Best Ride You've NEVER Ridden

gad198

Since Mitch's annual coaster poll was released (and the ongoing discussion of those results) I got to thinking about the rides on the list I haven't yet been on. There are many great coasters many of us have not yet ridden, and thanks to the internet POV videos are available allowing us insight as to what those top ranking coasters offer.

What is the one coaster you've seen or heard about that you'd travel far and wide to experience for the first time?

Mine would be Superman at SFNE. I can't wait to see and feel what the fuss is about!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You would be let down.

Griffon I guess.

Well I hope so! I wouldn't want to spend all day at the top of the lift hill :lol: .

Seriously, though, is it overhyped? I've only 'experienced' it through POVs on, like, YouTube, etc. It looks enormous and fast, and my coaster experiences have been limited to Kings Island, FunTown/SplashTown USA and WDW. Does it lack air time?

Mind Bender at Six Flags Over Georgia (Good topic)

The smoothest Coaster, I have ever, ever ridden!

Mind Bender is great!

Mine actually was Mystery Mine at Dollywood and Thunderhead. Mystery Mine was a large let-down, and Thunderhead was amazing, it just flat out attacks you!

Now, I am looking forward to Voyage and Fahrenheit.

^ You would be let down.

Griffon I guess.

Well I hope so! I wouldn't want to spend all day at the top of the lift hill :lol: .

Seriously, though, is it overhyped? I've only 'experienced' it through POVs on, like, YouTube, etc. It looks enormous and fast, and my coaster experiences have been limited to Kings Island, FunTown/SplashTown USA and WDW. Does it lack air time?

Millennium Force more like Minimum Force. Yes it is a very tall, fast and smooth coaster, but the banking provides very few latteral g's and there are only a few moments of airtime on the coaster. Still I really enjoy Mille, especially for monster first drop towards Terra Firma and the unbridled speed. Just dont go expecting monsterous air or positive g's, thats not what Mille is about.

Mind Bender at Six Flags Over Georgia (Good topic)

The smoothest Coaster, I have ever, ever ridden!

Mind Bender is great!

Mine actually was Mystery Mine at Dollywood and Thunderhead. Mystery Mine was a large let-down, and Thunderhead was amazing, it just flat out attacks you!

Now, I am looking forward to Voyage and Fahrenheit.

I found Thunderhead to be a letdown and Mystery Mine to be amazing... lol

I forget about El Toro. Yea if it weren't for Millie's first drop and the last little bunny hop I probaly wouldn't ride it at all. Its fast and tall but a coaster needs more than that. I won't wait over 20 minutes for it. Some people think different but I dont't think that ride is every thing. It creeps over the airtime hills but the last one. Cool layout but some different things should have been done.

El Toro and The Voyage. I'll hopefully be getting credit on both this coming season.

As for Millie .. I appreciate it for what it is. I think it's just fine with the fast high positive-g curves and little air time, because that's how it's supposed to be and that's how I enjoy it. It still ranks as my favorite at CP and second favorite overall. That, and I don't like all the airtime on Magnum ... it hurts my legs.

I'm not sure about currently, but we have in the past.

We went to Orlando in 1999 because IoA opened then. We went in June or July, so it had only been open for about a month when we went.

Back in 2000 one of our main reasons for going to California was for Stealth. We always wanted to go out there anyway, but when we learned this was finally going to PGA, that decided it for us!

Then in 2001 a co-worker and I had the option of going to either PKD or PC. I had already been to Carowinds (but my co-worker had not), and neither of us had been to PKD... and PKD had Hypersonic XLC. So that helped make the decision to go to there!

And even with the problems Stealth and Hypersonic had in their inaugural years, I did get to ride them!

Now if only I had gone to Myrtle Beach this past summer instead of WDW...

...What is the one coaster you've seen or heard about that you'd travel far and wide to experience for the first time?...

Easy. The Rye Beach Aeroplane (aka Airplane).

Too bad I'd need a time machine.

"The Airplane Coaster was 92 feet high and was constructed as a series of whiplash curves. When the car reached the top of the first hill and started its descent, it took a sharp curve, then plunged straight down into a tunnel ten feet underground. That was nothing. The second hill was built like a whirlpool. At the top, the car made an immediate curve, then reached down a spiral track banked so steeply that you were thrown to one side and almost knocked senseless as it shook the breath out of you."

-¹Louis Botto

http://www.coasterglobe.com/features/lostl...plane/index.cfm

I'd also settle for the Riverview Bobs...

In response to TOPGUN1993`s response post to Corey`s comments about Mystery Mine and Thunderhead, I`d have to disagree with TG1993 and agree with Corey.

I found the very last part of Mystery Mine to be fun with the two inversions. However, in general, the ride seemed to be a little jerky, and it did not contain any sections with lots of speed or with a series of elements lined up together. Ie, it seemed like you would do one or two things, then hit a trim or block brake the entire ride.

On the other hand, I was blown away. Thunderhead was the first coaster that I had ridden from GCI (yes, I will be posting a PTR later tonight!). From the moment you leave the station until you hit the final brakes, the ride is non-stop intense thrills. The ride never seems to loose any speed anywhere throughout its course! It just seems to keep up its momentum and pacing throughout the entire circuit.

If I could choose one ride to ride that I haven`t, I, like the Interpreter, would need a time machine. I would love to have experienced the Shooting Star at Coney! Yes, it wasn`t the tallest or fastest, and would seem tame to most coasters at Kings Island today, but it was a classic ride that I wish I could have been alive to experience it.

As far as rides that are currently in operation that I would like to ride, that is a tough decision. While I have now ridden 78 different roller coaster (which still pales in comparison to some who have ridden several hundred), there are many that I would like to ride. I would like to experience the B&M flying coasters. Additionally, I would like to experience SheiKra and/or Griffon. Other honorable mentions would go to Alpengeist, Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia, and Kentucky Rumbler. There are just so many different rides out there, and many of them offer their own unique elements that it is hard to choose just one that I really want to ride the most.

I got to ride the Shooting Star many, many times. It was glass smooth, and full of both floating and ejector airtime. I would love to have ridden the Wildcat at Coney Island of Ohio, but even I am not that old! :) Oh, how I wish. From accounts of those who rode it, it was a far more intense coaster than was the Shooting Star. The Wildcat was designed by Herbert Paul Schmeck. Every Schmeck ride I have ever ridden has either been incredibly grand, or you could tell it had been before modern day modifications (see especially, as to the latter, the Hersheypark Comet. I'd love to have ridden that in the 1940s! See also Thunderhawk at Dorney Park, which was far better before modifications made in the late 1990's. I also much prefer its older, more unique name...Coaster!!!...).

Millennium Force more like Minimum Force. Yes it is a very tall, fast and smooth coaster, but the banking provides very few latteral g's and there are only a few moments of airtime on the coaster. Still I really enjoy Mille, especially for monster first drop towards Terra Firma and the unbridled speed. Just dont go expecting monsterous air or positive g's, thats not what Mille is about.

Minimum Force?!....HA!!!! :lol: That's why the Superman coasters are so bad-a$$!!! They're what MF should have been!!

And as an absolute El Toro nut, I have to say T-Express, which allegedly is better than the Bull!? :unsure: Plus, I could make a quick trip to Eagle Fortress (the alleged best coaster 'you' have never been on, by many accounts!?)

X2.

**For those of you who claim Milly has no airtime, here's a clue: STOP STAPLING YOURSELF (something any true coaster enthusiast knows). I always get airtime on MF. I see way too many people staple themselves and then wonder why the coaster is "boring" .. (never mind that it's the number 2 steel coaster in the world and hasn't dropped below second place since it was built 8 years ago).

The last time I looked, this topic was called "Best Ride You've NEVER Ridden," not "MF Bash Thread." :rolleyes:

X2.

That Ride Looks like fun.

STOP STAPLING YOURSELF (something any true coaster enthusiast knows).

Ohh Great, now being a coaster enthusiast has a vocabulary requirement? I think it's descrimination against those still in school.

(never mind that it's the number 2 steel coaster in the world and hasn't dropped below second place since it was built 8 years ago).

Now, All I want is, Superman ROS!

The last time I looked, this topic was called "Best Ride You've NEVER Ridden," not "MF Bash Thread." :rolleyes:

Well Maybe you should look more often. :rolleyes: