The Park Map From 1972!

Stitch

I think the maps today suck... the rides are drawn horribly, a third grader could do it... it's a joke really... they've used the same map for like 5 years. And in the fearfest map, they used the same exact map, just covered up rides that weren't used like face off with little trees... I can scan in one to prove it... I know it's a business and all, but if there business is serving the customer, their maps should be a little more accurate and more professional.

I think that is thw whole look they are going for with the map, by giving it that cartoony look. Not to mention the fact that, they probably go through millions of the maps each season, considering people pick them up, carry them around and then pitch them at the end of the day. They aren't gonna go all out and spend a ton of money on soemthing that gets thrown away on a dily basis, and is provided to guests free of charge.

What I like about the current rides on the PKI maps over the past few years is the attention to details. How so? If you look at the 1972 map shown here for instance, the train is going the wrong way, the antique cars are headed in the opposite direction, etc etc etc.

Although the latest PKI maps may have a cartoon flair to them, at least they have accuracies... you can thank Jeffrey Siebert for that.... he oversees them.

Finally, in the early to mid 1990's KI's maps hit an all-time low. With just boxes and generalities for rides and locations... no detail whatsoever. As the decade progressed, there was a bit more focus on making them more legible. However below is an example of one that will give you an idea of how much they have improved. This one is from 1997 and is actually pretty good compared to some earlier in the decade... believe it or not.

http://www.themeparkbrochures.com/maps/199...97/pki1997.html

Shaggy

The actual reason was because they re-routed the exit. The exit used to backtrack under the station and exit into the now fenced off area between Beast and Tomb Raider (then KCKC.) That area is now used for Vending/Ecology storage.

The new exit ramp was extended to run along side the turn out of the station and then next to what is now the 1st que house. This allowed the park to add the on-ride photo booth and create an exit plaza for people waiting for riders. Prior, people had gathered next to the entrance creating a bottleneck and traffic jam.

The low lying new exit path required that the water be drained. It also aided by eliminating the need for a circulation pump. Even though it had one, the water still smelled and attracted mosquitoes as somone else mentioned. But also, the unclenaliness of the guests made for constant trash floating in the pond. There was a small boat that ride ops had to use nightly to gather floating trash from the pond.

What many do not realize is that the Photo Booth for Beast took the place of one of the original queue houses. Prior to the exit being re-routed there was another entire que area that was used for extremely busy days. Although a fence covers most of it now, the concrete pad still exists.

Shaggy