Now that Diamondback is here for 2009, what will come next?

Frank

KI has invested in the new coaster Diamondback for the 2009 season. What attractions, improvements, or changes do you think KI will make for in the near or long term future? This is a topic to discuss interests about new attractions and what you would like to see KI add/change/improve in the amusement park.

How about lets get Diamondback open and enjoy it before we start talking about investing in the future? Diamondback is one of the largest coaster installations in the park`s history, behind The Beast. It will surely be a sensational hit. No need to wish your life away just yet talking about future investments when Diamondback isn`t even open yet.

• Like 1

How about lets get Diamondback open and enjoy it before we start talking about investing in the future? Diamondback is one of the largest coaster installations in the park`s history, behind The Beast. It will surely be a sensational hit. No need to wish your life away just yet talking about future investments when Diamondback isn`t even open yet.

YES!! most definately, We all are excited for Diamondback to open and to ride it! If someone wasnt excited I would think they are nuts lol. I figure KI is really centering in on and focusing on making everything perfect, or as you say "a sensational hit" with Diamondback and even the rest of the park for opening day 2009. haha, obviously it is given that we should focus on Diamondback like KI prob is focusing the majority of their attention on now. While the majority of the attention is focused on Diamondback and preparing the park for opening day, I am sure and would hope that ideas are going through the minds of those in charge at KI for the future. Many ideas can be tossed around, fun to talk about. lol I would hope that if you worked for KI and that you were one of the personel in charge of brainstorming ideas, that you would have fun with it and not consider it "wishing your life away."

First of all Frank, I was referring to the fact that you were implying that you wanted to discuss future attractions and additions down the road, as GigaCoaster linked to.

Secondly, the upper level management probably has already or is discussing what is in store in 2010 and beyond. A lot of work goes into planning these attractions. Just look at the fact that work was evident on Diamondback by opening day 2008, more than a full year before the ride was set to open. And not every year needs to bring in a new attraction to keep the park fresh for repeat visitors. Just look at this past season. The park hosted several special events to attract people to the park.

Not to mention that much, much, much depends on events to be announced by midweek next week...or not. And on a not unrelated note, the general economic situation. Cedar Fair is deeply indebted to its creditors, and must carefully husband its resources. Kings Island just got a MAJOR investment, and by far the lion's share of 2009 capex. It would not be reasonable to expect that same proportion of capex two years in a row.

Especially considering the fact that by all indications, Cedar Point is not getting any major additions this year. 2010 will mark three years since Cedar Point got its last major capital expansion project. And I`m sure part of the plans for 2010 will depend on how the economy is looking as 2009 marches along.

Yep. Most of them were slightly surprised that overall capital expenditures has not increased that much since the Paramount Parks have been integrated into the mix. 2009`s numbers were particularly lower (as has been discussed in other threads), in part because Great America`s coaster that was planned for this year has been postponed due to zoning issues and complaints from neighbors.

First of all Frank, I was referring to the fact that you were implying that you wanted to discuss future attractions and additions down the road, as GigaCoaster linked to.

Secondly, the upper level management probably has already or is discussing what is in store in 2010 and beyond. A lot of work goes into planning these attractions. Just look at the fact that work was evident on Diamondback by opening day 2008, more than a full year before the ride was set to open. And not every year needs to bring in a new attraction to keep the park fresh for repeat visitors. Just look at this past season. The park hosted several special events to attract people to the park.

Yes I agree. I think we misunderstood each other. I was wanting to discuss anything new or changes that ppl think KI might do in the future. Saying this includes more than simply coaster additions. This past season KI had many new events to attract guests such as the tight rope walker, the Kineval event on May 24, and other various events, such as shows and other activities that took place in the festhaus and throughout the park.

I'm excited for Diamondback, I didn't mean to apply anything different. lol Just thought it'd be fun to discuss interests on any changes improvements or new attractions ppl on KIC would be interested in. Thats why i posted it under coming attractions. I should have guessed there'd be other topics such as this already started, but it never hurts to start a new topic to discuss similar interests concerning any type of attractions in the park :D

Thanks Giga for the link to the other topic, I will make sure to read up on some of the ideas discussed. I think its fun to appreciate what we already have at Kings Island, but also to discuss what could be coming, what we would like to see coming, and interests that we think would make the park even more enjoyable than it already is. :D

It would be awesome if KI had another large investment for 2010, lol the likely hood of which is as anyone would guess rather unlikely :( lol

I cannot wait to ride Diamondback! :D it will be awesome, hopefully the economy does get better in the next few years, not just so we can hope for more addition to KI, obviously not as large of an investment as Diamondback, but also for all the people who are unemployed and such. Of course anyone likes the idea of a new rollercoaster coming to a park near you, or for a coaster enthusiast any new coaster altogether :D, I just think its fun to talk about things that can enhance our park. Just for fun, not serious, and I would hope it wouldn't be wasting my life lol, for isn't it what we come on KIC to discuss coaster additions, and the events and history of KI? I find it all enjoyable.

Counting down the days to April 18, 2009!

• 4 weeks later...

I sorta wish we could get something Maverick-y.

(Yes, I just said "Maverick-y")

It'd be nice for Rivertown.

Also, I think they need to reaaaallly change The Crypt's theming to a mine like some people have said on here.

It'd fit sooo much better.

Also also, I hope Diamondback doesn't mess up the little area next to the WWC entrance and the train's entrance where it's so shady.

I absolutely love love love it there.

:)

wouldn't Son of Beast be the second largest investment now?

It depends on how you use the superlative "large": area taken up, money spent, time spent, importance to the future of the park, importance to the current state of the park etc...

My guess is that more time and money has been spent in SoB (at least in recent history) but The Beast is obviously much more important to the park.

And unless Frank changed his original post since the time when Terpy read it and I read it but from what I can tell, Frank wasn't just talking about next year...

What attractions, improvements, or changes do you think KI will make for in the near or long term future?

Kings Island just got a MAJOR investment, and by far the lion's share of 2009 capex. It would not be reasonable to expect that same proportion of capex two years in a row.

As far as I can tell, Frank realized that.

But it does seems like Kings Island, under Cedar Fair, is trying to return back to the basics. More and new entertainment was added last year along with the jump and rope walk events. They even added much more garbage cans.

I don't know if anyone listens to Behind the Thrills podcast but a few weeks ago our own Don Helbig was interviewed on there and he talked about bringing street performers to the park. IMO, nothing beats a good Barbershop Quartet.

Well, maybe something "Maverick-y"

I would be perfectly content with new shows (think 2008 season) in 2010 and then maybe a small flat ride extension onto X-Base, I really want to see that area grow. But that can wait untill 2011 or 2012, I think Diamondback will satisfy me enough to make up for a lack of newer rides coming into the park after it.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, maybe some theme renovations on some of the exsisting rides (i.e. Scooby Doo, FoF, and The Crypt) that will really be nice!

I am curious, people constantly say "How about a few flats" or "A flat or two" or "Maybe a flat", how much would a flat ride really cost, I don't mean just the ride itself but the total overall addition, because it just doesn't strike me as as easy as some people say.

And I suspect the one in California was as much or even more, given when it was built and California construction costs.

I'd think less because it doesn't feature the "5th Dimension" part of the ride. That makes it a building maybe...half the size of the one in WDW? Right?

• 10 years later...

I come from the future

2010: Boo Blasters on Boo hill

2011: WindSeeker and Dinosaurs Alive!

2012: Soak City expansion

2013: Nothing

2014: Banshee

2015: Planet Snoopy Expansion

2016: Tropical Plunge

2017: Mystic Timbers

2018: Nothing

2019: Kings Mills Antique Cars