What would you like changed to KI in the next five years?

Cedar Fair will not be using Peanuts for theming at the legacy Paramount Parks unless and until they pay for the licensing. And did you think the Flying Eagles were stupid, too? If so, at least now we know who to blame! Makes far more sense than the real story that Tim Fisher wanted to take them with him to Carowinds when he became General Manager there, now doesn't it?

After having the joy of riding the Strickers Grove eagles, the first time I've actually ridden one of those that I can remember, if someone says to me the Eagles are stupid and should be removed I would have quite a mouthful to say to them.

Jackson, who would rather be snapping tubs, not shooting hoops.....

Oh goodness, the ones at Stricker's Grove are absolutely nothing compared to the former eagles at KI. I can remember many an evening after work when I would go up to Kings Island for a few hours and ride nothing but the eagles.

And you were hardly the only one. I can remember many trips to Kings Island when I rode only the Flying Eagles. And more than one season when I ended my Kings Island season on Flying Eagles, with tears of joy and sadness streaming down my face simultaneously.

Sounds like you need to take a trip down to Carowinds.

In my opinion, they are slightly slower than when they left Kings Island. Then again, the last year they were at Kings Island, they had already slowed down a bit...not much, but a bit. That being said, they are still better than almost every other set in the USA. Some think Knoebel's are better. I am not among that crowd.

I've heard about that ride (Flying Eagles), is it like the one that's at Holiday World (next to Revolution)? If so, it's not stupid, more of a family ride, but still fun. I mostly enjoyed it at HW b/c this kid in front of my car was screaming profanities and trying to tell me a story the entire time. If it were me, I'd buy back the one at Carowinds and put it back where that 3-Point Shooter game is now (which gets annoying after awhile when they play "Everybody Dance Now" everytime you walk by).

About the comments earlier on other rides: it makes little sense to me to have a ride that can be enjoyed just as well at a fair grounds or an indoor mall (ferris wheels excluded).

Carowinds, like Kings Island, is a Cedar Fair park. Danny's Phantom Flyers are not for sale.

And the Eagles at Holiday World are perhaps the very worst set of Flying Scooters I have ever ridden. Saying they are like the Flying Eagles is about the same as saying Little Bill's coaster at Kings Island is like Millennium Force...both are steel, both have lifthills, both go up and down hills, both rely on gravity and the general concept is pretty much the same. Other than that, the differences far outweigh the similarities.

• 6 years later...

We've had quite a few threads like this, but I suppose it's time for another:

More than anything else, I think Kings Island needs a sit down tablecloth table service restaurant, more food choices, higher food quality and to treat its employees in a more Disney-like fashion. If you treat your people well, THEY will treat your customers well. I fear the current economic situation may make all this rather unlikely, as Cedar Fair will be able to select employees from a legion of applicants, and treat them however it wishes, knowing full well that literally dozens of applicants await every opening. Same for the restaurants, though for the most part not implementing these

suggested changes may lead to more and reductions in per capita spending that Cedar Fair is relying on to help it reduce its debt levels.

I honestly believe that better food service and selection and treating employees well are the two major priorities that Cedar Fair could better address than it has so far.

If anything, even MORE true now than it was then.

Progress? Nope. Quite the opposite.

I saw these as the most crying needs at Kings Island then. I say so even more so now.

Comments?

• Like 10

Get rid of the blacktop, it's hot and actually have caught my flip flop sticking to it a time or two. Good set of Quicksilver's arent cheap man.

Also, the Tower Garden section looks like junk. There's one portion that's a smoke area and that's fine, but the rest just seems to collect leaves of yesteryear. Speaking of, the Eiffel Tower is starting to look like junk. With all the painting projects up north Tony is showing us, why can't they bring Baynum down for the tower or other rides that need it? 

• Like 3

I would like to see the Eiffel Tower repainted,  more tree's/greenery and flowers around the tower also.  Its just so empty when you compare it to its sister at Kings Dominion which looks fabulous!  Bring back the Antique Car ride and Skyride also.  Move the flag pools that are in front of the fountains to somewhere else,  it is in the way of a perfect picture of the fountains, and the Eiffel Tower.  I understand that they probably won't bring back the Coney Mall sign,  but maybe call it something else and put a new sign up?  Maybe call it Kings Mall?  :)

• Like 5

-Racer TLC (remove chipping lead paint, restore red white and blue color scheme, new wood track)

-Eiffel Tower repaint.

-Grand Carousel touch up, especially some paint on our beloved Wurlitzer 157.

