Q&A With Cedar Fair CEO Dick Kinzel

IAAPA

The Paramount Purchase

Kinzel made no secret about how thrilled he was to own Kings Island when Cedar Fair purchased the Paramount Parks chain, but he said Canada’s Wonderland “has really surprised us.” Cedar Fair hadn’t expanded into Canada in the past because the company felt the region didn’t fit its business model, he said, but when Wonderland was part of the purchase, Kinzel decided to give it a few years and see what happened. Good choice. After installing the aptly named new coaster “Behemoth” this past summer, Kinzel said Wonderland is poised to surpass Cedar Point’s annual attendance, something “I didn’t think I’d ever say that about any of our parks.”

^^I have to be honest, CW's attendance record sort of deserves an asterisk*** since CW is pretty much the only good amusement park for one of the world's biggest cities!! I mean, Darien Lake is close by, and I'm assuming Le Ronde is pretty close, but CW has the market well cornered!! But I guess it seems Kinzel isn't too heart-broken about CP being dethroned.

^^I have to be honest, CW's attendance record sort of deserves an asterisk*** since CW is pretty much the only good amusement park for one of the world's biggest cities!! I mean, Darien Lake is close by, and I'm assuming Le Ronde is pretty close, but CW has the market well cornered!! But I guess it seems Kinzel isn't too heart-broken about CP being dethroned.

So Six Flags Over Georgia would get an asterisk as it's next to a city of 5 million with no other major park by?

CW is a major pull for those in and outside of Canada.

No asterisks needed.

But SFOG is still relatively close to Carowinds, Dollywood, AL Adventure, HRP (Ha!! :lol: ), but either way, I did say 'sort of' and it still remains true that CW has a very cornered market, which at least helps explain away CW's large attendance as opposed to some magic touch CW has and KI does not, for example.