Battling the Off Season Blues - The Day in Photos

Gordon Bombay

On Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009 members of the KICentral Universe were invited to participate in KIC's first ever Off Season Blue's Party! Special events included a tour of the Great Wolf Lodge, guest speakers, dinner, an exclusive view of the park during winter rehab and so much more. So for those of you who came and wish to relive the excellent day or for those of you who couldn't make it - I present to you:

Battling the Off Season Blues

KICentral's Off Season Blues Party in photographs

The day started off with the attending members meeting at the Great Wolf Lodge. Our friends at GWL were kind enough to allow members of the KIC Universe to take a tour of the massive and beautiful facility. For those of you who may not remember me, I was the guy with the black jacket taking names by the fireplace and giving everyone those "exclusive, cool KICentral tatoos" on your left hands. As many experienced, the Great Wolf Lodge gets a lot of business in the off season and today was no exception. After getting everyone settled in, the tour began:

winterblues_0001.jpg

Members were given a tour of various rooms, the conference center, the Northern Lights Arcade, Bear Track Landing (the indoor waterpark) and a general look around the massive facility.

winterblues_0002.jpg

This was the first time I had been in the Lodge in a few years and I am glad to see the place doing so much business and adhering to the same Disney-like quality I noticed when they first opened. Our tour guides were great and the tour was something new for our members. I think people really enjoyed it.

As many may have read....due to the winter storm this week, our Diamondback construction tour had to be cancelled. While this certainly put a hinder on our plans, I think everyone still found the event to be a great time. For anyone who was skeptical of not being able to venture into the park to see Diamondback up close, I think the next part of our event put their skepticism to rest...

winterblues_0003.jpg

Since we walked from the lodge over to Kings Island for the next portion of our event, Kings Island cleared us a path in the snow filled parking lot. However, as you can see...after the wind blew around for awhile...snow and ice were still very much present, it would have been very hard to pull off a Diamondback construction tour, but for those of you who attended tonight I believe you may have found that the park is doing something very nice to make up for it! ;)

After regrouping outside of the snow covered K.I. entrance, a stark contrast to the beautifully landscaped gates we normally see in the summer, the KIC group was greeted by Public Relations manager Don Helbig who led the group into the park, up to the International Restaurant.

winterblues_0004.jpg

Once inside the restaurant, KIC members were greeted with a view not many get to often see; a snow covered International Street!

winterblues_0005.jpg

winterblues_0007.jpg

winterblues_0009.jpg

And in the distance...a recently completed Diamondback loomed above the horizon...

winterblues_0006.jpg

winterblues_0008.jpg

In addition to the many familiar faces that I've known for years, met recently at this years "2nd coming" event, and new friends I made today....I was very glad to see SOB_TOM, whom I had not seen in probably about two years. He was kind enough to lend us his sound system and keep some great blues music flowing while KIC members took on the Subway buffet and took in the spectacular view.

winterblues_0013.jpg

For dinner we tried something different from similar past events, Subway sandwiches! I think this was a good choice, as do my room mates who will be enjoying some left overs during tomorrow's Super Bowl.

winterblues_0011.jpg

-This was zosobeasts sandwhich. Bill, thanks for letting me take a picture of it.

winterblues_0010.jpg

In case you missed when he introduced himself, this is Avatar:

winterblues_0012.jpg

I'd like to take a second to personally thank him for volunteering to cut the sandwiches. Avatar has always been a great supporter of the site and our events and really helped us out tonight by helping to cut and serve everything, especially considering he was never asked. Thanks again Avatar! :)

Following dinner, of which there was plenty of 2nd's and 3rd's, the event featured some guest speakers:

winterblues_0014.jpg

First up was Nick Licastro:

winterblues_0015.jpg

Nick came to work at Kings Island after several seasons of working in Park Services at Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio. In his presentation, Mr. Licastro not only spoke about how great a product Boomerang Bay is and how well trained his life guard staff is (anyone who saw that local news piece on his team last summer can attest to their top notch safety training), but also spoke about his departments continuing focus on park cleanliness. I think anyone who has been to the park these past two seasons can really see that the park is constantly improving on cleanliness. I think Mr. Licastro gave a great presentation and has a very obtainable goal in mind...look out Holiday World.

Following Mr. Licastro was KICentral's own CoastersRZ aka Robbie Zerhusen!

winterblues_0016.jpg

Robbie, a seven year veteran of Coney Island's rides department and creator of sister site www.coneyislandcentral.com is currently pursuing his Masters of Architecture from the University of Cincinnati's prestigious DAAP program. Robbie gave a wonderful presentation on the history of how old Coney Island became Kings Island and how the Coney Island of today differs from it's past incarnation and thrives right here in Cincinnati. The presentation featured many exclusive historical photographs and look into history many enjoyed.

Robbie was followed by Kings Island's own Don Helbig, Public Relations Area Manager.

winterblues_0017.jpg

Don spoke about the recently completed track work on Diamondback, what is still to be done, new shows and changes coming to the park this coming season and much more.

After speaking about Diamondback's construction, he was even kind enough to share with us some images of the trains on park property. (click to view)

winterblues_0018.jpg

In case you didn't know it, Don is the man behind the Diamondback blog at www.kiDiamondback.com and also the man who bravely ascended the 230 ft. Diamondback lift hill to take some great photographs that can be seen on the official Diamondback site.

To top off the event....we had Diamondback trivia. Don asked questions about various statistics on the new Diamondback coaster...some were easy...some hard...but many attendees left with a brand new Diamondback poster after successfully answering a trivia question!

winterblues_0019.jpg

Alas, the sun had set and the event drew to a close. I hope everyone had a great time and enjoyed themselves. As many may have noticed, the International Restaurant was re-done this previous summer, in an effort to keep it clean everyone was asked to remove their shoes...

winterblues_0020.jpg

I want to thank everyone for doing that and for helping to keep the IR clean. Many of the people I met for the first time I met when I was going around collecting trash. Thanks to everyone for helping to clear their tables, you all did a great job of following what Mr. Licastro said...helping to keep the park clean. There was only one case where an extreme amount of garbage was just left on the table.

Tonight I saw many familiar faces from past events and from this site and many of you I met for the first time! As I typed this I was trying to think of everyone I met and there was a ton of people, I don't want to leave anyones name out....so to those of you I've met: It was great seeing you guys again, hope to see you again in the future! To those I met for the first time: Glad to put a name to a face and make your acquaintance! (Dare-to-fly can tell you....I'm not that bad of a guy in real life! :D ) To stay connected with the community, I uploaded these photographs to the official KICentral facebook group, feel free to tag yourselves in them if you wish!

Thank you everyone for coming and for making this a successful event and such a wonderful community. Our heartfelt thanks goes out to you, the members and especially for tonight:

-Don Helbig of Kings Island

-Nick Licastro of Kings Island

-Robbie Zerhusen aka CoastersRZ of www.coneyislandcentral.com

-Dane, Ryan and the rest of the staff

-The wonderful staff of the Great Wolf Lodge.

Thanks again everyone and see you this summer!

-Gordon Bombay

Great pictures, and your writing was awesome! I wish my pictures would turn out that great. My really good pictures are usually flukes among a bunch of okay ones.

I'm touched that you mentioned me in your TR...and hoping I didn't leave any negative impressions that allow me to stick out. ;) Hopefully you would tell everyone that I'm not that bad in real life. :)

See you around!

dare-to-fly, no negative impressions at all! I'm very glad to say that everyone I've met from this website, especially tonight, has always been friendly and polite. We have a great community here!

Relief. I can sleep tonight. ;)

Same here, and I was happy to spend the afternoon with everyone at the event talking about the best place in the world.

Ronny – excellent detailed KICentral Winter Blues Event chronological report. Your pictures are always first rate and you have a true knack on taking interesting photos that helps readers have a greater understanding of the story they are reading. The one you took behind Don speaking to the event attendees is one that again shows a great reader understandability but to me looks like a professional picture I would see in a news report. Great work.

I truly enjoyed the speakers as well, Robbie's presentation was probably the most detailed history report that Coney Island has had in decades. He really pays attention to details and it showed, I too would love to see Robbie's report in either a video or in a power point presentation.. As I drove Standbyme and myself back to Indy, I was telling Standbyme that when doing constructions tours; you will learn and understand a lot more if your walking next to Robbie and if your on a behind the scenes tour, Ronny knows some great trivia.

Nick Licastro in my opinion is an asset to Kings Island too. As others have said he really gave some insightful information on Kings Island and the 2009 season ahead. I also like to add that in addition to Mr. Licastro presentation I was also intrigued with his professionalism of his answers and his careful choice of words. One question was about comparing his previous Amusement Park experience to his present one. I think his answer showcases one of his great talents and a reflection of his work ethic backed-up by an past employees endorsement. I will add that after his presentation and answering all questions asked he came to me to follow up further on a question I had asked. Thanks Mr. Licatro for your time.

Ronny your picture of me in your report is another example of why they say a picture tells many stories. Two stories come to mind when I seen that picture, first it is an affirmation of why I have started back on my diet. Second It helps explain why I jumped in to help cut the sandwiches. When I was waiting in line it seemed the line was moving very slowly for chips and sandwiches. When I got up there it was hard to see which three foot sandwiches had on them as far as meat cuts without raising the bun. Also there were a few plastic knives out to cut through the large sandwiches and I thought to myself it will take most of the night for everyone to poke through the varieties of sandwiches then cut of a section. So I thought I'll just cut several pieces to help speed up the line, but as fast as I could explain the cuts and cut a portion (using a better cutting knife Dane found) another attendee was right there to be served or to find out the choices. I will give those non attendees as well as those who did a description of the the sandwiches served as well as what the favorites were. Turkey went the fastest and was the most requested followed by a tie between Ham and Spicy Italian , BMT was next and the Combo of cold cuts was rarely requested. There you have it, an even greater report than you could have imagined.

Thanks to the KICentral Crew for taking the time to plan such events and all the stress that brings on just to make sure your members feel appreciated and to satisfy their love of all things Kings Island.

Lastly I truly enjoy seeing so many fellow members and sharing stories, memories and laughs about the park as well as catching up on our personal life adventures. I thought it said a lot about the KICentral community attendess that while taking that long walk in the cold on an ice covered road everyone seemed to take it in stride and made the best of it; another memory – but as the years wear on it will be debated at how deep the snow actually was.

Thanks everyone for a great fun evening Avatar - Jesse

Now the question for the KICentral crew.

P.S.I noticed a few times that the word “Universe” has been added to the title KICentral; What does that mean?

I couldn't even cut my own sandwich piece without destroying it. :lol:

I liked that there was more of a sandwich selection than I expected. I thought there was only roast beef and turkey until someone (Avatar?) pointed at one of the subs and said "That's Italian." I was on it. It's rare for me to go somewhere where refreshments are served, and me to say "This is my favorite." So to whoever was in charge of food, you rock.

Now the question for the KICentral crew.

P.S.I noticed a few times that the word “Universe” has been added to the title KICentral; What does that mean?

One of Ryans sayings.

I couldn't even cut my own sandwich piece without destroying it. :lol:

We thought they would cut it into 1.5 inch sections, but they didn't.

I liked that there was more of a sandwich selection than I expected. I thought there was only roast beef and turkey until someone (Avatar?) pointed at one of the subs and said "That's Italian." I was on it. It's rare for me to go somewhere where refreshments are served, and me to say "This is my favorite." So to whoever was in charge of food, you rock.

Your welcome, I got 2 of each sub. Combo, Turkey, Roast Beef, Spicy Italian, and BMT.

Nick came to work at Kings Island after several seasons of working in Park Services at Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio. In his presentation, Mr. Licastro not only spoke about how great a product Boomerang Bay is and how well trained his life guard staff is (anyone who saw that local news piece on his team last summer can attest to their top notch safety training), but also spoke about his departments continuing focus on park cleanliness. I think anyone who has been to the park these past two seasons can really see that the park is constantly improving on cleanliness. I think Mr. Licastro gave a great presentation and has a very obtainable goal in mind...look out Holiday World.

Can anyone elaborare on the last sentence? What information was said about Boomerang Bay? What is this goal?

And if he and his staff can achieve that accomplishment, more power to him. It will make our home park look even nicer than it has in several several years. I know even the last two seasons, I have seen numerous attendants in the bathrooms cleaning. Under Paramount/Viacom/CBS I never saw that!