Ohio's New Rides

Return of D

I just came across this story, thought it was interesting. In case anyone wanted to read it.

Despite Economy, Ohio Theme Parks Adding New Rides

PKI, Cedar Point To Include New Attractions

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Despite worries about the economy, Ohio's two biggest amusement parks are not holding back on spending for new attractions this summer.

Cedar Point is spending $25 million on a roller coaster that will top 400 feet, while Paramount's Kings Island is building three multimillion- dollar attractions.

In general, most amusement parks have been cautious in spending during the last couple of years, said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati.

He said the economy or the threat of war shouldn't hurt attendance, he said.

"Our business has always has done well in times of war and recession," Speigel said. "People want to escape and get away from their problems."

Construction is well under way at Kings Island and Cedar Point.

At Kings Island near Cincinnati, the park is adding a thrill ride and a family ride.

The thrill ride, known as Delirium, is sort of like a giant pendulum that will swing riders back and forth as the seats rotate in a circle.

"You're almost upside down," park spokesman Jeffrey Siebert said.

The other new attraction, Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle, will be an interactive attraction in which riders travel graveyards and a haunted mansion while zapping ghosts and ghouls with laser guns.

The ride is based on the television series that debuted in 1969.

"Every ride is different," Siebert said. "It looks like you're riding through an episode of Scooby Doo."

A third ride being built at Kings Island will be announced before the park opens on April 12.

Siebert said that even though the economy has been sluggish, the park will continue to improve.

"The biggest question we ask, regardless of the economy, is what do our guests want," he said. "We are a place where you go to forget your worries."

Cedar Point is finishing construction on Top Thrill Dragster, which will top out at 420 feet and reach speeds of 120 mph.

Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, in Aurora, won't announce its plans for this summer until next month.

While its two competitors drew more than 3 million people a year ago, attendance at the Six Flags park declined.

Six Flags Chairman Kieran Burke said in August that combining Six Flags Ohio and Sea World of Ohio did not work out as hoped. He blamed the northeast Ohio economy for a decline in group sales, which provide about 30 percent of a park's revenue.

The state's amusement parks may face a new tax on tickets this year. Gov. Bob Taft on Thursday set out to expand the 5 percent state sales tax on items including amusement park tickets.

Cedar Point spokeswoman Janice Witherow said, "The impact would be in the millions of dollars."

The amusement park already pays an admissions tax to the city of Sandusky.

Later, Dank

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/money/195...615/detail.html

If there is a tird ride that is actually being built, one can only hope its not Spongebob in 3D. I wouldn't consider that building a new ride either, just changing an existing one. Anyone remember what was said, way back when they filmed the discovery channel thing for TR:TR. Didn't Jeff Siebert say hmmm about some clearings noticed throughout the park. Who remembers all this?

So, 6 Flags is having a hard time. I was sad when they bought Sea World because now if I want to visit a Sea Word - I have to fly to Florida, California, or Texas. I'm glad that PKI - the best park in the world - is doing okay. I know that profits were up in 2001 but have yet to read anything about 2002.

I also received the newpaper articles in my area, I have been to Cedar Point, this is a great park, but lines were too long. Everything is kept up in cleanliness and overall is an amazing park, but I hate the lines! All in all you need about 2-3 days to experience the entire park. About 3 years ago my family and I went to Six Flags/Sea World for 2 days when they were 2 separate parks, my family and I really thoroughly enjoyed Sea World. Got to see most of the shows and enjoyed the scenery. When we went to Six Flags we were rather disappointed, they had a rather decent water park, there version of a water rapid ride was very bad, and a majority of the rides were not even open, probably more than half the park wasn't even operating, I believe this was the first year of SF taking over from Geauga Lake so maybe this was why things weren't up to par. The lines were not long because they were'nt that busy, but we did alot of walking around trying to find rides that were open. And prices to eat were awful, Subway was about $9 a person for half a sub, drink and chips. Not much a variety in shows either. I don't want to entirely judge them on this experience since they were still in the works of renovating the park. We're going to try the visit again this summer so hopefully things are better. When we visit PKI the lines are usually not that long, I like it the most in the fall when the park is not that busy you can usually walk right onto the rides, otherwise I probably wouldn't have had the guts to ride some of the rides that I've riden because I would have time to think about it and then wouldn't do it. I can't wait til the season starts, you won't see me on Delirium though! :rolleyes: