Carowinds Thunder Road

Personally, I wish they'd hurl some of that retracking over towards another wooden in that park . . .

Hate to say it, but retracking does the Carowinds Hurler no good. During 2006, turn 3 was retrack twice during the seaon. Once at the being offseason, and once over the summer. The best time to ride Hurler is a chilly day right after a light shower. Hurler likes it cold and wet, and always performs fast and smooth at that time. I remember riding Hurler like dating a girl with mood swings, when the weather changed, Hurler changed it's peronality. However, I agree with you over Hurler when it first opened. Airtime was in excess, but it was the best ride in the park at the time.

Both of those coasters were things of supreme joy when they opened, with airtime in every seat, John Allen-style smoothness and delightful transitions and airtime. With each succeeding year, such things become more and more distant memories.

I have always wondered, is this more due to the maintenance not done, poor materials used, design work not being as "forward-looking" as it should have been, or just dumb luck due to the forces and external variables affecting our wooden friends?

Or a combination of the above? I wonder because The Beast seems to be somewhat violent especially in the back, but I wouldn't really call it rough it just attacks you. SOB on the other hand obviously is one I would call rough, or even Racer Blue side for that matter.

Rollernut offered up the idea that even if Hurler was re-tracked it wouldn't make much of a difference, is the structural design really that bad on this coaster? I have not ridden it!

It could be as simple as Carowinds uses cheap wood, however Hurler has been retracked 3 or 4 times between (end of season) 2006 and 2003. Alot of it has to do with the ride hitting all the crest and valleys between and over bents. The slower the train goes, the rougher the ride. The faster the train goes, the smoother it is. Hurler normally takes 60 seconds to complete the run, however I seen it be as fast as 53, and as slow as 69. Those few seconds itself, make or break the ride in terms of smoothness. If you notice, newer wooden coasters do bobble up and down on their way to lift whereas older coaster bobble up and down even after being retracked. Carowinds has also been known to very rarely replace the entire stack of wood that forms the rails(if ever). That could explain why retracking does not help Hurler. Wood relaxes over time, creating dips between supports depending on which side(skinny or wide) is placed down. If you have ever bent wood, you know it is easier to bent the skinny side. I am sure someone else can give a better job of telling ya'll about it than I did.

In this video, if you look close you can see the cars bobbling up and down leaving the station and going up the lift. Also, the squeling you hear is because the ride had not been greased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDbVlwSkag...feature=related

It is more apparent in the Thunder Road video, even the Carowinds OddCoaster has the same problem.

Rollernut offered up the idea that even if Hurler was re-tracked it wouldn't make much of a difference, is the structural design really that bad on this coaster? I have not ridden it!

Hurler is currently my #6 in wood. The design is fabulous as far as I'm concerned.

I will admit, I did ride Hurler toward the beginning of the season and it was cool, but sunny. I can't believe that it would ride that much rougher in the hot sun of the summer (comparing it to the roughness of other wooden coasters during said times). Besides, does it have to be perfect? Have we really gotten that nit-picky that we can't take a few bumps on a wooden coaster? I'll blame this on the steel coasters and trim brakes...something else that Hurler doesn't have AND doesn't need.

Um, pardon me. I like 'em violent. I adore The Coney Island Cyclone, The Georgia Cyclone, Tremors, J2 aka Puma aka Hellcat aka whatever the heck it is this week and Rolling Thunder. There is violent and there is unnecessary roughness. Hurlers, both of them, are unnecessarily rough. They didn't used to be. With some TLC and vigilance, they can be again.

And yet I heard the first drop trim (a la Mean Streak) ruined the ride?!?

Oh goodie. Another coaster ruined with a trim brake. I'll add that to my now extensive list.

Um, pardon me. I like 'em violent. I adore The Coney Island Cyclone, The Georgia Cyclone, Tremors, J2 aka Puma aka Hellcat aka whatever the heck it is this week and Rolling Thunder. There is violent and there is unnecessary roughness. Hurlers, both of them, are unnecessarily rough. They didn't used to be. With some TLC and vigilance, they can be again.

I agree with you that TLC on a wooden coaster is a major need to keep them smooth. I also agree that coasters need to be maintained well so that they are as smooth track-wise as they can be. Apparently I'm just easy to please because I expect some roughness on a wooden coaster whether it is the violent type or the rough type. I just don't care as long as it's fun, which trims take away from...ergo the trim-hater attitude. Sorry if you took that any other way, and it was not a personal slam. Rather it was a question for all to ponder.