A Blast From the Past

BoddaH1994

The historical items that most of us would probably never come in contact with had we not been a part of this community is staggering. Absolutely staggering. We are so privileged to have access to the internet and this site, and be in contact with people that have many the same interest as ourselves.

Thanks KIC, and Thanks Don!

Another awesome picture! The back end of Coney Mall was not completed (along with the connection to Rivertown) until 1975 when Shake Rattle and Roll and the Zodiac were introduced.

See the Haley`s Comet ride? The Super Round Up ride painted in red? See that large sign that it sports? That was actually the old sign from the Shooting Star, that was moved from Coney Island and renovated for the Haley`s Comet ride. Just another little tidbit of history I thought I`d share.

And if you notice, the crowds were rather sparse on that first day of operation on April 29th, 1972. That was because it rained most of that day!

Not to step on toes, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this. It's nicely ironic that I just found these pictures yesterday and was going to post them, but them saw this thread so I thought they'd be a great addition!

My mom recently scanned some of her old slides onto the computer, and she has some from the park in 1979 (sorry footballfreak, none of Beast's entrance). It's neat to see what's still there and what is gone.

The dolphin show:

slide016.jpg

Monster (the blonde woman with shoulder-length hair and wearing glasses right in the middle of the picture, on the ride, is my mom) - look at that line!

slide079.jpg

Lion County Safari:

slide083.jpg

Kings Island Railroad - all that lush green grass!

slide081.jpg

KingsIslandRailroad.jpg

slide080.jpg

Kings Island, circa 1972

0017jpgeo6.jpg

Photo courtesy of Don Helbig

Wow!!!!!!!!!! I have not been on this forum for a while, but I see it is just as cool as ever!

This picture is just beautiful! I love looking at pictures from the first few years of KI.

The park just grew and grew.....I guess it's still growing too! :)

Thanks for the lovely picture :):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: