What would you like changed to KI in the next five years?

Guest TombraiderTy
I think Kings Island needs a larger Ecology (Custodial) staff. I was recently talking to a friend of mine who was a manager in Ecology at Kings Island about typical staffing per area and comparing that to what I learned at Disney is astounding. There are almost 5 times as many "custodial hosts" at the Magic Kingdom as there are at Kings Island, and MK is about 2/3 the size of KI (and that's only pan and broom cast members). And the thing is, it totally shows.

Thanks for the GREAT comment, DeLorean Rider. I'm a large fan of Walt Disney and agree with many of his beliefs and opinions. The first quote of his you posted is actually one of my favorite ones of his.

On a trip to Disney in 2006, it took just over a minute for a custodial staff member to collect a piece of paper I dropped in the central hub of the Magic Kingdom. Longer than I would've guessed, but still impressive. I love how clean the parks are, it's one of my favorite things about them. Don Helbig actually made a comment about Kings Island's cleanliness at KIC's Offseason Blues Party. He said Kings Island overall goal in that area of park operations was to make Kings Island the CLEANEST amusement park in the world. I hope that this can be achieved- seeing a piece of trash on the ground can lower a person's mood dramatically.

The park will only be as nice as the customers let it be.

You can't walk 20 feet at KI without seeing a trash can.

The amount of people that will still throw trash on the ground, leave food, trays and trash on the tables when they are done eating, or drop something, and then pretend that they didn't do it is astounding.

I really don't hold KI responsible for these kind of people.

The worst part is, alot of the people that do it, feel like it's not wrong to do so.

the world owes them something....LOL

But, there is nothing worse than having a tray full of food, and wondering around trying to find a clean place to eat.

Ferris Wheel/Giant Wheel addition.

Coney Mall and Oktoberfest to gain their nostalgia back.

Festhaus and Wings makeover.

New flats, especially on the Flight Commander pile of concrete.

Widening of X-Base and the addition of a restroom in that area to handle to crowds.

Rethemeing of the Crypt. Instead of metal building the ride.

Paint Flight Deck.

Windex the giant mirror inside the Flight of Fear building.

The giant mirror in the UFO hangar, to make it look like a full room when its only half a room

Well thanks for ruining it for me... :P

I would have to agree with your first comment....

A FERRIS WHEEL!

I'd like to see one of those, a paint job for Flight Deck and for the park to keep up the emphasis on landscaping that they did a good job with last season.

The problem with having people respect the park is that it has to be a total committment to keeping every aspect of the park clean in look and feel. Believe me I understand that Kings Island does not have the resources that Disney does. As soon as an area is "clear" at the end of the night, the trucks come out and everything gets pressure washed, things get painted, things get restored. It's not just cleanliness it's things like asphalt vs concrete, it's new paint, it's fresh plants, clean ponds, clear windows, groomed grass and plants, smiling employees and fitting music. It's almost as though a park doesnt need to look clean, it needs to feel clean. It's like how you can walk into someones dining room and be unsure about even sitting down where you could walk into their family room and have no problem with lounging on their couch.

I do however think that Cedar Fair has made great strides in the last few years in the over all look and feel of the park and I hope they continue the trend.

The problem with having people respect the park is that it has to be a total committment to keeping every aspect of the park clean in look and feel. Believe me I understand that Kings Island does not have the resources that Disney does. As soon as an area is "clear" at the end of the night, the trucks come out and everything gets pressure washed, things get painted, things get restored. It's not just cleanliness it's things like asphalt vs concrete, it's new paint, it's fresh plants, clean ponds, clear windows, groomed grass and plants, smiling employees and fitting music. It's almost as though a park doesnt need to look clean, it needs to feel clean. It's like how you can walk into someones dining room and be unsure about even sitting down where you could walk into their family room and have no problem with lounging on their couch.

I do however think that Cedar Fair has made great strides in the last few years in the over all look and feel of the park and I hope they continue the trend.

One of the "little" things I really like about Ki is the brick paver walkways.

It is common, cheaper, and easier to just slap down asphault, but the pavers give it a great feel.

Little attention to details like that help make for a more enjoyable experience.

It's not just cleanliness it's things like asphalt vs concrete, it's new paint, it's fresh plants, clean ponds, clear windows, groomed grass and plants, smiling employees and fitting music. It's almost as though a park doesnt need to look clean, it needs to feel clean.

I absolutely agree with this statement. You sum up that clean feeling perfectly!

One thing people have overlooked is that the price point and attractiveness of Kings Island can bring a much different crowd than what the Disney parks are privileged to! Cheap tickets can be bought online for a one day or two day adventure at Kings Island, however except for off-peak times Disney is able to employ a Premium pricing plan. This has great influence on the makeup of people coming through your gates! A greater portion of a person is invested in the experience at a Disney park by way of their checkbook than at any other park. Anyone willing to make that investment is more apt to respect the park and keep it clean!

That said, since Cedar Fair took over, Kings Island has become a much cleaner park than it had been under Paramount/CBS. Everyday I walk through the gates, I am reminded of how lucky we are to have a park like Kings Island so close to us!

. I love how clean the parks are, it's one of my favorite things about them. Don Helbig actually made a comment about Kings Island's cleanliness at KIC's Offseason Blues Party. He said Kings Island overall goal in that area of park operations was to make Kings Island the CLEANEST amusement park in the world. I hope that this can be achieved- seeing a piece of trash on the ground can lower a person's mood dramatically.

Other reports here said it was Nick Licastro who said that...and even set that as a goal in light of Holiday World having won that award in the Golden Tickets for years on end....

It's not just cleanliness it's things like asphalt vs concrete, it's new paint, it's fresh plants, clean ponds, clear windows, groomed grass and plants, smiling employees and fitting music. It's almost as though a park doesnt need to look clean, it needs to feel clean.

I absolutely agree with this statement. You sum up that clean feeling perfectly!

One thing people have overlooked is that the price point and attractiveness of Kings Island can bring a much different crowd than what the Disney parks are privileged to! Cheap tickets can be bought online for a one day or two day adventure at Kings Island, however except for off-peak times Disney is able to employ a Premium pricing plan. This has great influence on the makeup of people coming through your gates! A greater portion of a person is invested in the experience at a Disney park by way of their checkbook than at any other park. Anyone willing to make that investment is more apt to respect the park and keep it clean!

That said, since Cedar Fair took over, Kings Island has become a much cleaner park than it had been under Paramount/CBS. Everyday I walk through the gates, I am reminded of how lucky we are to have a park like Kings Island so close to us!

couldnt have said it any better! I agree completely with this

Well what i would like to see changed is 3 things.

1.Have better upkeep with the theming on some of the rides.

2.See some more of the old shops that used to be on International Street come back like antiques perhaps or some craft shops.

3.See the trims taken off of The Beast.

I know some of these are a little far-fetched but you get the idea.

Everyday I walk through the gates, I am reminded of how lucky we are to have a park like Kings Island so close to us!

I definitely agree with this. Even amongst the regional theme parks within the US Kings Island is still one of the highest quality and for many of us, to be able to get there in less than 30 minutes is pretty great. I think it often gets taken for granted; just think we all could live right next to Six Flags America...

Part of the image problem of the cleanliness can probably be blamed on the guests at the park as you guys have stated. I've been to Disney World 3 times as a guest and I don't recall anyone leaving a table full of food. At Kings Island I see people all the time leave food all over their table, deface the tables in every way imaginable from carving names, to using markers, to writing in condiments, it's simply ridiculous.

As for the food angle, I love when the park incorporates new food. Many people want a sit down restaurant but I'm not sure how successful it would really be in Kings Island. There were talks in the past about having one but food staffing is horrendous as it is, a sit down restaurant would require more staff that in the past we wouldn't have. This year will be interesting in terms of staffing due to the economy and the difficulty finding jobs, there's a chance we'll be better staffed and have the staffing for that restaurant. If the park were to add one, I think it would have the most success adding it in BB for two reasons: a) it'd be summer staffing only, when we should have adequate staff for it. b ) the amount of guests in the waterpark is small enough that it would allow for a comfortable dine-in experience, and offer another restaurant to choose instead of Outback Shack (yeah Subway's out there but that doesn't really do well when it's open).

There's a bunch of little things I'd like to see improved in the park but I don't have much thought or ideas for it to add to the discussion so I'll save it for another time.

Well it would be nice to see the park at a new area called 'Lost Coney'. Bring back some old rides like the rotor, eagles, whip, tumble bug and such. Get a new family area to add with the kid area. I know you read that some of these rides are no longer available but I think with a little work, they could be brought back. It would be a mid level ride area for families to enjoy together.

Well here is what I would like to see happen.

-A more open feeling main entrance

-A new slide in BB

-Attempt to make the Crypt an actual themed ride

-A few new family rides

-Make X-Base an actual section of the park; with RR a shop and a themed area

-I think it would be neat if they had the Season Pass entrance open back up, mainly beacuse it could help by not making the main entry soo crowded

-Use both sides of the FX Theatre, with two different shows

-Top Gun recieve some TLC

-Some different types of sit down eating places, like family places and like friend hangout places

-Bring back the Antique Cars.....they were way better then that piece of metal that currently resides there

Edit: I would also love to see KI's website get redisigned like CP's. It needs videos, pictures, and just more info!

These are just my dreams, because I know most of them will not be happening.

Ok guys, hate to break it to you, but the fog is not coming back to Flight Deck.

How do I know? Open your eyes next time you are down on that ride...

Just because the machines may not be there any more doesn't mean it's gone. Fog machines cost what, a hundred bucks a piece? Maybe more for a high quality one? And they have PLENTY during Haunt (I actually had breathing problems and had to get medical attention on the last day of Haunt, the fog was so thick in Coney Mall), they can just relocate a few for permanent use.

Judging by the answer I got from Don Helbig when I asked a direct question about theming (and I mentioned Flight Deck's fog by name along with BLSC's fog and water effects), I'd say it's not out of the question whatsoever. He said things like that are on their list of 'to do' but not a top priority.

The "fog" at Flight Deck, then known as TopGun, was not theatrical fog produced by fog machines. As said earlier, it came from dry ice.

I missed that one. My bad. Either way, they can make it happen again. Cedar Point's got enough fog going on with Iron Dragon they could just ship the extra down here. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/violakat03/27...57606495592725/