Park Full

Jasper

Wow i am glad i was not there for one of those days. I went to Universal a day after they closed the park down due to capacity. Needless to say it was not fun at all, 3 and 4 hour lines for most things and the temperatures were unbearable.

Wow i am glad i was not there for one of those days. I went to Universal a day after they closed the park down due to capacity. Needless to say it was not fun at all, 3 and 4 hour lines for most things and the temperatures were unbearable.

Yep, those days were some of the few that I didn't enjoy the park after I got off, just left immediately. There was a 30 minute wait just to rent a locker in the water park. It took us over an hour to sort the keys at the end of the night, something that usually only took 15-20 minutes.

I am glad they did away with Bring A Friend Free Day because from what i have heard all that did was cause mass amounts of crowds. Which isn't really a bad thing for the park because that means more revenue for them.

Honestly I am too. I never made use of them because it was far too packed those days. I'd rather pay $25 for my friend's ticket at AAA and go on a day when there's decent wait times.

Plus i could only imagine the park being packed full a few years ago when there wasn't that many attractions as there is now. I bet the lines were unbearable.

The Racer was running 1 1/2 - 2 hours, according to what people were telling me. Most of the big coasters were 4+ hours. Even the flats that are normally walk-on were 1+ hour waits. The speed slides (now are the ones that you slide down on a blue mat) that I could see from the locker rental counter in the water park were lined all the way down the stairs and onto the ground. Probably well over an hour just for a water slide.

I am glad they did away with Bring A Friend Free Day because from what i have heard all that did was cause mass amounts of crowds. Which isn't really a bad thing for the park because that means more revenue for them.

Actually, it WAS a bad thing for the park. Many of the friends thought Kings Island was always that way, saw the park at its absolute worst, and never, ever came back. One of the smartest things Cedar Fair did was get rid of Bring A Friend Free days. If there were really incremental nickels in it, Mr. Kinzel would surely have retained them and even adopted them at the legacy Cedar Fair parks. He didn't and hasn't.

Last year on July 26, Cedar Point's attendance hit 58,000 because of Cleveland Clinic days. It was also a warm, sunny Saturday. It got to the point where they were prepared to shut down a lane of the causeway for parking.

I wasn't there, but here are some photos of the midway and the parking lot.

http://www.pointpics.com/categories.php?ca...=491&page=1

http://www.pointpics.com/categories.php?ca...=491&page=2

Yes, I'm am not a fan of bring a friend days, it just makes it a crappy crowded day. I would like to see some kind of benefit, although I know it will never happen, where you could bring a friend once or twice a year for a considerable discount, but they would have to do it in a way, that the season pass holder would have to be with the person with the discount to get in so they couldn't sell the tickets on ebay, making the park more crowded all the time with people getting in with cheap tickets. But that's a mute point because that will never happen

I worked at the park in the early 70's when we had 60,000 and it was wall to wall people. If I was going to Kings Island and I lived in the area, there is no way I would go to the park if it was that crowded. There can be no pleasure with very long lines for everything from rides to food to yes, rest room breaks. Last year during Robbie's visit was the most croweded in a long time and it was no way near 60k. I have worked a couple BAFD and it is an interesting day.

Plus i could only imagine the park being packed full a few years ago when there wasn't that many attractions as there is now. I bet the lines were unbearable.

The Racer was running 1 1/2 - 2 hours, according to what people were telling me. Most of the big coasters were 4+ hours. Even the flats that are normally walk-on were 1+ hour waits. The speed slides (now are the ones that you slide down on a blue mat) that I could see from the locker rental counter in the water park were lined all the way down the stairs and onto the ground. Probably well over an hour just for a water slide.

If I had to wait that long I would go home. I couldnt stand the wait. I drive almost 2 hours at that... eek

Nothing is worse than driving all the way from Richmond, Ky. and getting to the park and it being crowded. But i choose to make the best out of my days at the Island.

I just realized where you were from. Hi neighbor..lol yeah driving that far we both would have to make the best on a crowed day. It just really sucks driving that far and not getting to ride as much as you would like due to long lines.

Yes, I'm am not a fan of bring a friend days, it just makes it a crappy crowded day. I would like to see some kind of benefit, although I know it will never happen, where you could bring a friend once or twice a year for a considerable discount, but they would have to do it in a way, that the season pass holder would have to be with the person with the discount to get in so they couldn't sell the tickets on ebay, making the park more crowded all the time with people getting in with cheap tickets. But that's a mute point because that will never happen

Last year they had a few bring a friend cheap days. I took my mom and brother out there the weekend after labor for $10/each, they park wasn't crowded at all, either.

Nothing is worse than driving all the way from Richmond, Ky. and getting to the park and it being crowded. But i choose to make the best out of my days at the Island.

I just realized where you were from. Hi neighbor..lol yeah driving that far we both would have to make the best on a crowed day. It just really sucks driving that far and not getting to ride as much as you would like due to long lines.

Hello neighbor to the north. Probably the most crowded day i have been on is Saturday August 10th 2001. The park was very very crowded and we only got to ride about 4 coasters including a nasty full hangar wait for Flight of Fear.

• 1 month later...
Wasn't one of the 4th of July days overcrowded to the point where they closed the parking lot?

I went for the fourth of July(which is my birthday) and the park was dead.

Typically the park's pretty busy that day. It was just kind of nasty weather this past 4th of July.

Wasn't one of the 4th of July days overcrowded to the point where they closed the parking lot?

Typically the park's pretty busy that day. It was just kind of nasty weather this past 4th of July.

Yeah the day I went it rained alot.

I think I went once on 'Bring a Friend Free Day', and it was really horrible. Almost every single ride had lines spilling out past the turnstyles. It didn't help that it felt like it was over 100 degrees that day. I remember waiting 3+ hours for SOB, and even Top Gun's line was out to the entrance. I remember people parking in the grass by the cemetery, it was so crowded. I'm glad they did away with that. I don't think anyone looked happy in the park that day!

~Ash

Though if the 3rd of July falls on a weekday, that's usually a pretty good day to go. If it falls on a Saturday, it's not.