First Opportunity to Ride Diamondback

BoddaH1994

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once people stop pouting and realize that it's not the end of the world (yes, Diamondback is still being built and yes, we will still get to ride it), things in this thread will cool down (I hope).

Honestly, those of you who are angry sound like spoiled brats. I am amazed at the audacity of some of you who are going off about this. It's not Ryan's fault, so back off and calm down.

Everyone does need to take a step back from the ledge. This is a ride we are talking about, that's it. Everyone here is entitled to a ride, when Kings Island says that they can ride. That is all there is to it. Until then, be glad you have Kings Island in the first place and such a great ride coming to town in the form of Diamondback. It really is not much to ask to wait a day. Sit back, relax and enjoy the chance when you finally get to ride.

I honestly do not think anyone is upset at Ryan, and yes I do think the phrase "dont shoot the messenger" comes to mind. I think he is the unfortunate bearer of news that some think is unjust, and is catching the venting that some would rather aim towards the representatives of the organization that, in their eyes, wronged them. I am one who was definitely looking forward to SPPN, mainly due to the fact that I am willing to bet that the vast majority of those in attendance would have been coaster enthusiasts who have more respect while in the LARGE lines than the general public do. Ive got personal thoughts on why this information was allowed to be publicized soon after the "buy now pay later" cutoff passed, but I in no way, shape, or form hold any ill will toward, nor do I put any blame on, Ryan. I will say that, this is what makes credit card purchases great.

Ive got personal thoughts on why this information was allowed to be publicized soon after the "buy now pay later" cutoff passed, but I in no way, shape, or form hold any ill will toward, nor do I put any blame on, Ryan. I will say that, this is what makes credit card purchases great.

This date was removed from the operating schedule over a month ago, long before the "Buy Now, Pay Later" deal ended. It simply didn't hit KIC until today.

Everyone does need to take a step back from the ledge. This is a ride we are talking about, that's it. Everyone here is entitled to a ride, when Kings Island says that they can ride. That is all there is to it. Until then, be glad you have Kings Island in the first place and such a great ride coming to town in the form of Diamondback. It really is not much to ask to wait a day. Sit back, relax and enjoy the chance when you finally get to ride.

Again, don't forget that SP holders get to ride it EVERY DAY before the general public. What more could you ask for?

I wonder what day the charity auction will be now?? I can't imagine that would be cancelled, though I do agree with Terpy that Media Day could after the 18th, but I'm still betting on before...those Canuck CW employees were riding Behemoth over a week before SPPN anyway.

Details on the auction process will be released on a future date.

Is this because Construction is behind schedule and they wont have it ready for April 17th?

(Just guessing)

Honestly, one day will not make a difference will it? I'd be willing to wager that everything on DB would and should be ready to go days, if not weeks before the 18th. While this is unfortunate news, I'm still able to keep it all in perspective. Instead of riding DB multiple times each day over that first weekend, I'll settle for many, many times over the season. Just think, all the waiting on the 18th will make us appreciate that first ride that much more, no?

I am curious though, why was the SPPN cancelled? Should make for interesting questioning on the 31st.

I seriously doubt that when construction workers set a deadline that it is the very latest they can get it done. I bet that they probably set themselves to finish well before they need to in case they don't go as planned like they did here. They still have half of January, February, March, and Half of April to finish up, there is no huge rush.

I seriously doubt construction workers set the deadlines. There is a contract, with very specific deadlines, agreed to by the construction company (a subcontractor) and B and M. B and M's contract with Cedar Fair also has very specific schedules. There are doubtless incentives and/or penalties involved, along with contingencies. None of these details are public, nor will they ever be, absent some disclosure by the parties or in what hopefully never occurs, a contract dispute later on.

Well, I'll admit I'm disappointed. I scheduled a vacation day from work on 4/17 so I could be at KI when the gates opened (most likely at 5:00). My plan was to try to get multiple rides in that night while GatorGirl stayed with Grandma Gator or Mrs. Gator. Then we would visit the park the next day with GatorGirl to get all her rides in.

Now we'll have to visit Saturday, try to get there early (which never works out because GatorGirl doesn't move fast in the morning for anything), go to GR to get the parent swap card, hope GatorGirl doesn't throw a fit because we're going to ERT on DB first thing instead of SD&THC (although it may help to tell her that SD&THC isn't open yet), and hope that we don't get trampled in a running of the bulls situation.

If GatorGirl doesn't get moving early, then I probably won't get to ride it because I'd rather spend time enjoying rides with her than waiting in the DB line for 2 hours. Then my first DB ride most likely won't be until May 1st, when Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl are in Florida...ooh, I could take my vacation day then instead since KI is open all day (so far).

At least they didn't print the SPPN date on the 2009 season passes processed in the fall like a certain Mr. Fisher insisted we do back in 2000. Lesson learned there.

I am amazed at how many folks are upset over this? Seriously look at it from a business standpoint. What will seasson pass holders receive more benefit from? A single seasson pass preview night or ERT on Diamondback every day for the seasson? Willing to bet that more seasson pass holders can take advantage of daily ERT than a single seasson pass preview night. Also it saves KI money by not having to staff the park for a non public opperating day and with the cost of opperations on a day like that wouldn't be good. I am sure KI as most parks are trying to eliminate any possible slow day on their calander.

I also wonder if the Seasson Pass Preview Night was contingent on a certain number of passes being sold by a certain date? Seems like a strong possibility, especially if trying to forecast the number of folks that would attend said SSPN

^^Wow!! I think you hit it RR, with the SP sales contingency...makes all the sense in the world to me. Great call!!

But looking on the other side of the SPPN coin...the biggest defense is that many people that were attending SPPN having been waiting since October 2007 to ride D-back!! So while you may say, ok...you've waited 550+ days...just wait another!?! The point also is that they have waited 550+ days, and they don't want to wait anymore, even if that's just one day!!

In addition, undeniably the 18th will be a little more busier now without a SPPN, which does mean fewer D-back rides. Add into that the increased busy-ness at the park's open on the 18th (my biggest downside to no SPPN), although I'd have to think checkpoints will be utilized to mitigate this.

The last thing is that some people have already made plans around SPPN (good thing I waited for my vacay request), but at least this is still mid-Jan, and so hopefully people can still make changes to their plans as best they can.

But ultimately, I don't think it's fair to call people spoiled who are disappointed (because I definintely am) as long as those disappointed people also realize that in life, crap happens, and you gotta expect it and do the best you can with moving on. But I think people have a right to voice their displeasure.

But ultimately, I don't think it's fair to call people spoiled to be disappointed (because I definintely am) as long as those disappointed people also realize that in life, crap happens, and you gotta expect it and do the best you can with moving on. But I think people have a right to voice their displeasure.

I completely agree with you there! I'm disappointed, but at the same time I realize that the world does not revolve around me and things change. Sure, I made plans around 4/17, but I can always change those plans. My first DB ride might have to be pushed back a few weeks, and it may be painful to walk through the park seeing DB on my first visit on 4/18 knowing I may not be able to ride it that day, but I'll live.

And the SPPN and ERT were not "one or the other". A few on here are speaking like they were. I always understood it to be that if we had the SPPN we would have also have the ERT. The greater overall benefit of course is the ERT, and the SPPN was a nice extra (that personally would have benefitted me more).

The SPPN will be packed no matter what but the ERT every day is great! I mean go on sunday morning for ERT Im am sure you will able to get two maybe three rides in at least. At CP I was able to get 5 rides on ERT at Maverick. You could ride Raptor, Maverick and Millieum if done right twice before the public can build the line up. I for one am hoping once the GP gets to ride diamond back a few times ERT will be mostly a walk on. You wouldnt be able to ride it until at least 5pm on friday and will be able to ride it at around 10:00 on saturday thats not that much longer.

E-Mail I recieved from Don Helbig after expressing my opinion and asking why it was taken away:

Jackson,

When all of the benefits and perks for Gold and Platinum pass holders were being reviewed prior to Christmas, the decision was made to provide our Gold and Platinum pass holders with a greater benefit than a one-day event – early access every day on Diamondback plus another major roller coaster each morning. Early access on Diamondback and another major roller coaster is a season-long benefit that all of our Gold and Platinum pass holders have an opportunity to enjoy and take advantage of.

Please contact me should you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Don Helbig

Area Manager, Public Relations

Kings Island

But ultimately, I don't think it's fair to call people spoiled who are disappointed (because I definintely am) as long as those disappointed people also realize that in life, crap happens, and you gotta expect it and do the best you can with moving on. But I think people have a right to voice their displeasure.

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to a few who were in no uncertain terms going off. I can understand disappointment, but throwing a tantrum is unnecessary.

OK, based on Don's response to Jackson, I take back by statement about the ERT and SPPN not being an either/or situation. Don sure makes it sound that way, but I could have sworn they weren't. (And I tried a search on here for ERT to try to back up my view, but it doesn't allow searches under 4 letters... and I'm not going to take the time to manually scan every topic).

And to answer your question RailRider, for the greater good I would pick the ERT over SPPN. After all, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or the one)." Who knows, I may end up being able to take advantage of the ERT more than I currently anticipate. Only time will tell...

I don't really mind this at all. It will give me a chance to ride other rides in the park and spend good quality time there.

Instead of the Diamondback Ert, I'm just gonna go on The Beast Walkback...

If you're referring to the Ruth Voss Memorial Walkback for the enthusiasts, it's going to change this year. Now, card carrying members of accredited coaster and enthusiast groups that do NOT have a Kings Island Gold or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass will be able to join the Gold and Platinum Pass holders in their morning ERT on both Diamondback and the other ride that's open that day.

OK, based on Don's response to Jackson, I take back by statement about the ERT and SPPN not being an either/or situation. Don sure makes it sound that way, but I could have sworn they weren't. (And I tried a search on here for ERT to try to back up my view, but it doesn't allow searches under 4 letters... and I'm not going to take the time to manually scan every topic).

Wasn't there ERT this past year?

I don't really mind this at all. It will give me a chance to ride other rides in the park and spend good quality time there.

Instead of the Diamondback Ert, I'm just gonna go on The Beast Walkback...

If you're referring to the Ruth Voss Memorial Walkback for the enthusiasts, it's going to change this year. Now, card carrying members of accredited coaster and enthusiast groups that do NOT have a Kings Island Gold or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass will be able to join the Gold and Platinum Pass holders in their morning ERT on both Diamondback and the other ride that's open that day.

And, of course, card carrying members of accredited coaster and enthusiast groups that DO have a Kings Island Gold or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass will ALSO be WELCOME to join the Gold and Platinum Pass holders in their morning ERT on both Diamondback and the other ride that's open that day.

Terpy, just sayin'