

Uhhh, the only Disney Parks that I think food is palatable are EPCOT in the various pavilions and Plastic Animal Land. <G>

I am always pleased with the food selection at Disney. EPCOT is my favorite, yes, all of the World Showcase restaurants are oustanding. Animal Kingdom has Yak & Yeti plus its quick service counter part....its reasonable and the food is GOOD. Magic Kingdom has Columbia House thats reasonable, nice portions and again good food. Terpy is right in that the prices are reasonable, especially compared to the likes of Cedar Fair and Six Flags. In fact when a 20oz bottle of Coke was selling in the vending machines at KI for $3.50.....they were selling for $2 in the machines at Disney.

- Todd, even at SeaWorld the food prices are cheaper and the quality BETTER

The Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks are well aware that the only way to get most guests to buy their substandard food at their high prices is to restrict them from leaving (Six Flags even has tried no re-entry policies) and/or keep them from bringing in outside food and drink. There was a time when Kings Island allowed picnic baskets.

I have never understood the no food policy-really!! What harm does it do? I am more concerned with the potential knives and guns and what not-who cares about food!!

It has to be part of a business revenue stream. They want you to buy their food and drink. It is the same if you go to a sporting event, see a movie and even Riverfest. People have ask why KI charges so much for parking and they voice it should be cheaper or even free. It is the same with the price of food. People will spend several hours at the event and will need something to drink and eat. The way to reduce the price of Coke in the vending machines is to not buy it. But if people continue to buy it, the price will not come down. Coke might have a say in the minium price their product can be set at. I know when I worked at a market research firm, Coke and the rest of the softdrink companies set their price that the retail stores sold it at.

The Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks are well aware that the only way to get most guests to buy their substandard food at their high prices is to restrict them from leaving (Six Flags even has tried no re-entry policies) and/or keep them from bringing in outside food and drink. There was a time when Kings Island allowed picnic baskets.

Yes, but paramount put an end to the picnic baskets.

Isn't it interesting that as the food quality decreased and the price went up that the no food policy was instituted?

I have never understood the no food policy-really!! What harm does it do? I am more concerned with the potential knives and guns and what not-who cares about food!!

It has to be part of a business revenue stream. They want you to buy their food and drink. It is the same if you go to a sporting event, see a movie and even Riverfest. People have ask why KI charges so much for parking and they voice it should be cheaper or even free. It is the same with the price of food. People will spend several hours at the event and will need something to drink and eat. The way to reduce the price of Coke in the vending machines is to not buy it. But if people continue to buy it, the price will not come down. Coke might have a say in the minium price their product can be set at. I know when I worked at a market research firm, Coke and the rest of the softdrink companies set their price that the retail stores sold it at.

The whole thing is a bad idea. I load up before coming to the park, and if need be, eat when I leave. I will not pay $3.50 for a Coke, that is plain theft of the public. The food quality is crap as well. The first time I tried to ride Firehawk it was hot, no wind, line up to the lockers, and then they had employees coming up to the line trying to sell 3 dollar waters and such. Besides having to use the bathroom, I left the line cause I thought that was just plain poor taste. Wasn't that the type of scenario that caused the riot at the last Woodstock??

My point is a simple one....as long as Cedar Fair can best maximize profits by charging the prices it does and delivering the food that it does, it will do so. If people refuse to pay the prices charged, or greatly reduce their park purchases and/or visits, the pricing/product mix will change. And so far, at least, people are paying those prices. Cedar Fair must have determined that it can make more money charging approximately $3.50 for a Coke than it can at $3.25, $3.75, 75 cents, $9 or...for that matter, by pricing nearly all of its beverages into the admission price and calling it free all day as a certain park in Indiana does.

Just so you guys know - the food policy at WDW isn't a new thing for this year. It's been in place for as long as I can remember. People usually prefer to eat in the parks, however, because you get an experience with your food in most cases. At Epcot you've got not just the International restaurants, you've also got Coral Reef, where you can watch the aquarium while you eat and interact with the divers. You've got places you can eat with Princesses, Mickey, pirates, every character you can imagine. And you can also include your meal plans in with your overall vacation packages, along with your tickets and hotel. Some people like that "buy it all up front and pay nothing while you're there" option. The way Disney is setup makes it easier for them to allow food in without it hurting their profits - after all, you're probably going to give in to your kids when they say "but Moooooom! I want to eat with Snow White!" Plus they're making money not only off your tickets but also off your hotel stay in most cases, and all those souvenirs you buy. CF doesn't have the infrastructure at it's parks to lose some of it's food revenue but make up for it in other areas.

The whole thing is a bad idea. I load up before coming to the park, and if need be, eat when I leave. I will not pay $3.50 for a Coke, that is plain theft of the public.

That is not theft, that is how a business, and there are many across the world, work. KI\'s prices are high, yes, but there are worse out there. The point is business are in the business to make money, they\'re not intentionally trying to screw over the public or make people poor, they\'re trying to generate revenue. You\'ve stated you will not pay $3.50 for a Coke, and that is very respectable. My parents were the same way and unless I really need it, I usually abstain from that price, but there are many people willing to pay for the product and they make the choice to spend their money. People have a choice, it\'s not theft. Water is always available for free at the park.

The food quality is crap as well. The first time I tried to ride Firehawk it was hot, no wind, line up to the lockers, and then they had employees coming up to the line trying to sell 3 dollar waters and such. Besides having to use the bathroom, I left the line cause I thought that was just plain poor taste. Wasn\'t that the type of scenario that caused the riot at the last Woodstock??

This has always been done at the park, vendors walking around with carts selling food and drinks. (I\'m sure Woofer can tell you a lot about them :) ) It should be noted though, that after the first weekend Firehawk opened the kids working the ride there staffed a position in line where they handed out free cups of water to anyone who asked and continued this the entire season.

We learned quickly to bring our own food into Disney parks. Our first time going with GatorGirl, in 2006, the first thing we did when we got to MK was have breakfast at the bakery on Main Street. While it was very good, we wasted a lot of time there waiting in line, getting a table, then eating. And as some of you know, the Gator family likes to go go go when we're at parks.

The following year, we were smart enough to start bringing our own breakfast into the parks. We typically bring Nutrigrain bars and juice, which we're able to eat while watching Dream Along with Mickey, or while standing in line for our first ride. It saves a lot of time in the morning and gives us just enough to hold us over until lunch. And yes, Woofer, we like the food there, much better than what KI currently has to offer! ;)