-Re Internationalization of International Street, not really all out like the World Showcase at EPCOT, but something like Holiday World where it's just tiny things, but theming is still being acknowledged.

-Animatronics on the train.

-Bluegrass music as background track for White Water Canyon.

• Like 4

Here are some thoughts I had about the general atmosphere when you first arrive at the park...

The entire entrance for Kings Island needs a major renovation/update.  I won’t apologize in saying that it is very nice to have the tradition of International Restaurant; however, the roofline on the parking lot side leaves a lot to be desired.  Yes, they have the gigantic posters, but they are very static and lack a modern WOW and pizazz that a park of Kings Island’s caliber should have.  I would highly suggest the financial expenditure of installations of large (think Times Square) screens that provide dynamic content.  This would be extremely beneficial in showing visitors they are about to enter an EXCITING and MODERN park and remove the dated feel of the entrance that is currently in place.   For example, the excitement of the haunted house built in front of the entrance during Halloween Haunt, along with the interactive “voice” welcoming guests to the experience created for much more excitement.  There is much hoopla over the park opening every morning, imagine if it were broadcast on the Jumbotrons for people to see as the park opens?  Guests arriving later in the day could be greeted with live feeds from inside the park?  Massive versions of Fun TV overhead as you enter the park.  It could be an awesome thing to see.

Once you are in the park, if you happen to look back toward the International Restaurant at night, you see stark spotlights and oftentimes the lights are on in the restaurant; showing the place is empty, dated, and generally used as storage space.  Why not utilize the Executive Chef the park has and provide an opportunity for more upscale dining options and actually open the place up to business on a regular basis?  I do not know if I would indulge on every trip, but having the option of a sit down dining experience overlooking the fountains and Eifel Tower sounds like a fantastic option.  It is discouraging to spend the money on a season pass or a daily ticket, enjoy your day on quality rides and engaging in quality attractions then to walk out of the park and be blinded by stark spot lights and to see the lights on inside the restaurant and see the tables stacked up with what looks to be boxes of extra merchandise.

As for “International Street” itself…this area is woefully in neglect.  It is coming back around, but it is missing a lot of what could make for a stellar experience.  The music has been beaten to death, but it simply does not work to help sweep people away from the doldrums of reality and into a wonderland of amusement and merriment by playing the same tunes they were listening to in the car on their way to the park that morning.  I remember fondly as a child, the classic music – trumpet flourishes and tympani beats welcoming me to my day at the park.  Knowing what I do now, I know the fountains were not timed with the music, but as a child – the magic seemed to pull the elements of the music and put them on visual display with the fountains.  At night, the lighting is very lackluster in this area.  I believe Kings Island could take a lesson from the Cedar Fair flagship park, Cedar Point, and invest in some vibrant pathway lighting…gobo lights to create patterns on the sidewalk and walkways. 

I know the park is not hugely themed, but it is in neglect of magic and splendor at the front gate.  Adding ambient excitement there would go a long way toward building the experience for the guests throughout the entire park. 

• Like 13

^  

I may be alone here, but I go to Kings Island to get away from screens.  "Times Square-sized Jumbotrons" and other television style screens greeting my entrance to the park would be a turnoff the likes of which I cannot possibly put into words.  

I'm not saying the entrance couldn't be improved, but I think massive TV screens flashing "exciting" content are a horrible idea.  Just awful.  There's already a bunch of tv's all above the turn-styles letting us know which lanes are open.  That I can handle.  They aren't the most attractive thing, but at least they aren't blasting nonsense at me when I first walk in.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a sit-down dining experience overlooking the fountains.  Personally, I'd love to see this actually take place outside right next to the fountains...ala a San Antonio Riverwalk experience or something.  Probably asking too much there, though.

• Like 5

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a sit-down dining experience overlooking the fountains.  Personally, I'd love to see this actually take place outside right next to the fountains...ala a San Antonio Riverwalk experience or something.  Probably asking too much there, though.

I love Kings Island and am so thankful to have such a nice park so close, but part of the problem (at least to me) is the park really could use some additional high end services.  I would think that the International Restraunt would have a beautiful view of the fountains and the Eifel Tower, some much needed air conditioning during the summertime and heat during the early/late season, and perhaps a level of reduced ambient noise bombarding your senses.  Again, not something I would do every trip to the park, but to have the option of a higher quality meal (steak, seafood, pasta), adult beverage options, and table seating would be quite refreshing.  I could even understand this not being part of any dining plan.  Furthermore, there are some of us who have looked up at that elusive space, who would dine there - if only to have access to the mysterious world of the International Restraunt at Kings Island.  

• Like 6