What would you like changed to KI in the next five years?

I'd like to see some more themed buildings in Rivertown. As is it feels like a bunch of disconnected buildings. With the layout being what it is, I don't know where they'd go, but I'd love to see some. I could imagine revamping the TR:TR location into something like Frontier Trail at CP, including a saloon. I'd especially love a show like Totally Live! from CP to perform there.

Also a new dark ride in place of Boo Blasters (though not a Peanuts dark ride like many others want; I'd much prefer an original story).

• Like 4

I'd like to see themes match the designated lands and rides more. It doesn't really flow well. Like I can't tell where Action Zone ends and Oktoberfest begins. I get that KI isn't really a vacation destination set for many families like Disney or Universal, but why couldn't it be? I don't expect Disney quality, but I expect stuff like making sure the rides have a fresh coat of paint when the new season begins and for locations to not just sit empty for years and years, for example, the old TR building. Quality of the attractions that have been there for decades should not be sacrificed just because they're building a new coaster. I think keeping consistent upkeep on themes and attractions could really make Kings Island stand out as a theme park, and make it a destination for more families. 

• Like 2

Yeah, KatieF, my son was asking me what the deal was with the old Tomb Raider building. That and last year, he wanted to know what the Son of Beast station was. They need to clean up more of those kinds of things or use them for other attractions. Especially seems like those two locations could be used. Why not a thrill ride in the old TR building? Or a coaster that uses the SOB station?

• Like 2

On 6/9/2017 at 2:20 PM, KIBeast said:

Yeah, KatieF, my son was asking me what the deal was with the old Tomb Raider building. That and last year, he wanted to know what the Son of Beast station was. They need to clean up more of those kinds of things or use them for other attractions. Especially seems like those two locations could be used. Why not a thrill ride in the old TR building? Or a coaster that uses the SOB station?

They are used for haunt attractions. Cheaper and takes up less space than building more steel buildings.

22 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'd like to see them open up the Freestyle location by the train. I mentioned this before, but not on this topic. 

As far as new rides go, I would love to see Kings Island eventually add a B&M Floorless. 

The Freestyle location by the train was open yesterday. 

• Like 1

I fully understand the "keeping haunt buildings around all season" logic but I think a very minor improvement could be to make them less generic and empty-looking in the offseason. The easiest example I can think of would be a paintjob on Slaughterhouse that's similar to MT's lumber company shed but named something like  "Losantiville meat and poultry" or something like that. It'd be a little bit f "theming" for The Beast's queue but also still hold up as Slaughterhouse for haunt. Someone with more creativity may be needed to suggest something for SOB/Wolfpack...

• Like 2

On 6/15/2017 at 10:08 PM, TheRickster said:

They are used for haunt attractions. Cheaper and takes up less space than building more steel buildings.

Maybe I should have been more clear of what I was getting at. I understand that they are used for haunt attractions. In my opinion, I would like to have seen a ride go in either location as I feel that they would be better used for a ride as opposed to a haunt attraction. Again, just what I would like to see happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to see some old ride locations reused like the former flight commander location and the Tomb raider site. And maybe something of at the old SOB site. Like a RMC reusing the old SOB station. You could fit a nice size coaster in that spot even with Banshee and The Bat over there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 11:26 AM, SonODiamondback said:

I like to see some old ride locations reused like the former flight commander location and the Tomb raider site. And maybe something of at the old SOB site. Like a RMC reusing the old SOB station. You could fit a nice size coaster in that spot even with Banshee and The Bat over there.

There does not seem to be much room between The Bat and Banshee to have a train and track go through there. I think they would have to get creative with how the layout would work to get to the land behind them.

• Like 1

Yeah, immediately out of SOB's station is the later half of Banshee and with it being up so high, it'll be awkward to maneuver around.  Plus the coaster in question has to have momentum and track to reach the station again with a proper brake run and train storage, possibly a reconfiguration of the queue (at least, I would change it up), and that's at minimum 2 pass-throughs of Banshee's layout plus accommodating infrastructure.  If any coaster is going back there, it should start in or towards the X-Base side of the area, not SOB's station IMO.  

The area on the other side of the SOB station (towards Blackout and GWA) is certainly not the best area to add in coaster track either.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, SonODiamondback said:

It seems just wild to me that Flight Commander has been gone for so long, and nothing has been changed about it's area. The pad is still there, the station is still there. I know at one point they used it for an upcharge attraction with trampolines and bungee cords, but other than that, nothing. I've seen some pics from people that have managed to sneak around to the old turn style area and it's all still there. Maybe the park doesn't feel that the real estate is valuable and doesn't care? Maybe there are plans? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

It seems just wild to me that Flight Commander has been gone for so long, and nothing has been changed about it's area. The pad is still there, the station is still there. I know at one point they used it for an upcharge attraction with trampolines and bungee cords, but other than that, nothing. I've seen some pics from people that have managed to sneak around to the old turn style area and it's all still there. Maybe the park doesn't feel that the real estate is valuable and doesn't care? Maybe there are plans? 

Just not a lot to fit there... and unfortunately typical flat rides aren't going to bring crowds in or support the capacity a park this size needs. The flight commander pad is pretty small and likely wouldn't support a ride of the size we would need. Then they also filled in the stairways going from the queue to the ride so it might not even be able to act as a stable foundation for much of a bigger ride. Most rides require a foundation to be built for the purpose of the ride itsself.

That's not to say they couldn't level it and go from there. But if we do get a smaller flat, it will need to be part of a few flats being added and an area renovation/expansion which would cost a lot more there than what we see them normally do with HBL/NU/PS. I do also think the park is in the decade where they need to make the call to expand on the otherside of The Racer more or not. There really isn't much space left in the current park without losing some attractions.

5 hours ago, TheRickster said:

Just not a lot to fit there... and unfortunately typical flat rides aren't going to bring crowds in or support the capacity a park this size needs. The flight commander pad is pretty small and likely wouldn't support a ride of the size we would need. Then they also filled in the stairways going from the queue to the ride so it might not even be able to act as a stable foundation for much of a bigger ride. Most rides require a foundation to be built for the purpose of the ride itsself.

That's not to say they couldn't level it and go from there. But if we do get a smaller flat, it will need to be part of a few flats being added and an area renovation/expansion which would cost a lot more there than what we see them normally do with HBL/NU/PS. I do also think the park is in the decade where they need to make the call to expand on the otherside of The Racer more or not. There really isn't much space left in the current park without losing some attractions.

I for the longest time thought they used that area for Wind Seeker, but quickly realized that wasn't it at all. 

As far as expanding that area of the park, there "is room" back by xbase to do something, but it would end up requiring them moving their barns that are back there, which would kind of end up a win win since it would change the landscaping of the area behind The Racer if they moved those back into the trees out of sight of the rides. I think though that I follow the popular opinion of the idea of Coney Mall being made back into an early carnival feel, with flats along both sides, and the games down the center again. No they aren't exciting rides per se, but they are for sure an attraction, and a piece of nostalgia that I think a lot of people look for at theme parks. With the small parks that still had this nostalgic feel closing left and right, I think there would be a large draw in including that kind of area into the park. I'm in Indianapolis, and I often feel concern for the life span of Indiana Beach. Holliday World has established itself well enough that I think they may have a run yet, so they aren't on my radar of older smaller parks that may die. 

What I would love to see in the old Tomb Raider building is a spinning roller-coaster like the one installed at HersheyPark not too long ago. It could probably work with the space in the building and it would be a great fit if they could tie the theme into Mystic Timbers somehow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

^ I highly doubt they would install the one in the lower right of the video thumbnail in the old Flight Commander spot. I could see the GP thinking that FC was back. 

On heck no. That would be the last ride I'd expect the park to get. I'd rather have a Top Scan type ride like Shockwave to go there

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of this for a bit since the regular operating season is over

1. A giga (duh)
  2. The return of the antique cars
  3. Some newer flats
  4. X-Base expansion
  5. Something done with The Bat que (personal preference)
  6. A new dark ride, hopefully in the form of a coaster (refer to my post above)
  7. The space surrounding BLSC utilized 
  8. TLC to Racer

I know not every thing I listed would happen but I think doing at least 3 of those things would benefit the park.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This just hit me, I would really like to see the park have least 3 coasters over 200ft in the distant future- Diamondback, a giga, and hopefully a dive machine. With Cedar Point currently having 6 coasters over 200ft, I think the chain will be more comfortable allowing higher coasters at their other parks, especially with competition with other parks from different chains.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2017 at 3:51 PM, Maverick44 said:

How about trying to make Vortex smooth again??? Adding Phantom 2 in the crypt building would be a dream come true! I miss that ol scary guy!

Maybe we could start a campaign and our tagline could be "Make Vortex Smooth Again."  We could get hats, T-Shirts and everything! B)

• Like 4