Opening Day 2009

Jaredap88

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gosh darnit, you guys are making me hungry.

I'm a big fan of the fudge and candy shop on International Street where you can pick your own bulk mix. My mouth always waters when I see all that candy. :lol:

After working pre-season in the Emporium, I have a fear of public bulk candy bins. I saw a little girl (probably around 4) walking around with a jaw breaker licking it most of the time she and her mother were in the store, and then hiding it when her mom turned around. I thought it was cute at the time, but didn't realize she wasn't just hiding that she was eating it early - she was hiding that she had it at all.

As I was cleaning up the store later on in that shift, I found the partially licked jaw breaker back in the bin with the others.

It isn't just four year olds...you really do not want to watch what some adults do at buffets (lick the serving spoon, fish out green beans with their hands, sneeze into the food, put stuff from their plate back in the serving dishes, use used plates to scoop up more food, etc.). And people wonder why I am NOT a huge fan of buffets...

I'm excited to just be in the park and done with winter for a while! As funny as it may sound the park calms me down when I'm worred and stressed out. I love it.

I know what you mean..it does the exact same thing to me.

maybe they should just put little trip wires in the park...if you run...obviously you wouldn't see...and trip...and feel dumb...if you walk...you'd see it...and calmly step over.... :lol:

that would be hilarious....i dont run as it is....you are lucky if you see me over a jog for a few seconds at the park..

I thought about something you know how we keep getting seat belts on rides well I'm going to make a bet that one of these days the Grand Carousal will have seat belts built onto the horses.lol

I wouldnt say that too loud, they may hear you and will determine that it will need seatbelts lol

i just thought....i REALLY hope the weather is decent opening weekend.....nice sunny warm days...

seeing as how its ohio...im afraid that may not be the case <_<

this is true...ohio has some really weird weather...one minute nice warm and sunny and then the very next day if not just a few hours it could be snowing...

I'm excited to just be in the park and done with winter for a while! As funny as it may sound the park calms me down when I'm worred and stressed out. I love it.

I know what you mean..it does the exact same thing to me.

maybe they should just put little trip wires in the park...if you run...obviously you wouldn't see...and trip...and feel dumb...if you walk...you'd see it...and calmly step over.... :lol:

that would be hilarious....i dont run as it is....you are lucky if you see me over a jog for a few seconds at the park..

I thought about something you know how we keep getting seat belts on rides well I'm going to make a bet that one of these days the Grand Carousal will have seat belts built onto the horses.lol

I wouldnt say that too loud, they may hear you and will determine that it will need seatbelts lol

i just thought....i REALLY hope the weather is decent opening weekend.....nice sunny warm days...

seeing as how its ohio...im afraid that may not be the case <_<

this is true...ohio has some really weird weather...one minute nice warm and sunny and then the very next day if not just a few hours it could be snowing...

KY weather is worst than ohio

I think we'll see seat belts before we'll see the Calliope working.

Well, to be technical about it, the Carousel has never had a "calliope" at Kings Island. A calliope is an instrument that is powered by steam and often found on steam boats. The Kings Island Carousel used to have an operational Wurlitzer Duplex Band Organ #157 that dates back to 1918. Only twenty Wurlitzer Duplex Band Organs were ever built. While the decorative front to Kings Island`s band organ is still present, the organ has not been operational for several years now. I believe that 2005 might have been the last year that authentic carousel music could be heard originating from the band organ. Incidentally, while the Carousel (PTC #79 built in 1926) originated at Coney, the band organ was never located at Coney. It was built for Ocean Grove in New Jersey.

