Opening Day 2009

Jaredap88

We used to come to Kings Island on sunny or rainy days because we knew it would clear up and if it was a light rain or it did not lightning. Since Cedar Fair took over and changed the weather and operating ride procedures, we do not make that 1:45 minute ride over to take the chance anymore. I agree with safety and wonder how we lived to tell about riding in the weather stories. I think of it as being behind a very old person who sits to long at an intersection for my liking; I remind my self would I rather them push themselves into traffic that they are uncomfortable with or would I rather both of us and the oncoming traffic all get to where we are going by waiting on that person just a bit longer.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate when people are inattentive when they are driving because they are too busy carrying on a conversation on their cell phone. When going to Kings Island last year, I actually saw someone brushing their teeth and using their knees to control the steering wheel! And this was on 71! Talk about dangerous!

That is nothing dude. I seen a guy having the newspaper on the steering wheel speeding down the high along with a guy standing on his handlebars of his crotch rocket. What idots. I tend to honk alot in traffic. People who stop for no reason then turn really make me angry or people who just got plain slow. 20 in a 35 ect! Come on get ou tthe way!

I want us to get back on topic, but I would be remiss if I did not point out that overuse of the horn, particularly in New York/New Jersey can get you ticketed for aggressive driving, noise ordinance violations and even reckless driving. The fine can easily top $1000, and many points can be assessed against your license. Automotive horns are supposed to be reserved for emergency use only, not "GET OUT MY WAY BUSTER, YOU ANNOY ME."

I used to be impatient with oldsters who take too long to enter an intersection. A wise friend pointed out to me, some day that will be you. I remember that. I now almost never ever honk when someone is taking too long. Then it usually turns out to have been a youngun on a cell phone. Alas!

Watch who you call an oldster! :lol::lol: Has anyone here driven in Manhatten? Any one that drives too conservative there will be driven over by all the cabbies! In my opinion speaking on a cell phone while driving is more serious or just as serious as someone drinking and driving. You can not be paying attention to the road and other drivers when eating a big mac, putting on make up, switching cd's or anything else. I have seen all of that from drivers while working out at the parking tolls. They want me to wait while they continue talking on their phone rather than having their parkin toll ready, even with long lines of cars behind them.

KI - The Original Employee

I want us to get back on topic, but I would be remiss if I did not point out that overuse of the horn, particularly in New York/New Jersey can get you ticketed for aggressive driving, noise ordinance violations and even reckless driving. The fine can easily top $1000, and many points can be assessed against your license. Automotive horns are supposed to be reserved for emergency use only, not "GET OUT MY WAY BUSTER, YOU ANNOY ME."

By chance would the $1,000 fines for NJ go to enabling more left-hand turns or opening more self-serve gas stations?!

I hate when people are inattentive when they are driving because they are too busy carrying on a conversation on their cell phone. When going to Kings Island last year, I actually saw someone brushing their teeth and using their knees to control the steering wheel! And this was on 71! Talk about dangerous!

I saw a guy playing his sax-with both hands-on highway 101 in California. Same year another guy was shaving.

I was at working opening day 2008 but not at tolls. I was working at tolls early in the morning when there was a bad accident outside of the south parking toll area. Some driver in a hurry to get into the park drove across the lanes to get in and hit another car. The driver must had still been partying from the night before. I have also been almost driven over by a car attempting to exit from the entrance plaza rather than go to the exit lane.

Six Flags Great Adventure, by the way, has many automated toll gates activated by a season pass with parking or by credit card. Given the attitudes of many drivers/park goers up there, I can only imagine the abuse those balsa wood gates and the attendants at the staffed booths take. Especially given that parking there STARTS at $15 a day or $45 a season.

What about the moon-like terrain AFTER you go through the tolls?

Not to mention the sedimentation basins with signs that say something like: This area may flood. Kings Island is not responsible for any damages to your vehicle caused by flooding.

For $10 or more, you would think Cedar Fair could provide a flat surfaced parking lot free of potholes and flood basins!

i cant really decide what i wanna ride first. right now i think its between The Beast and Flight of Fear. as of now its leaning a little more towards FoF but who knows? anyone with any input?

I'm sure we all have input, but your first ride of the season is up to you.

I'm planning to hit Diamondback as soon as I can to avoid waiting in lengthy lines. Other than that, I'm happy with my usual pattern. I always start and end with The Beast. It's a tradition of mine that I don't anticipate changing much.

Usually the pattern starts when I ride The Beast umpteen times, and then I work my way to The Racer while skipping Firehawk and then depending on lines, sometimes Backlot and FoF as well. From there, I tend to head to Son of Beast, but it depends. Afterward...Stunt Crew Grill or Beast-Rivertown LaRosa's Pizza-Beast again. From there, it's anyone's guess. Fill in the gaps and reride when I feel like it. Typically the pattern lasts until about 1:00.

I still think it would be great to take off sprinting at the drop of the rope...and loudly celebrate being part of the first cycle of the day on...Viking Fury.

If GatorGirl is 40" this season (which I suspect she will be), we may actually be the ones to do that! Plus she would have to be willing to part with SD&THC as her first ride everytime... but once she rides VF she just might. :lol: