SFFT Closed Due to Weather--wow

Holiday In The Park not held tonight due to inclement weather:

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Six-F...eIRwTzwSzQ.cspx

SAN ANTONIO – Fiesta Texas management closed the park on Monday because of inclement weather. The cold air arrived in the San Antonio area Sunday morning and temperatures for Monday weren’t expected to get above the low 40s....According to Six Flags' Website, refunds and rain checks are not offered for inclement weather.

My head hurts.

I would be irate if I was a paying customer and was told that the park was closing due to "inclement weather" which was because it was too cold out. It would be different if it was raining or snowing, but to close just because it was cold out? I would be mad if I paid to get in, only to have my time cut short without a proper refund.

The translation of the "inclement weather" is that because its cold and not enough people showed up for us to make money, we are going to shut down early, since we already got your money. Sorry about your luck, but we do not offer rain checks or refunds!

Very true. I know two years ago when Coney lost power on a busy Saturday afternoon, we started issuing rain checks for guests to come back after the power had been out for an hour and a half. It ended up coming back on after two hours of being out at six o`clock.

That day was a stressful day for me, as I was working the Ferris Wheel, and it was fully loaded when we lost power! We were in the process of loading a car, when our hydraulic lift (which raises up to the cars and keeps it from rocking when guests are boarding) just died. I immediately looked next door to the Spin A Ree since we didn`t have power, and sure enough, that ride had just stopped to. Then the radio went crazy! It ended up, that we had about six ride ops pull on the wheel to get it moving so we could unload it. Once it got a little off balance, we were able to unload it the rest of the way. But then we got paid to sit there for two hours. We couldn`t go on break, since the breakroom had no power and couldn`t make any food!

Which was a valid reason for closing the park. Compared to just being cold. And at least the day that KI closed WinterFest due to snow, they didn`t even try to open the park. I certainly hope that they gave out comp passes to those that were essentially "booted out of the park."

Then there was the time CBS closed Kings Island during WINTERfest. Why? It snowed.

I don't know where you live Interpreter, but if you've ever been driving around folks from Cincinnati when it snows you'd think there was a blizzard every time. The way people over react and freak out to even the slightest snow fall in this area is ridiculous.

Which was a valid reason for closing the park. Compared to just being cold. And at least the day that KI closed WinterFest due to snow, they didn`t even try to open the park. I certainly hope that they gave out comp passes to those that were essentially "booted out of the park."

Then there was the opening day at Kings Island under the last years of CBS ownership (thankfully). It was very cold. In fact, the high that day was about the same as the high projected for Texas last weekend--around 40. There were strong winds. And about 300 people in the park at Kings Island. Maybe. After a couple of hours, the park closed. "I certainly hope that they gave out comp passes to those that were essentially 'booted out of the park.'" I bet in Texas, like that day at Kings Island, most everyone there had what Mr. Kinzel calls a "season's pass."

True. Most people might have been pass holders. But, there might have been some paying customers there. If there were, and they were forced out after only an hour just because it was cold, and they paid for five hours, I`m sure they would have not been pleased and would like to have the chance to experience the park under better conditions.

Yes, the park`s policy is to not offer rainchecks or refunds. But what would be the smarter thing to do? Give comp passes to those who paid the general admission price and have them come back a later night and experience the event, maybe spend some money on food and merchandise during their future visit and, hopefully, have a nice impression of the park and want to return in future years. Or, not offer comp passes and say sorry about your luck. We sincerely hope you continue to visit us in the future, thanks for your money. Those customers then might think twice about visiting SFFT. Which is smarter from a business point of view in attracting and keeping potential customers?

Virtually nothing was open. No Beast. No Racer. No Son of Beast. No Fairly Odd Coaster. No Runaway Reptar. Flight of Fear was open and had a one train wait. No outdoor steel, it was too cold, we were told...Flying Eagles were already gone to Carowinds, I seem to recall...they would have been a very cold ride in any event. Drop Zone was also closed, if I remember correctly. It was CBS, so the shows hadn't even started yet. Bundled up, we walked around the park and said hi to the many ride operators we knew at the time. An empty park with very nearly nothing to do, it was.

I don't know where you live Interpreter, but if you've ever been driving around folks from Cincinnati when it snows you'd think there was a blizzard every time. The way people over react and freak out to even the slightest snow fall in this area is ridiculous.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I have friends in Wisconsin and Canada that laugh at the way we flip out over an inch of snow down here, they are like come up here, you will see REAL snow. People around here drive 40 mph on state routes when it's RAINING.. I mean come on, I have a job to get to, move the ____ out of the way.

And then there was the Opening day in April when temps were in the 30's and it was snowing. The decision was to close the park early but early was 5pm/6pm. We actually were wearing the Winterfest Parkas. Prior to Paramount's Winterfest, the event never closed due to "Inclement" weather. After all, it's a winter event.

Also, you have to remember 40 degrees in TX is different than 40 degrees in Ohio. Folk in the Southern Regions don't handle the cold temperatures as well. They simply don't have the clothes to keep them warm for an extended period of time.