I love going to parks when the weather is supposed to be crappy.. I went to KI one day and was next in line for Vortex when it started storming, so I just hung out in the station until the storm passed.. afterward, walking through the park, you could hear a pin drop. :D

yeah thats always nice when no one is there but still...for opening day i just dont wanna walk around in a bunch of wetness....and honestly for opening day i dont think weather will make much of a difference. if it rains you're just going to have a big crowd of wet people...which would lead to a bunch of angry wet people 'cause i dont know about you but i dont like being wet (unless i chose to be wet) and i get a bit cranky.....but on the bright side if it is raining (and not cold) its just another excuse to hit White Water Canyon

You make a typical enthusiast assumption. I can assure you if it rains hard and has been forecast to do so for quite some time and is forecast to do so all day, most people will stay home. Most people are not avid park people. They go for fun. And for them, getting soaked all day long in a park is not fun. Also, Cedar Fair is not known for running coasters in pouring rain. Thus, even many enthusiasts will stay home. The fun for the park in this situation would be the next day. Especially if that day is warm and sunny. You see, the park is not open to the public the day after Diamondback opens. It is closed for a group event.

Also, Cedar Fair is not known for running coasters in pouring rain.

Unless things have changed very recently, it doesn't have to be pouring for them to close. Not to mention, you must then wait until the pavement is dry before the rides reopen. It makes me crazy to stand there and wait for rides to reopen when the rain has long since gone, or is just sprinkling.

Agreed, but guests would be happier if they did not have to stand and wait long after the rain has stopped for the rides to reopen. That leads to guests leaving. If the rain is coming down hard and the ride closes but promptly reopens when the rain lightens, they will be less likely to be upset than when a ride closes for light rain and remains closed for 30 minutes after the rain has ceased.

This is especially true on spring days when storms come and go many times. As long as the weather is reasonable up until noon, most guests probably wouldn't be affected to much by the weather unless they get aggravated about having to walk around and look at closed rides when they're just a little wet. Besides, some of us (that would be me), really enjoy rain rides!

I think we'll see seat belts before we'll see the Calliope working.

Well, to be technical about it, the Carousel has never had a "calliope" at Kings Island. A calliope is an instrument that is powered by steam and often found on steam boats. The Kings Island Carousel used to have an operational Wurlitzer Duplex Band Organ #157 that dates back to 1918. Only twenty Wurlitzer Duplex Band Organs were ever built. While the decorative front to Kings Island`s band organ is still present, the organ has not been operational for several years now. I believe that 2005 might have been the last year that authentic carousel music could be heard originating from the band organ. Incidentally, while the Carousel (PTC #79 built in 1926) originated at Coney, the band organ was never located at Coney. It was built for Ocean Grove in New Jersey.

I think that is a real mistake at KI. The carousel lost a certain magic when they stopped using the organ. It just isn't an old fashioned classic carousel without the music. The sound system is most certainly not a suitable substitute.

What's the reason for letting the organ fall into disrepair?

I don't mean when there is pouring rain all day. I definitely won't visit a park in those conditions.

I meant when there are scattered/isolated showers/thunderstorms. They seem to occur just enough throughout the day to scare the GP off.. and in between those small storms and rain showers, I can get some serious ride time in. ;)

It happened to me at CP one day. I saw black clouds on the horizon, and next thing you know it was raining and storming for about 45 minutes. I got something to eat with a friend while a good percentage of people were running toward the exit. After the sun came back out, it was sweet silence in the park.. we got 6 rides in a row on MF in about 1 hour. :D

I don't mean when there is pouring rain all day. I definitely won't visit a park in those conditions.

I will, and have many times. As long as I have a nice raincoat with me, or am in a good mood, I don't mind walking through a pouring rain in a park (rides or no rides). It adds to the excitement that some days just have, especially if said rain ends up clearing!

There is something peaceful I find about a driving rain and dark clouds, same goes for clear skies and sunny. Both ends of the spectrum I find particularly pleasing. Sometimes it is nice just to walk around a park, deserted or full, pouring or clear and sunny. It makes for great conversation with strangers when huddled under an awning as well!

Cory, getting sentimental and wishing he was at the park on any day!

I too like the rain. I tend to hit the cosaters and higher thrill rides and ignore most other attractions so, a rainy day gives me an entirely different visit to the park.

Giga I'm with you too. Last year I went to CP fairly late in the season and it rained that morning but cleared up 1/2 into the operating day... I think it was a 12:00 day. Maverick had a 40 min wait but everyting else was nearly wlak on. 10 min for TTD, less for Millie and the rest were all walk on. What a Day!