Do You Watch The Shows?

Dane

I don't watch the shows there. If I do I liked to see them in the Paramount Theater. The best show they has was WEBN's show. An they didn't even make it.

When I was yonger like 5 or 6, I loved the theater 180. My favorate show/ride was the one where the cat drove the car from the cops. :lol::D:lol: It felt like the floor moved but it didn't.

Based on my other posts, it shouldn't be hard to tell that I see the shows...considering I've worked at them. There have been some good ones in the past...of course there have also been some not-so-good ones. My favorite was "Retro: Repeat The Beat". It was at the International Showplace the summer of 96.

The only shows at PKI I ever watched, used to be the dolphin and sea lion shows they had. Other than that, the only ones I watched were the ones they used to have in Festhaus, so you could take a break, get some, food and watch something good. The Festhaus shows were always good. I like dit when they had the game show in there.

Sorry to anyone that may work in PKI entertainment.

The shows at PKI are embarassing. For a park chain that is owned by the most widely recognized and well respected movie Studios, their entertainment stinks.

I will admit that "Graveyard Shift" was the best sing/dance show of the past 10 years, but that isn't saying much. Why since 1990, we as guests have been subjected to the likes of "Cheer's the musical", "Entertainment Tonight Live" etc etc etc. For some reason, parks have fallen into this trap of thinking everyone wants to see pop/hip hop shows headed by a cast of 4 16-year olds. Not true.

Years ago, KI had shows that were really great. Why, one show in-particular "Celebration" was so popular it ran for several seasons and culminated with a cast album being sold and recorded. The difference was, it had a cast of like 25, was heavy on scenery, costumes and lighting, and even had a live orchestra that played for it. Compare that to today's shows that literally have a cast of less than 10 of which only 4 are singers and the rest is canned.

Because PKI is local to CCM (Cincinnati Conservatory of Music) they have a wealth of performers to draw from. However, park entertainment is considered the bottom of the barrel by most professional performers... especially when they do not even pay scale wages. Thus the park resorts to casting teenagers, no offense, that really lack the training and experience. Every now and then, you see or hear someone who is really outstanding. But typically, they are smart enough to not last long.

Paramount, did bring in the ice show for many years, but that ended with budget cuts. Truth is, Paramount Parks is cutting park entertainment left and right... they consider it an non-profit expense. It really is a bad move, IMO. Right now there is a thing called the "greying of America" as the baby-boomers are entering their golden years. The draw for older adults is not rollercoasters or thrill rides, and they must be given something to do or see at parks in order to enjoy themselves.

Shaggy

Shaggy -

I agree for the most part...The entertainment has gone downhill...and I'm hoping (after 2003) that the shows pick up some steam. I think 2003 will be a transition year and then things should pick back up. I do think some of the shows in the past few years have been ok (Retroactive, Retro: Repeat The Beat (my fav), the Flintstones and the Jetsons shows at enchanted theater, the original Nick shows (pre-Slime Time Live), etc.). Of course, that's coming from someone who worked there (sometimes seeing a show 30+ some times a week).

Oh yea, we actually have the "Celebration" album...I don't really remember the show clearly, but we do have that record.

Yea, the old shows were good. I did watch the Scooby Doo show this year and it was pathetic. It was probably worse than the High school performance of Our Town. For some reason I see PKI getting a huge overhaul for next year. I think the entertainment is going to be great and the food will be better, the rides will be better. PKI is going to be one of the greatest parks to be at next year and 2k4.

PKI has posted on their website, that they are now searching for entertainment for next season. They are hitting colleges and places in four states. OH, IN, KY, and PA. Hopefully they can find some decent talent, and get some decent ideas as well as make some decent shows, so the shows this season don't suck.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a brief period of 4-5 years when the shows at Kings Island were the best in the country.... "Live at the Palace", Dancin in the City", Its Magic" and "Superstars"..then paramount took over and the few shows they budgeted were terrible. Remeber when they would do 3 different shows a day at International Showplace? character show in the morning, a pop show in the afternoon, and a country show at night...with an ice show in festhuas..a street show at the fountain...and a clown band roaming the park. Most memorable to me though were the amazing christmas shows they used to do at Winterfest. I now live in Orlansdo and work for Disney...and I still say those shows were better than anything here. Alos..if your catch the "Carmen Electra" E true hollywood story...you'll see clips from "Its Magic" when she was a dancer at Kings Island

Howdy Ya'll - I'm new here, got bored one day and stumbled across this site.

Anyways, having worked in the PKI Entertainment dept. for 6 years, I've noticed a lot of the good and bad shows. For the long time E&A workers, it was agreed upon that Entertainment Tonight was THE worst show ever done there. Thats saying a lot, as there have been lots of bad shows there! I took part in the Nick show for 3 years, and it went from bad to worse, to even worse. I want to blame a lot of it on budget cuts, which is true in some cases, but the way they used to handle which new shows to get was very limited, the central company would offer 2-3 shows, which they got to chose from. Graveyard shift was definatly one of the better song/dance shows to go through in a while. Scooby used to be entertaining for the young'ins, but repeating the same bad show for a second year was not a good idear. Although I'm not there anymore, I go back at least once a year now to watch the shows, and every year I keep my fingers crossed for an improvement in them. I know there a lot of changes coming up in the entertainment dept. for next year, which could either be a godsend or pure hell for the E&A staffers. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I will say that they could use their local "talents" a lot more, but I think they started doing that this past year, I noticed they were everywhere auditioning. I got lucky when I got hired there, and those were some of the best summers of my life (especially my first year) but most of the people I met and became friends with were from out of town, which I think hurts the park in the longrun (harder to get return employees, ect...) I'm not even sure what I'm rambling on about anymore, but I'm bored...so yeah, again, hey everybody!

I have to admit I watch the shows and most of them were Graveyard and Pop Fusion.....me friends and I loev those shows! They always made us laugh and we knew the songs.......I love PKI"s shows now, but the old ones were way better and the marching band that use to go around was my fav. show when I was little. So they need more broadway style shows and the marching band back :D:D I think they should have broadway show there liek Cabaret or Rocky Horror Picture Show( l0l j/j) The paramount company has plenty of musicals under there belt they could do teh stage version. Or they coudl bring back another Pop fusion show with jits form rite now. Or a comdey show or sumthing like stomp out loud(the peple who beat on trashcans and stuff) that woudl eb awesome, but what ever tehy do they need more audience participation!! or summin' that gets the audience wet! So yeah!! YAY! :P:P:P

I agree with you that they need more audience interaction. I think that the shows tend to be bland for the younger crowd unless there is something drawing them in, be it something as small as an actor running through the audience talking to people, or just giving high fives, stupid small stuff like that. However, knowing from experiance, and I'm sure SML828 would know this, after the 2nd year of Nickelodeon the "mess" was trimmed WAY down, partly due to budget issues, and the other part was people (see:parents) complaining about the water/mess getting on them, despite all the warnings.

On a side note, they've tried a few times to keep the "marching band" going, but it will never be as good as the glory days of the original Clown Band, although the Way Too Much TV Band did have it's moments.

• 17 years later...
2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Reviving an old thread can sometimes be the most entertaining. Seeing what people said years ago compared to now is very interesting.

OMG, thank you! A lot of forums look down on bumping old threads, but I love seeing the old posts, how things change, how things don't change. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Joshua said:

OMG, thank you! A lot of forums look down on bumping old threads, but I love seeing the old posts, how things change, how things don't change. 

A lot of KIC members love historic info, including old threads on the boards. The mods here are fine with old threads being bumped.

• Like 4