Coastermania 2009

^ A Platinum Pass is definitely a great value if you travel between parks. Having Cedar Point (and particularly, that early ride time!) and Kings Island close by certainly helps.

Relating to Coastermania, getting in free with the PP is cool. I question, however, why they're having the event on a Saturday. I know that this event is more about the ERT, the Q & A and lunch session, etc., but wow, I'd hate to see the crowds that day! I bought a GOCC membership specifically for this event, but I'm probably going to skip out on this event due to it being held on Saturday.

For those of you thinking of going, did the decision to hold it on Saturday encourage or discourage you to go?

^ A Platinum Pass is definitely a great value if you travel between parks. Having Cedar Point (and particularly, that early ride time!) and Kings Island close by certainly helps.

Relating to Coastermania, getting in free with the PP is cool. I question, however, why they're having the event on a Saturday. I know that this event is more about the ERT, the Q & A and lunch session, etc., but wow, I'd hate to see the crowds that day! I bought a GOCC membership specifically for this event, but I'm probably going to skip out on this event due to it being held on Saturday.

For those of you thinking of going, did the decision to hold it on Saturday encourage or discourage you to go?

In Early June, Cedar Point is really not that crowded, even on a Saturday.

I attended CoasterMania back in 2007, with my Cedar Fair Maxx Pass. The event is certainly a fun event. And who can go wrong with 7am rides on Millennium Force? Yes, it was a Saturday, but lines were really not that bad. The longest line was for Maverick, and that was only an hour. Most rides were near walk on. Millennium Force`s line got to about thirty minutes in mid afternoon, but still not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I would HIGHLY recommend the event to those who haven`t gone to it in the past.

Ohh.My.God.

Free for Platinum Passholders? THANK GOD I convinced my mom to renew my Platinum Pass!

Vote for ERT? Yes, I'd like Some Raptor, Maverick, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster, not to mention a little maXair and Skyhawk!

Plus the Skill Challenges, Golf Contest, and all the others?

I MUST GO!!!!!

You do not have to be a member of ACE, but you do have to belong to an accredited coaster club (one you pay dues to that issues you a membership card). There are many, from Great Ohio Coaster Club to MidAtlantic Coaster Club to Western New York Coaster Club and on and on...I believe Cedar Fair unitholders are also invited.

I am niether a friend or a foe of Trim Brakes, on some rides where it is necessary (Vortex MCBS) then I do not have a problem with it.

But in Mean Streaks case it is kinda rediculous. But it does serve a purpouse, if it went any faster you'd come back to the station holding your spine in pieces!

That's not altogether true. We've already discussed other coasters (in another thread) that run smoother when they run faster...Hurler. This is true on The Beast as well from the area of the train I ride in, at least as of late. Faster rides fly over the bumps rather than running into them. I've ridden The Beast enough to be qualified to say that whether anyone agrees or not.

But...in the case of Mean Streak, it might be a little bumpier, but I bet it would be a whole lot more fun. One thing that I like to point out is this. If you have a ride that is rough, and trim it, what's left? A bumpy ride alone. If left untrimmed, you have a perhaps slightly bumpier ride that has a whole lot of fast and furious fun involved too. That's just my opinion, but if no one else wants to ride Mean Streak without the brakes, they can go ride another feature during that ERT session and ride Meanie when he's trimmed to a crawl during the regular day.

Also, you may be forgetting about the supposed re-tracking of Mean Streak. As another point, perhaps some new trains that don't shuffle would completely change the ride experience. Some of us are hoping for that in the future too.

Ultimate point: If you can't stand the bumps, get off the roller coaster. (Couldn't resist.)

This is of course spoken from someone who is the ultimate enemy of trims and mid-courses. If you don't agree, that's your privelege. It probably will do you well to be as you are. It gets depressing after a while when you see so much potential ripped from coasters. ...poor High Roller

And poor Excalibur, too....

Yikes. How did I miss that opportunity? I almost begged them to turn off the brakes on it for ERT at Coaster Craze last year, but all I got was "they're always on...we never turn them off...ever...the maintenance guys make more than you have to bribe them with...etc." Oh, fun times!

I should mention the mid-course on Wild Thing while we're at it. Even with that, it's still my current #1 in steel - somehow - (second hill). There are very good odds that Diamondback will steel that with no problem, but that depends on the you-know-whats in the you-know-where.

I probably just feel sorriest for High Roller because it was built without trims and therefore is not able to give the riders nearly the awesome ride that it could. I had several frequent Valleyfair! attenders that mentioned just how much airtime the ride had prior to being trimmed. A time machine would be appreciated. Anyone have one handy?