Scooby Doo sneak peek pics

Shaggy

When people use the term "Old Coney" they are actually referring to the original Coney island amusement park on Kellogg Ave. The park was very popular, but then in the 80's through 90's it dwindled, and now its back up to having a decent selection of kids rides, and the only coaster I know of themed after a can of soda.

Fyrfyter, I know of Coney Island and I have been there before and I did ride the Pepsi Python. I think I read somewhere that Coney Mall used to be called Old Coney. I've never heard anyone call the park Old Coney. It is still Coney Island and that's what I hear people call it.

The map you see is indeed from 1975. I actually uploaded it because someone on another board was questioning the existance of a ride called the "Cuddle Up" that used to reside on Coney Mall. The Cuddle-up was the spinning ride that came from Cincinnati's Coney Island when KI was opened. It was a teacup-like attraction in which the tubs could enterchange on turntables. It shared the building with the Dodgems, before the 1985 remodeling of Coney mall.

In answer to the other questions posed here, Coney Mall has had three different names since the parks inception. It has been called "Coney Island","Old Coney" and"Coney Mall." The reason for it's name change was due to confusion with the former park. Once Cincinnati's Coney Island again blossomed into it's own park, KI began calling that themed area simply "Coney Mall" since most residents if the Cincinnati area refer to the former park now as "Old Coney" or "Coney Island." They changed the name to help clear confusion.

Shaggy

I was at Coney Island a couple of weeks ago, and the Python was still there. Also, Coney Island is much more than a pool and a couple of water slides. Coney Island also has numerous other rides, inculding kiddie rides, bumper cars, a big fun slide, mini golf, bumper boats, pedal boats, canoes and other various rides. In addition to this, there is also a stage and an outdoor banquet hall, a Larosas and a Skyline Chili. Its fun to visit at least once a season. Its not PKI, but then again, it is an amusement park, thats cost less than half of PKI's price for a one day admission. for more info visit Coney island

It is also great for the historical aspect. I was very much intrigued with the past of the park and returned for the first time a few seasons ago. There are still traces of the older park, and there are great artifacts located in the show building that detail it's rich history.

Perhaps not big on thrills anymore, but it is a terrific testament to a park that people enjoy too much to let die.

Shaggy

I go to Old Coney at least once a season. Now, the park is mostly for craft shows and such, but I do manage to stop in and ride the Round Up at least once!

The park is great if you have little kids and you want to take them to a park. PKI is too big, IMO, for kids around the age of 7. They maybe able to ride most of the rides, but I dont really feel comfortable at PKI when I am with small kids.

Good concerts at riverbend are always fun, as long as they are not in the spring. That is the only major problem with Sunlite Pool/Coney island When the river floods, bye bye Coney. In 1998, the water made it past the roof of the pavilion, which is about 10 feet off the ground. Yikes!

• 14 years later...
On 1/22/2003 at 1:20 PM, Shaggy said:

The main thing to keep in mind with the interior of Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle is that most everything is flat. Whereas the props in Phantom Theatre were all very realistic, Scooby takes on a much more cartoonish feel. It has a smaller and more intimate feel as well, rather than the open warehouse ambiance that PT had. Although I wish things were a bit more dimensional, some of the effects and surprises are fan-freaking-tastic. What was odd was being in a place so familiar in layout, yet so different looking.

The outside of the building will look just like the drawing on the PKI site. You will enter through large iron gates similar to the old PT entrance. However, this new gate is furthur to the left. You will cross an elaborate bridge to the building. The building facade is nearly twice as tall as the old PT front. The entrance is actually on the corner of the building as opposed to one side. The entrance path spirals down into the Grand Hall. Not much work has been done to the Grand hall, which is where the que will be. When you enter there are new walls that will filter out the light and make the interior darker and the effects more well.... effective. The upper "balcony" that surrounded the que and was home to Maestro #1 is being ripped out and the former "lightening windows" sealed up. This area will have fun stuff with a storyline that sets up the ride. The old organ that the Maestro figure played while in the que of PT was literally smashed into pieces on the floor. Don't feel too bad for it though, it was only a plywood box ;-)

Shaggy

Sorry to bring up a thread this old but I was just reading and got bored and noticed that in this Shaggy said that Maestros balcony was being ripped out however it is still there today. I just wanted to know shaggy if you saw some of it being removed and if the "lightning windows" got boarded up then as well. Again sorry, just curious. MaestroJr