Kings Island Flooded by Job Applications

CoastersRZ

For those of you who have seen similar articles about Carowinds and Kings Dominion about a surge in job applications, the same is now true at Kings Island.

Kings Island has received twice as many online applications this year as they have this time last year. Read the entire article from Cincinnati Enquirer here: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090212/NEWS01/302120119.

Although the article fails to link to the correct website for Kings Island. They still link to www.pki.com and not visitkingsisland.com

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I'm 15 so I had to do food and beverages associate. I would've preferred to do park services and sweep. I decided to apply because I thought that the work experience there would be good for some extra cash, I get to hang out in one of my favorite places anywhere, and just having a good time.

Poor wording ahead:

The park will hire seasonal workers age 15 and older in all parts of the park, including food service, games, the call center, the water park, rides, security and more.

Some departments have age restrictions, and will not hire 15 year olds. And many that do take 15 year olds will only hire so many of them, due to the additional restrictions placed on them in the Minor Labor Laws compared to those 16 and 17 years of age.

So if you're 15 and would like to work at the park, the earlier you apply and interview, the better!

Unfortunately, I'm 15 so I had to do food and beverages associate. I would've preferred to do park services and sweep. I decided to apply because I thought that the work experience there would be good for some extra cash, I get to hang out in one of my favorite places anywhere, and just having a good time.

You certainly did not HAVE to be in food. I'm a Supervisor in Games and we have tons of 15 year olds. All you do is make change and runs the games. Piece o' cake.

^I'm sorry but when you say "ride operator" it bugs me. The position is a "Rides Associate". There were 2 people on my crew last year that were not trained to drive the coasters at all. You just don't operate the rides, you check bars and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm sorry if that sounds mean but since I know longer work in the department I feel like I have to be a know-it-all. I know that doesn't sound like a good reason to be a know-it-all.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope you get the job! Best of luck to you!

Again, I'm sorry if I sounded like a d**k.

If I ever had the opportunity to work at Kings Island, I think I'd wanna be in rides...seems like the best department.

Hey, watch it Gordon...them's fightin' words. :lol:

Gator, a former Food/Merch/Admissions/Haunt associate, who also admits that when he first applied many, many years ago it was for Rides but they were full at the time, and did finally get a chance to work Rides on a few occasions many, many years after that first hire and had a blast doing it!

And goofy, there's more to operating a ride than just driving it. Part of operating a ride is also checking restraints, etc. So "Ride Operator" is a perfectly fine term.

^Ok that makes me feel better. I really hope you get the job though. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Do you ride op's like when I buckle an empty seat next to me or pull down the restraint??

On Son of Beast we have to buckle the seat belt and push down the lap bar when the seat is also empty. The seat belt does slow us down a little bit so it is awesome when the guest next to it buckles the seat belt. I usually would give it a little tug though if a guest did it for me just in case. But for Flight Deck, if the seat is empty only the harness has to be down, the seat belt doesn't have to be fastened.

i have a interview on sunday at 10 am for ride operations WISH ME LUCK!!!!

Good Luck!

good luck to all of you applying ... and remeber ... just to think of the following for just a bit, no i was not asked this but if i had thought the following i would of looked a bit less silly:

if you where a guest, and you had to run in to someone with your job how would you want that person to act? ... Think of differ situations that may make the guest really unhappy or happy

also on a side note follow good business etiquette ... shake hands, dont sit till asked, dress nicely, ect....

When I was sitting at lunch time at school watching the park being constructed, I could not wait to apply for work there. Finally in January 1972 they opened up HR and I (among others) waited in line several hours dying for the chance to apply. I was hired in as a "litter gitter" or ecology as it is now called. At first I was not to thrilled but I grew loving that job. I considered it as the best job that Kings Island had. I had the entire park to roam as my area of responsiblity and thus, time would fly. I would enjoy the scenery, the roar of the rides and most of all, the interaction I had with all the guests. We took pride in our work and loved to hear from guests, "How clean the park was!' I worked at the park from 72 through the end of 75 and came back in the mid 92 to 96, all the time spent working in ecology. I have been working at the park since 2005 through the present, which 2009 will make my 14th season. I transfered from ecology to the call center in 2005 and since 2006 I have been working in admissions.

The one thing you can say about Kings Island is that they hire people of character. Everyone cares about their job, the people they work with and most of all, they really love greeting and make contact with all the guests that come into the park. When coming to the park to apply for any position, bring a desire that this is the place you would love to work at. Show it in how you greet the interviewer, answer their questions and most of all, make eye contact. As one of my former employers said to me, turn the interview into a conversation rather than a question and answer session. You will make lots of new friends. Enjoy your time at the Park!

KI - The Orignal Employee