top-thrill dragster

so i went to Cedar Fair during the fall ... good stuff rode almost every coaster.

So my question is ... when i went to top-thrill the last few seats where kept empty. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this ... few mins after i got off the ride i saw them re filled.

It was my second ride of the day so it was still kinda early

so i went to Cedar Fair during the fall ... good stuff rode almost every coaster.

So my question is ... when i went to top-thrill the last few seats where kept empty. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this ... few mins after i got off the ride i saw them re filled.

It was my second ride of the day so it was still kinda early

I believe you mean Cedar Point. I've seen them do this before too. I've also seen them close cars on certain coasters. In my own opinion, it's just to keep the lines longer so that the coasters aren't just walk-ons. I should also mention that it is among my top annoyances of that particular park, and I haven't seen that practice at any other yet...thank goodness.

Do you remember what the weather was like?

fall like ... no weather stuff ... let me look up the date real fast ...

Sunday October 28th

TEMPERATURE MINIMUM

TEMPERATURE

38.8°F

Minimum temperature

reported during the day.

MEAN

TEMPERATURE

41.5°F

Mean temperature

for the day.

MAXIMUM

TEMPERATURE

46.4°F

Maximum temperature

reported during the day

My friend told me the other day that they were going to move TTD to Kings Island. Is this true at all? Did Don talk about that today at the KIC event?

top-thirll dragster == TTD right?

if so ...

doubtful like very very very doubtful ....

the closest to the truth on that would be we get something like TTD but i think they might hold off for a bit after DB

((i still doubt anything of the sort would happen ... new ride or ride transplant))

They do this so the ride opts don't have to buckle every empty seat.

But they usually continue to operate in this fashion until the line gets at least 5 minutes long, leading to a very annoyed dare-to-fly. Installation of retractable seatbelts or removal of the belts altogether (I know...don't even say it) would fix this problem.

PS. What's their excuse on Corkscrew?

On Top Thrill Dragster, the last few rows are not filled when it is cold or windy, to make sure the train does make it over the hill. As the ride warms up, they continue to fill additional rows until they're running full trains.

On other rides, there a number of factors as to why certain rows are left empty. It's usually at the beginning of the day, and usually when it's cold or windy. It's certainly not to make the lines longer on purpose for those waiting to ride.

On Top Thrill Dragster, the last few rows are not filled when it is cold or windy, to make sure the train does make it over the hill. As the ride warms up, they continue to fill additional rows until they're running full trains.

On other rides, there a number of factors as to why certain rows are left empty. It's usually at the beginning of the day, and usually when it's cold or windy. It's certainly not to make the lines longer on purpose for those waiting to ride.

kinda silly question ... whats the cold have to do with anything?

Guest rcfreak339

kinda silly question ... whats the cold have to do with anything?

The cold cause the wheel to become stiff but after about 5 runs it should be warmed up and ready to go.

lol sorry had to join in on it......

Well of course you did! Or that's what you would like us to believe. ;)

lol i honestly hate that stupid rumor also.....but everyone always beats me to it when it has its perfect time in a conversation....i just happened to read at the right time for once....before you know it.....(you will smack me for saying it lol) people will start saying that db is sinking as well due to improper footers being made.....or something like that....i will smack myself it that actually becomes a rumor now :lol:

At the beginning of the day, the lubrication in the wheels isn't yet warmed up, and therefore causes the coaster to run slower. The colder the temp, the colder the grease.

EDIT: You beat me to it.

That policy is still annoying, and at the end of the day on a fairly sunny day...again what's there excuse on Corkscrew?

before you know it.....(you will smack me for saying it lol) people will start saying that db is sinking as well due to improper footers being made.....or something like that....i will smack myself it that actually becomes a rumor now
Now you really did it.

When the track is cold and the wheels are cold it causes the trains to run slower as they reach the crest of the hill. Full trains would be too heavy to make it over, so that's why they only run with limited seats open when the ride first opens in the morning during the cold days near the end of the season. Once the trains run for a while, the wheels and track start to warm up and make it easier for the trains to make it over.

When the track is cold and the wheels are cold it causes the trains to run slower as they reach the crest of the hill. Full trains would be too heavy to make it over, so that's why they only run with limited seats open when the ride first opens in the morning during the cold days near the end of the season. Once the trains run for a while, the wheels and track start to warm up and make it easier for the trains to make it over.

Time for my stupid question.

If you are looking at a day that is high 30's to low 40's for the temps. Why would you be getting on a roller coaster that goes over 100 mph????

I don't like riding the ATV in the fall because I get too cold!!!!

At the beginning of the day, the lubrication in the wheels isn't yet warmed up, and therefore causes the coaster to run slower. The colder the temp, the colder the grease.

EDIT: You beat me to it.

That policy is still annoying, and at the end of the day on a fairly sunny day...again what's there excuse on Corkscrew?

before you know it.....(you will smack me for saying it lol) people will start saying that db is sinking as well due to improper footers being made.....or something like that....i will smack myself it that actually becomes a rumor now
Now you really did it.

lol i know i did :( but we could also just laugh and pretty much know where the rumor started and who started it....and then people will start yelling at me for someone believing it... <_<

If you are looking at a day that is high 30's to low 40's for the temps. Why would you be getting on a roller coaster that goes over 100 mph????

It depends on how coaster crazy you are. I rode the Kentucky Rumbler on New Years Eve. The park opened at 5:00 and was 31 degrees. I was on it until about 12:15 - you decide what the temp would have been, but it had to be in the low 20s.

PS. I rode 30 times even.

It depends on how coaster crazy you are. I rode the Kentucky Rumbler on New Years Eve. The park opened at 5:00 and was 31 degrees. I was on it until about 12:15 - you decide what the temp would have been, but it had to be in the low 20s.

Thats pretty "hard core" I don't think you'd see me doing that.

Thats funny because the other day Diamondback was on the news and they had it were they finished the ride and they said if you rode it that day it would feel like -45Ëš.

This is why I wore layers and layers and layers and layers and layers to CP on closing day. Ask Terpy, he saw me. I was wearing 2 layers of socks, 2 thermal shirts, a hoodie and a pair of gloves. Not to mention there were virtually no lines because of the cold. It was a great day.

(700 posts already?? I just hit 600 posts 2 weeks ago! :o )